The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louise_1229

i had an extremely vindictive, pretty sure that is the appropriate word... who made my life hell on placement.
She took my portfolio out of my bag, and wrote in my book, without consultation..
... that I had a poor attitute, that i was disrespectful to staff and was inconsiderate!

this on the day, a family member died in the same hospital... I went to occupational health, got signed off on the sick... and am refusing to go back to the ward.
And I accept not neccessarily the course of action I would advise... but, it is over now :smile: thank god xx

Sorry to hear that. I can't believe mentors do that...
If a mentor had problems with their students is it not better to have a formal meeting and discuss things like adults and maybe trial that student with another member of staff in case it's just a personality clash as opposed to purposefully make somebodys life hell?!
You back at uni now then?
Original post by dani_88
Sorry to hear that. I can't believe mentors do that...
If a mentor had problems with their students is it not better to have a formal meeting and discuss things like adults and maybe trial that student with another member of staff in case it's just a personality clash as opposed to purposefully make somebodys life hell?!
You back at uni now then?

no going out on another placement... then back to uni x
Sorry to hear about your placement experience. Makes you wonder about some people sometimes.

I've my next placement though; district nurses at a local health centre. Could be interesting, unfortunatly cant find much info about the place so we'll see. Im quite glad im getting away from the wards for a change though.
Original post by Becky_90

Sorry to hear about your placement experience. Makes you wonder about some people sometimes.

I've my next placement though; district nurses at a local health centre. Could be interesting, unfortunatly cant find much info about the place so we'll see. Im quite glad im getting away from the wards for a change though.

Ooh :biggrin: Awesome! I am LOVING my district nursing placement. It's such a nice change from being on the wards.
Urgh some people get right under my skin!

We usually have placement profiles for each placement, its just something we can have a quick look at when we get a new placement, give us an idea of the things we could be doing etc.
Anyway for my new DN's placement there wasnt one of these, it said just to contact the link lecturer, so i did.
Recieve a snotty email back from her today saying we have been told on numerous occasions our placement could change anywhere up to two weeks before we are due to go on them, so i shouldnt assume i have my DN's placement till then so shouldnt be contacting her until then!
Jeezzz! I only wanted a little bit of insight into the area! Dont play me off to be dumb and all that ****! Its not like im ringing them two months in advance to work out shifts, i just wanted some flipping info!
Reply 1765

We usually have placement profiles for each placement, its just something we can have a quick look at when we get a new placement, give us an idea of the things we could be doing etc.
Anyway for my new DN's placement there wasnt one of these, it said just to contact the link lecturer, so i did.
Recieve a snotty email back from her today saying we have been told on numerous occasions our placement could change anywhere up to two weeks before we are due to go on them, so i shouldnt assume i have my DN's placement till then so shouldnt be contacting her until then!
Jeezzz! I only wanted a little bit of insight into the area! Dont play me off to be dumb and all that ****! Its not like im ringing them two months in advance to work out shifts, i just wanted some flipping info!

don't you just love a helpful lecturer!?
So frustrated right now :frown:

Been sent home from placement after being unable to walk.
Banished to my bed with antibiotics and not allowed to work for a few days.
I hateee having days of placement and having to make time up :frown:
Original post by Holamigo
well,I finished my 9 weeks placement - last placement of 1st year :-) Passed all my outcomes :biggrin:
Back at Uni now... this week has been a 'study week'. I re-sat my osce... not sure if I passed? but when I said the reading. . . my tutor smiled as if I got it right!So i'm not sure.
I'm looking forward to my 2 weeks off in Feb, although I have to make up 4 nights on placement... and also 2 uni days - helping with interviews grrr. But any time off will be nice at the moment.

So exciting! Cant believe how quickly your first year has gone! Have you made a decision about changing branches?

Im counting down the days until my annual leave in april!
Original post by dani_88
Been put forward for degree pathway next year yay :smile:

Yay! Glad my moaning about work & finances didnt put you off- it is better in the long term :smile:

My dissertation is just going nowhere..right now there are plenty of other things i could be doing so...i do them instead of my dissertation! I think i may actually sit down tonight and actually do some reading!
Hey, I haven't actually started yet but hope to go to the UEA this September to do a degree in Mental Health Nursing.

Any of you guys have any hints/tips on what to expect? I know everyone's experiences will be different on this one.
i had an extremely vindictive, pretty sure that is the appropriate word... who made my life hell on placement.
She took my portfolio out of my bag, and wrote in my book, without consultation..
... that I had a poor attitute, that i was disrespectful to staff and was inconsiderate!

this on the day, a family member died in the same hospital... I went to occupational health, got signed off on the sick... and am refusing to go back to the ward.
And I accept not neccessarily the course of action I would advise... but, it is over now :smile: thank god xx

Thats just awful!!! There are some people who should just not be mentors! Just totally unprofessional and no awareness for your feelings!

Glad its over..bad mentors make you stronger, and give you a better reason to be a better nurse and future mentor!

Im starting to get pre-placement nerves. 1st time on a ward as a student nurse since 2009! Everyone keeps telling me how you're expected to just act as a staff nurse now too..its so much different to being on a ward as a HCA etc :frown:

Ugh, what a Coventry University Netball Team..if you get my drift :ninja:. I hate it when lecturers treat us like schoolkids!

Apologies for multiple posts..trying to catch up with everything! Had a stressful week, which has resulted in me having a lovely cold cough, headache and feeling like crap...!

I think i just need to sit down and PLAN everything, im really concerned how little effort i appear to be putting into work this year!

