Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    PS pardon the predicted text errors the touch screen on my phone so sensitive =]

ReputationRep:
    OMG so tired,

Our nursing association just did a pub quiz for charity, EIGHTY people showed!

So chuffed yet so tired now lol xx

ReputationRep:
    Urgh my essay sucks
    I started writing it about MI then COPD... did really well with the COPD one and wrote over 2000 words...
    Went on my lovely 7 week placement...
    Re-read it today hoping to finish it today and realised what i'd written before my placement was 2000words of pure crap!
    So now i'm at a total loss and don't know what to write my essay on, because i don't really find copd interesting.. but i don't want to make my life too complicated which is what i'll be doing with all the other ideas i've had today.
    Gah.

Any words of wisdom anyone? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Also, i'm planning to meet with my tutor about the drugs situation...and i'm really nervous about it...
    I'm doing the right thing telling uni right?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    Also, i'm planning to meet with my tutor about the drugs situation...and i'm really nervous about it...
    I'm doing the right thing telling uni right?!
    I don't know what the drugs situation is, but im sure if any doubt..shout!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I don't know what the drugs situation is, but im sure if any doubt..shout!
    Long story short...
    Flatmate keeps doing drugs...in the flat...it's pissing me off coz our neighbour hates us...so she could easily ring the police and then we'll all get screwed over. She's been known to go onto shift while having done drugs the night before etc... sooo unprofessional.
    I don't overly care what she does in her personal time... just hate drugs being IN my flat..
    I'm just nervous about telling uni. But people keep telling me i should.

ReputationRep:
    Long story short...
    Flatmate keeps doing drugs...in the flat...it's pissing me off coz our neighbour hates us...so she could easily ring the police and then we'll all get screwed over. She's been known to go onto shift while having done drugs the night before etc... sooo unprofessional.
    I don't overly care what she does in her personal time... just hate drugs being IN my flat..
    I'm just nervous about telling uni. But people keep telling me i should.

About 6 months ago i was in the exact same position! It isn't nice. you need to get out of that flat as if one of your neighbours or someone else happens to call the police and there is a drug raid then you could be done for it too.

Just be prepared though that the girl may still be on your course after telling the tutor. Which happened to me. . . they actually gave her weeks notice before the urine test so she could have a 2nd chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    About 6 months ago i was in the exact same position! It isn't nice. you need to get out of that flat as if one of your neighbours or someone else happens to call the police and there is a drug raid then you could be done for it too.

Just be prepared though that the girl may still be on your course after telling the tutor. Which happened to me. . . they actually gave her weeks notice before the urine test so she could have a 2nd chance.
    See this is what i'm worried about... uni either doing nothing or making it sooo obvious that there's going to be a drugs test so that people just don't do drugs for a short while and pass it..
    I don't really have anywhere else to live though so i don't know what to do
    And if the girl ends up staying, she really would make my life even more hellish than she already does.
    It feels like it's a no-win situation really.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell them Dani.
    Like already said, you need to put yourself in the clear before any kicks off and you get risked caught up in the mix. She wouldnt have to know anything said to uni came from you.
    When i had to go to uni over issues with my housemate and her on the course, everything remains confidential unless i say so or it has to be said due to the nature of the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    I'd tell them Dani.
    Like already said, you need to put yourself in the clear before any kicks off and you get risked caught up in the mix. She wouldnt have to know anything said to uni came from you.
    When i had to go to uni over issues with my housemate and her on the course, everything remains confidential unless i say so or it has to be said due to the nature of the subject.
    Yeah i'm going to tell my tutor to keep it confidential while i work out what i want to do.. i'm just telling her to get some advice and know my options really...
    I don't want to **** over peoples futures... but i don't see that it's ethical or professional for people to be turning up to work on placement high as a kite or on a come down and i really don't want it in my flat and i've told them but they're not listening.
    Ah this dilemma sucks

ReputationRep:
    See this is what i'm worried about... uni either doing nothing or making it sooo obvious that there's going to be a drugs test so that people just don't do drugs for a short while and pass it..
    I don't really have anywhere else to live though so i don't know what to do
    And if the girl ends up staying, she really would make my life even more hellish than she already does.
    It feels like it's a no-win situation really.

I know exactly how it feels! I was also living in the same house as the girl and it was very awkward and i went through hell at the time wondering if she knew it was me who told and i still don't know if she knew it was me but it seemed everyone in the group had heard rumours about it so if it wasn't me who told would have been someone else.

