Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My OSCE is on Friday and I am pooping myself about it. It's a really straight forward OSCE but it's always nerves that get the better of me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Can't wait to be a mentor and get my own students next year! I'm going to really nag to go on my mentorship course!
    How soon after qualifying are you allowed to do the mentorship course??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    My OSCE is on Friday and I am pooping myself about it. It's a really straight forward OSCE but it's always nerves that get the better of me!!
    How did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    How did it go?
    Well the drugs calcs/ttos/handover etc all went okay and i think i did everything i needed to do.. but i had a breakdown with nerves when i couldn't get the manual bp lol.. so i don't know if i forgot to do something or did something wrong just because i was so nervous..and i was so nervous im pretty sure i actually made the resps up lol.. oops.

Results are back really quickly so don't have to wait too long to find out luckily.

How'd yours go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    Well the drugs calcs/ttos/handover etc all went okay and i think i did everything i needed to do.. but i had a breakdown with nerves when i couldn't get the manual bp lol.. so i don't know if i forgot to do something or did something wrong just because i was so nervous..and i was so nervous im pretty sure i actually made the resps up lol.. oops.

Results are back really quickly so don't have to wait too long to find out luckily.

How'd yours go?
    Its the nerves that are the killer eh? Well i hope you did good

Mines not until middle of June, should hopefully find things out about it this coming monday.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you two both did fine! OSCE's really are evil...but tbh better asessing our nursing skills than an exam!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 2nd week of placement in the rehab hospital - really enjoying it so far but worrying about my osce which will be on the 5th/6th week. I don't think I can do it
    Its my first placement of 2nd year and I feel i don't know enough and feel terrified at the thought of giving a handover Have any of you felt like this?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I'm on 2nd week of placement in the rehab hospital - really enjoying it so far but worrying about my osce which will be on the 5th/6th week. I don't think I can do it
    Its my first placement of 2nd year and I feel i don't know enough and feel terrified at the thought of giving a handover Have any of you felt like this?!
    What's you osce?

To be honest i know how you feel regarding the placement thing. When i started 2nd year everyone kept saying 'ohhh, you cant hind behind the 1st year excuse now' but you'll suprise yourself with how far you've come and what you know compared to when you started.
    I used to hate handover and still do to a point. Im lucky that the first few times i did it it was taped handover. I didnt do a face to face handover until i started 2nd year. Is it face to face?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with exams everyone- 3rd year is so worth it and so much better!

2 weeks till i finish this ****ty placement, I've calculated that if on my next placement if I do 3 shifts a week I only have 30 shifts left as a student nurse!!! Or 360hours left to complete!!

woo!

ReputationRep:
    Im having real trouble deciding on an elective!

I had something ideal outside of my unis circuit area planned, however this has fallen through. Luckily uni are still letting me request something within our own circuit area but i just dont know where to pick!

ReputationRep:
    How practical would it be to have a part time job while doing a nursing course?
    My part time job at the moment is evenings and shifts are normally between 4pm - 11pm and are generally quite flexible as to what days and times I can work as long as I give enough notice (usually about a week).
    The reason I am asking is because i originally planned to leave my job as I thought I would be busy enough with uni work and placements but when I mentioned to my boss I might be leaving he was very interested in changing my mind and keeping me on.
    So would it be practical to work maybe two nights a week especially at times between 4pm and 11pm?

ReputationRep:
    Im having real trouble deciding on an elective!

I had something ideal outside of my unis circuit area planned, however this has fallen through. Luckily uni are still letting me request something within our own circuit area but i just dont know where to pick!
    It's a good idea to choose somewhere that you aim to work in the future, its bumps up your job application then as you are already familiar in that area of work. Mine was also my management placement so uni would not let us choose critical care environments as we wouldnt be able to meet some of the learning outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    It's a good idea to choose somewhere that you aim to work in the future, its bumps up your job application then as you are already familiar in that area of work. Mine was also my management placement so uni would not let us choose critical care environments as we wouldnt be able to meet some of the learning outcomes.
    Thanks.
    The only thing is at our uni we arent allowed to pick the same place for our elective and internship, so they say leave your internship for the place you would like and work and use your elective to pick something different but that you have an interest in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    The only thing is at our uni we arent allowed to pick the same place for our elective and internship, so they say leave your internship for the place you would like and work and use your elective to pick something different but that you have an interest in.
    Ahh I see, we only had the choice to put in a preference for our management.

ReputationRep:
    Passed my osce and my essay yay

Not quite as convinced about the probability of passing this end of year exam tomorrow though... everytime i tried to revise, i fell asleep.. and last minute, night before cramming is not going well! lol

ReputationRep:
    Why does job hunting have to be so stressful?

I think it's becoming my version of procrastination from my dissertation...which is currently going nowhere...despite needing to be in 3 months!

I had a dream that I had a tracheostomy last night....its getting to the point where my dissertation is seeping into my sleep, not good!

ReputationRep:
    Finally been signed off on this placement and finished...best experience ever as I was so bored on there!!

Now only have one page left in my big book to get signed..and it's my sign off sheet!! eeeeek!

ReputationRep:
    I finished my district nursing today aswell!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on endoscopy... and to be honest, i'm a little miffed about it... i feel like there's no real nursing there and there's actually very little i can do in the way of skills or anything...

I swear they keep forgetting i'm a second year too... "Do you know how to take out a venflon?" and "Why don't you go and look up the link between diabetes and obesity.." are among some of the 'omg i'm at the end of my second year' stuff that's been thrown at me...

I told my mentor that i like a challenge and i want to be pushed and have responsibility and she just said she wasn't a hard task master and that i'm fine.. but i just hate not doing a lot.. but there really is very little i can do.. because it HAS to be the nurse that does the admissions because of the consent and they wont even let me draw up drugs because they've been told i can't.. wtf?! :\ ARGHHH

Any ideas guys?!

ReputationRep:
    I'd try and speak to your tutor and practice link teacher and see if they can have a word with the placement regarding what you can/can't do. It's really difficult as it's always changing!!

Why don't you ask that they see you do a few so they know you're competant? How long are you on there?

Argh...Just writing in my last ever lot of lectures! So sad that this'll be my last time in uni, i have 2 weeks back after management and thats it

Most boring lectures in the world, cannot believe they're making us sit through them..

-clinical governance
    -Visualising leadership
    - Clinical risk management
    -Contempory policy day
    - decision making and delegation
    - changing management
    -managing complaints

The ONLY interesting lectures are the mentorship ones- which I enjoy as i love teaching etc. Grrr...! Also have my last holiday in august before i enter the world of work, ah so exciting but so sad!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.