My last ever exam in 16 days!!!!!!!! Its an osce on a systematic asessment of a patient whos deteriorating, and the two practice sessions i've had so far i've passed with around 18-19 points, and to pass i need to get 12, so its not that bad! I think its more staying calm and keeping my documentation clear. Luckily both of the examiners is my tutor and a lecturer who i get on well with (as she teaches anaesthetics...and i want to go into anaesthetics lol) so maybe that could swing my way lol.

Ooo and i get to spend some shifts with the paramedics aswell to get some outcomes signed off which will be exciting!

Finally, excluding placements, i have 31 days left of teaching in uni left till i leave....:frown:
Reply 1772
Original post by Subcutaneous

Ugh, what a Coventry University Netball Team..if you get my drift :ninja:. I hate it when lecturers treat us like schoolkids!

Apologies for multiple posts..trying to catch up with everything! Had a stressful week, which has resulted in me having a lovely cold cough, headache and feeling like crap...!

I think i just need to sit down and PLAN everything, im really concerned how little effort i appear to be putting into work this year!

My last ever exam in 16 days!!!!!!!! Its an osce on a systematic asessment of a patient whos deteriorating, and the two practice sessions i've had so far i've passed with around 18-19 points, and to pass i need to get 12, so its not that bad! I think its more staying calm and keeping my documentation clear. Luckily both of the examiners is my tutor and a lecturer who i get on well with (as she teaches anaesthetics...and i want to go into anaesthetics lol) so maybe that could swing my way lol.

Ooo and i get to spend some shifts with the paramedics aswell to get some outcomes signed off which will be exciting!

Finally, excluding placements, i have 31 days left of teaching in uni left till i leave....:frown:

I can't believe you have a sad face for no more lectures haha!! :tongue:

I got my first 2nd year essay mark back yesterday - 70% yay :smile: got another one to hand in tomorrow though and i honestly have no clue whether i have done what they want or not the whole module is just totally vague! but ive done what i can, just gotta wait and hope for the best now really!

visited my next placement in paeds a and e last week and got our first 3 weeks rota out of a total 4, and met one of my mentors who seems really nice - i love organisation haha!!

Plus we start officially on monday but my first shift isn't til tuesday so i get a long weekend off after this essay business! B-E-A-Utiful :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
So exciting! Cant believe how quickly your first year has gone! Have you made a decision about changing branches?

Im counting down the days until my annual leave in april!

I know, it has gone super fast!!! it's scary:s-smilie:

Yes i've made a decision - sticking with adult!!!:biggrin: keep my options open and i'm sure I will find an area that will suit me...

Ive got 4 nights to make up on placement this week eurghh :-(
I really don't know whats wrong with me at the moment. I'm getting anxious all the time and having anxiety attacks and I'm worried its because I dont know where i'll be soon..stress of qualifying etc.

It's really getting me down :frown:
I really don't know whats wrong with me at the moment. I'm getting anxious all the time and having anxiety attacks and I'm worried its because I dont know where i'll be soon..stress of qualifying etc.

It's really getting me down :frown:

Don't worry, things will be alright in the end...just a few weeks more and you will be done :smile: Good luck with finals.
I know it's easier said that done but try to keep calm about things, dont worry. Everything will fall into place, its fear of the unknown.

I go back to uni tomorrow, two weeks off finished already.
Dreading Tuesday- exams results day and im 99% sure i've failed it!
Original post by hayyleyy

I'm a first year student nurse and started in September. I just want to ask you all how you manage with any anxiety off the course? I am so, so stressed out :frown: I'm on top of everything but terrified of doing something wrong and been thrown off...

hope you're all well :smile:

I would say as a first year: stress less! Or you're screwed further on in the course :p:
Remember you're supernumery and to work within your limitations. Make sure you're observed doing things until you feel comfortable doing them and always observed with drugs and what not. Chill out, enjoy the course, listen in theory, enjoy your placements. We all make mistakes, it's how we deal with them that's important :smile:

And if your uni is anything like mine, you can fail plenty and still be allowed to practice :rolleyes: (i don't advocate failing though :p:)
I'm a first year student nurse and started in September. I just want to ask you all how you manage with any anxiety off the course? I am so, so stressed out :frown: I'm on top of everything but terrified of doing something wrong and been thrown off...

hope you're all well :smile:

To be honest im one of those people with the trait of being laidback, i amble only and usually the pressure has to be on (a bad trait you may say!)

I agree with Dani though. First year is the time to just get to grips with things, there's no need to push yourself to the point of anxiety because that it itself wont be doing you any good.
You wont do anything wrong. You're supernumary and even if it doesnt always feel like it you are being supervised, dont do anything you feel uncomfortable doing, theres always someone to double check with.
What's causing the stress? The workload, placements?
I totally agree with dani, one of the worst things you can do in 1st year is to work TOO hard!

I have suffered with a fair bit of anxiety in 3rd year more than anything- had a few panic attacks last week and got really wound up in a burns lecture. We had to do maths to calculate fluid resuscitation, burns % on patients and as it was maths (my weak spot) I just burst into tears.

I've heard from a few third years though it's not a HARD year but emotionally tough in coming round to the fact you're qualifying etc. I'm really struggling with that aspect, plus i'm extremely nervous about my next placement...just how much will be expected of me. I don't feel ready yet!

AND I can't decide on a dissertation topic yet..which is really bad as i need to decide NOW!

On the positive side..my last ever exam in a weeks time, despite crapping myself i'm excited that its my last exam as a student and the end is in sight now!!

Latest

Trending

Trending