And it's best coming from you - say if anything does happen and the police/uni think you are involved in the drugs you have it as evidence that you told the uni and weren't happy about it.
    Make sure you tell the uni to keep it confidential & not to mention your name. What I found hard was as soon as i told them there wasn't much support for me at all, i wasn't kept informed whether she knew it was me or not and whether she had passed the drugs test. They just wouldn't tell me anything except ' it's confidential ' so just be prepared for that, its quite fustrating when you have built up the courage to tell them then they don't keep you informed at all

I am glad i told the uni though because you have to think this girl is going to become a nurse - she's going to be dealing with medication, what's to say she wont take some?! and she'll be looking after vunerable people - think if she comes in on a shift after taking drugs the night before, it could result in many mistakes being made in the worst case causing someone to die?! and knowing that you never told anyone would make it all worse.
    The uni have said they will do random drug tests throughout the year but they give them weeks notice so the drug is out of their system?! so the whole thing is just pointless really. I really hope the whole thing made her think twice about how close she was to being kicked off the course but somehow i recon she's still doing the drugs and just thinks it was a lucky escape!

Hopefully your uni will be better at sorting it out than mine!!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I agree.

I had the same problem. I could tell my side of the story but that was it, i couldnt be told anything from uni because that was confidential on my housemates side. Can be a bit fustrating.
    At the end of the day you have to think about it like mentioned above- she's going to be a nurse. Looking after vulnerable people, its not fair, right or professional. Ok, what people do it their own time it their own business but its a different matter when their personal life is going with them to work.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice and help guys. I'll let you know what uni says..if anything! Although my uni is incredibly useless and i bet they do nothing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Hope it went/ goes ok

ReputationRep:
    You say they are using 'drugs'. If I presume correctly that you mean recreationally then this could be anything between having a drink and stoking up a crack pipe. You don't sound like you think that she is in an at-risk situation and I can understand your concerns with placement (but can anybody claim to have never gone in as a student with even slightly boozy breath?? one glass of wine too many or 'dangerous' through staying up too late. It's different when you are qualified or a bit older, but you're a long time dead) but what does that have to do with you? If she is on a high or a massive come down, it's gonna show and her mentor would have a responsibility to intervene. If she has smoked a spliff the night before, it is unlikely to leave her high as a kite or on a comedown, if she shot up heroin that morning it is a different situation.

Lots of people on my course used drugs recreationally, just like any other group of students. They also drank heavily which is equally destructive. I won't dispute that drugs are destructive by their very nature (and this includes alcohol) but there is a significant difference between use and abuse and involving university for some small time recreational drug use by a student seems a little petty and a little prissy. If you had concerns for her welfare, I would be a lot more sympathetic but it sounds very much like a case of you aren't getting your way in regards to drugs in the flat and you are gonna go tell teacher. Well teacher can't do **** all about your housing situation and I am sure there are some student-led services at your SU to advise you if you really want out of the housing situation. My advice is to bare in mind that regardless of your feelings personally you are seriously jeopardising someone's career and is that what you want to do? Incidentally I am teetotal, but I have been round the block a few times and think that you should come to some sort of more amicable agreement.

Unless you feel her drug use is so severe that either herself or patients are at risk of course (much like subcuts concerns about patient dating student nurse), which is something am almost sure you will tell yourself, but the picture you paint sounds more like you are trying to win a battle by doing the dirty. Sorry if this upsets.

ReputationRep:
    I feel quite strongly about student nurses doing drugs. The girl i lived with was snorting cocaine on a regular basis then going onto a shift the next morning - she was also selling it, you think that's right!?!?!

Cocaine is a CLASS A drug. which means if found by police - up to 7 years in prison!! it's a serious thing.

(Original post by davey jones)
    It's different when you are qualified or a bit older, but you're a long time dead) but what does that have to do with you?
    Why is it different when qualified? it has a lot to do with her because she's living in the same house & could also end up getting in trouble for the drugs.

Lots of people on my course used drugs recreationally, just like any other group of students.
    Just because lots of people do it, doesn't make it right!!! And nursing students are very different to other students - we have more responsibilities and not forgetting the code of conduct.

My advice is to bare in mind that regardless of your feelings personally you are seriously jeopardising someone's career and is that what you want to do? Incidentally I am teetotal, but I have been round the block a few times and think that you should come to some sort of more amicable agreement.
    What **** advice that is!
    She is not jeopardising this girls career, this girl is messing it up all by herself. She is taking drugs when training to be a nurse?!?!?! it just isn't right at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I feel quite strongly about student nurses doing drugs. The girl i lived with was snorting cocaine on a regular basis then going onto a shift the next morning - she was also selling it, you think that's right!?!?!
    Well cocaine is addictive particularly if used on a regular basis, but its effects are short lived so as far as placement next day; I am not sure that it is entirely relevant. I would be far more concerned for her welfare if she is doing an extremely addictive and extremely expensive drug on a regular basis and having to supplement her income by criminal activity. That makes her a victim in my book.

