Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    buuuuuuurn!! lol... i joke.

sorry that you are confused about management placement. If it makes you feel any better, well... our uni, you only get to choose one placement, your elective. And all managements are in a 'hospital' setting.
    You may very well enjoy it, and just think it will be easier to interview esp if you are considering a ward job (which i fully understand btw)
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Who's enjoying their 2 weeks off then? :p:

I am working, doing uni work and unable to get home. Fun times lol.

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks? Im getting 4! Hehe :tongue:

Not bad. Ive come home early though so not to get stuck

ReputationRep:
    Niceee!! I've "technically" got 6.. as we're "off" until placement in Feb.. but we've got loads of work to do, so i'm going to be sensible and actually do the work come Jan 4th lol.

Mum thinks they might have to come get me..eek. I wish the snow would feck off now

Christmas should be good though. I feel like santa with all the nice presents I have for people

ReputationRep:
    Weeks!? Just the talk of weeks is making me jealous!

Im getting days! Home on the 24th, back to uni for placement on the 29th. Sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    Weeks!? Just the talk of weeks is making me jealous!

Im getting days! Home on the 24th, back to uni for placement on the 29th. Sucks.
    Noooo! Are you far from home?

It makes me glad im a jan starter at times like this as i can enjoy a stress free xmas. However my summers are ruined! My last xmas as a student though i may get away with working xmas next year as i'll be new lol

What family traditions do you guys have at xmas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Noooo! Are you far from home?

It makes me glad im a jan starter at times like this as i can enjoy a stress free xmas. However my summers are ruined! My last xmas as a student though i may get away with working xmas next year as i'll be new lol
    About 30-40 miles so not to bad, but just hoping this horrible weather holds off!

I know, ive absolutely loads of work to be doing at the moment/ over christmas but just cant be bothered to look at it when come home after a shift.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is as a 22yr old i'd much like the flexible shifts and unsocial wages- as most would agree! My tutor thinks i should go for a ward my heart is broken!!!
    I guess this must be a local thing - before I started training I was an HCA for the community nursing team and worked permanent unsocial hours so it is possible in some areas at least to get community and some unsocial hours payments... They might however not put you on the unsocial shifts that soon if they have a choice as a NQ as you've got a lot less support on out of hours I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky Stothart)
    I guess this must be a local thing - before I started training I was an HCA for the community nursing team and worked permanent unsocial hours so it is possible in some areas at least to get community and some unsocial hours payments... They might however not put you on the unsocial shifts that soon if they have a choice as a NQ as you've got a lot less support on out of hours I guess.
    In mt trust theres a seperate team based at the hospital which cover the whole of nottingham & surrounding areas. Its a big team but they're there as an evening service and nights. They just go in and follow the care plan set out by the DN team, instead of asessing & evaluating. So they do those hours and its very limited in terms of autonomy, and you can only DO nights lol

ReputationRep:
    Question, swine flu jabs...has anyone had them?

Im pretty set against the idea, was absolutely fine last year and alot of people i know who had the jab ended up really ill etc. However this year im on placement and my ward is the standby ward for when the one next door is full with swine flu (In short they only need to fill around 3 more bays before it spills over to us).

We've been getting fully stocked up etc, being show/fitted for masks etc but im still bit hmm about the jab. Occy health keep coming up the ward and vaccinating us but im just not keen.
    I know its seen as high risk 'front line job' and all that, but aside from the nursing i dont have anything else putting me at risk.

Just opinions etc really please guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    Question, swine flu jabs...has anyone had them?

Im pretty set against the idea, was absolutely fine last year and alot of people i know who had the jab ended up really ill etc. However this year im on placement and my ward is the standby ward for when the one next door is full with swine flu (In short they only need to fill around 3 more bays before it spills over to us).

We've been getting fully stocked up etc, being show/fitted for masks etc but im still bit hmm about the jab. Occy health keep coming up the ward and vaccinating us but im just not keen.
    I know its seen as high risk 'front line job' and all that, but aside from the nursing i dont have anything else putting me at risk.

Just opinions etc really please guys
    Have you had the seasonal flu jab? As its combined, as carers we're advised to get it. Theres no right or wrong- i had it and was fine. Just go with gut instinct.

Just had post about the NHS Graduate management scheme, is it wrong m considering it? More money, benefits and an interesting role..may apply as a 'back up'. Feel like im fraternising with the enemy lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm proper against the flu jab at my age to be honest...I don't really have a reason why, just instinct tells me it's not a good idea. Quite like the HPV jabs - if i was young enough, i wouldn't have had those either! Things like MMR, i'm all for... but the ones that have only been around a few years...no thanks - don't kow enough about the side effects. And tbh, i'm young and fit and should be able to fight off a bit of seasonal flu

I've not heard about this NHS graduate management scheme... what's it all about? Without googling, the first thing that comes to mind is that it's very little patient contact? What's the point?! (I'll go google now in case i'm very wrong :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    I'm proper against the flu jab at my age to be honest...I don't really have a reason why, just instinct tells me it's not a good idea. Quite like the HPV jabs - if i was young enough, i wouldn't have had those either! Things like MMR, i'm all for... but the ones that have only been around a few years...no thanks - don't kow enough about the side effects. And tbh, i'm young and fit and should be able to fight off a bit of seasonal flu
    Yeh, pretty much my opinion aswell.
    Im assuming should i change my mind at any point i would be able to get it through occy health.

ReputationRep:
    Merry christmas guys..

The 12 Days of Christmas for Nurses

On the 12th day of Christmas, my workplace gave to me:

12 staff complaining
    11 sets of orders
    10 call lights glowing
    9 patients whining
    8 ******-off families
    7 sets of vitals
    6 phones a-ringing
    5 used bedpans!
    4 IV starts
    3 new admits
    2 doctors yelling....

And not even a break to go pee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQo1zD6nKRc

ReputationRep:
    Merry christmas guys..

The 12 Days of Christmas for Nurses

On the 12th day of Christmas, my workplace gave to me:

12 staff complaining
    11 sets of orders
    10 call lights glowing
    9 patients whining
    8 ******-off families
    7 sets of vitals
    6 phones a-ringing
    5 used bedpans!
    4 IV starts
    3 new admits
    2 doctors yelling....

And not even a break to go pee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQo1zD6nKRc
    LOL I love this... though I think they're having a laugh with 12 staff complaining... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    LOL I love this... though I think they're having a laugh with 12 staff complaining... :p:
    True!

Ive just made my placement requests. Asked for a thoracic surgery ward as my management and an acute cardiac ward for critical care.

So we'll see! Should find out the start of jan my placements for 2011!!

ReputationRep:
    True!

Ive just made my placement requests. Asked for a thoracic surgery ward as my management and an acute cardiac ward for critical care.

So we'll see! Should find out the start of jan my placements for 2011!!
    More like two "overworked very stressed and on the verge of a breakdown" staff complaining :p:

Oooh cardiac should be good Defintiely wanted a surgical management as opposed to medical then?
    Do you think you've made the right decision deciding against community?

We're not being offered the chance to pick our managements now since the hospitals merged loads of wards and the trust has taken on too many students...we now have no placements hardly for us all, so we've lost the chance to request anything.. get what we're given. SUCKS!

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas guys

ReputationRep:
    this Christmas sucks!!!

i have swine flu... and i have ran out of my inhaler so i am struggling to 'remove' the phlegm... lol...
    and i have a big bio-med test on the 6th, and have done little to no revision!!

agh... will reduce me to tears

ReputationRep:
    Oh nooo. Get better soon louise!!

Im so bored now..ok i've had my break and it's been great- but I want to get my third and final year over with!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.