Cocaine is a CLASS A drug. which means if found by police - up to 7 years in prison!! it's a serious thing.
    Criminal law has little to do with the moral implications of her actions. If you follow politics you may have noticed that government drug advisers resigned in protest to the law and policy around drugs. Also, a raid by police of a student house for using some party drugs? Are we in reality? Police target large scale dealers and attempt to break supply chains. Not kick around students for partying a bit hard.

Why is it different when qualified? it has a lot to do with her because she's living in the same house & could also end up getting in trouble for the drugs.
    I am not saying that it is not a reasonable dispute, I am questioning what can be gained from her actions. Furthermore, it is different when qualified if you turn up with boozy breath because you are ultimately in a position of responsibility. I turn a blind eye to student's (as do nearly all my colleagues) because they should be young and enjoy life a little. It's a ****ty position as a nursing student, so you have to make the best of it.

Just because lots of people do it, doesn't make it right!!!
    I sort of feel like that is a false dichotomy. Not all of human behaviour is wrong or right, there are shades of grey in between that are questionable acts with unclear moral implications. Drug use is one of them. Are you the abuser or the victim? Are you just enjoying yourself or are you falling into a pit of addiction?

Also accepting that lots of people use recreational drugs, may not make it right but it doesn't make it unusual.

And nursing students are very different to other students - we have more responsibilities and not forgetting the code of conduct.
    The code of conduct you are bound by after registering? The responsibilities you have to do what? act in a moral and proper way towards members of the public that come under your care? has there been a question of the student in question breaching that expectation (not a rhetorical question)?

What **** advice that is!
    She is not jeopardising this girls career, this girl is messing it up all by herself. She is taking drugs when training to be a nurse?!?!?! it just isn't right at all.
    I think you are living in a different world to the one I grew up in. Do you think that nurses are blue angels? They are a cross section of the society. They get sick, they use drugs, they drink, they smoke. They are same as everybody else. As I have said, not everything is right or wrong. Not everything is good or bad. The only helpful distinction I can raise, having been a previous abuser is that between use and abuse. You can't make peoples decisions based purely on what you do, you can't be the moral compass and report anybody who doesn't comply with your expectations. If you have fears for this girls well being, there are better ways to manage them or help her than reporting her to uni in the hope that she will be punished.

Similarly, I am not trying to make your decisions for you or the girl we are discussing (dani 88). I am simply identifying that maybe you both have unrealistic expectations of behaviour of people because of your expectations on your own behaviour. Maybe you have been a bit sheltered from the reality of the mass use of drugs or maybe you have been so exposed that you despise anything to do with them. I wouldn't make presumptions, but I think that 'telling teach' whilst in a dispute with the person about their behaviour is a questionable action. I also think that some of your take on drugs and their social/moral implications are a little immature and can be surmised as simply; drugs are bad and shouldn't be used by anybody.

Would any of you be so bothered by her drinking? Is it simply the legal issue? does that make drinking good or right somehow? I see drink as equally as destructive as any drug, and more so than some of the more common ones. We haven't yet been informed of what drug/s the girl in Dan 88's situation is using.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what?
    I spent most of the weekend thinking it was a stupid idea telling uni anyway...
    It is none of my business what this girl gets up to..
    I just feel really awkward in my own home with all the drugs and all the people that come round and do drugs and the fact that she's clearly one stop away from addiction town.
    I was only ever going to speak to my tutor for advice, not to write a formal complaint or act on it formally... because i don't want to **** over this girls career... she will more than likely do that herself.
    If i do then i'm a hypocrite because i've tried drugs myself in the past.
    And you're right.. we do all turn up to work with a hangover and things from time to time. I know nurses are no saints.
    Mentors HAVE picked up on her and tried to fail her on a few occassions..but uni seem to find ways to pass people that placements don't want passing!!
    I just hate being here and was at a loss at what to do. She threatened to knife someone on a night out and that same night tried to punch me before my other flatmate intervened. I shouldn't have to feel soooo damn intimidated in my own home but i do and i can't move because of the contract and i even asked uni if i could move campuses at the end of the academic year and was told no.
    I just don't know what to do and hoped the forum and my tutor would have some good advice.

ReputationRep:
    i bet your student union has some advice service that would cater far more appropriately for you. Other than that you can try and sub let your room or enquire if your landlord or letting agency has rooms free in other houses that you could move to. Your friend does sound a bit mental like, I won't dispute that.

ReputationRep:
    well i totally disagree as a nurse you might see other nurses doing stuff you really don't agree with that could affect patients.. to just keep quiet about it is just as bad as the person doing wrong.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.