The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benjibean
Okay so I'm starting nursing this year Sheffield, the adult branch cannot wait. Someone who has just done there first year in nursing or previously has sum it up for me!

Mixed!
Bare in mind im not a Sheffield student. At first it's all new and exciting however i must admit lectures etc start to get a bit tedious after a while, there's nothing much to get stuck into. Placements are ok. I found my first 3 quite interesting and you are constantly learning while out in practice, always something you dont know etc. By the end of it i was just wanting to get stuck into 2nd year.
Ah, I'm having such a good day!

1. Our nurses graduation ball has been organised and looks AMAZING! Just..amazing...http://www.nottinghamchristmasparties.co.uk/
2. I've got a job interview for a summer job as a waitress to bring in some last minute cash. My dissertation would be done by then, and all my assignments and I'd just have management placement so have more time to do some extra work etc
3. BURSARY IS IN TOMORRROWWWW!
Original post by claire4095
Hopefully going to study nursing at York university! So excited :smile: anyone else going there orr got any tips?
thanks x

I start there in October :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ooooooooooh, whats your offer for?
Might see you there lol!
xx
Hi guys...

Sorry to be grumpy and all that, but nursing soc is a thread for current nursing students. Theres an applicants thread here- although if you want you're more than welcome to start one for 'freshers' starting soon?

However when you guys start you'll be welcome here anytime :smile:
Second year blues like you wouldn't believe.

Got a B+ on my intermediate assessment though...so hopefully a nice A at my final fingers crossed.
Exam results out today... i don't want to know as still totally confident i failed.

Hope everyone else is okay :smile:

Going back to my hole of blues and resentment now. Bring on third year that's all i say.
Original post by dani_88

Got a B+ on my intermediate assessment though...so hopefully a nice A at my final fingers crossed.
Exam results out today... i don't want to know as still totally confident i failed.

Going back to my hole of blues and resentment now. Bring on third year that's all i say.

Let us know how you do...bet you havn't failed!!
Original post by dani_88

I know the feeling, 2nd year blues suck!
Hope you did well in your exam :smile:
Original post by Becky_90
Ohh, that sounds interesting!

My osce, ermm...i think it went ok. I think i was ok with actually performing the two skills, the questions they asked weren't too bad however a couple of times my mind just went completely blank or i couldnt put into the correct words what i was trying to get across, which is the irritating thing because i knew that i knew it, nerves etc just got the better of me. Hopefully i'll have done enough to pass but only time will tell!

what was your osce on? when will you find out if you've passed ? sure you have :smile:
i've just finished placement yesterday :-) loved it! and i got really good feedback of all the staff :biggrin: Just gotta get stuck into my 2 assignments now eurghh.
Original post by Holamigo
what was your osce on? when will you find out if you've passed ? sure you have :smile:

Hypertension and diabetes. We didnt know until we got in there, so we got asked a few questions on each then i had to perform a manual bp and administer insulin. Should hopefully find out soon, results being posted Monday apparently.
Okay, so how does everyone cope financially hoping to start nursing this september, i've heard its annoying to get a job as hours can be annoying. Any advice on earning money as a student nurse anyone?
Original post by benjibean
Okay, so how does everyone cope financially hoping to start nursing this september, i've heard its annoying to get a job as hours can be annoying. Any advice on earning money as a student nurse anyone?

Im working as a waitress part time at the moment, which is paying the bills and only two nights a week so workable around placement.

I wouldn't advise it in 1st year as you're still finding your feet and study style. I coped up until I switched to degree...
I really can't afford to do degree next year... Sat and had a big conversation with my parents about it and i just can't financially afford to do it.
I really just don't want it to affect my chances at getting a decent job when i qualify.. It's not the end of the world at all, and i know i can always top up, it just kinda bums because academically my essays are good enough. On a bit of a downer about it at the moment. We've looked into a lot of options but my parents just earn too much...but they don't have enough spare to really help me out with as much as i'm gonna need due to getting sweet FA next year if i switch. I do have a job as well, but i would literally have to work loads in order to cover a lot of the expense next year and that just wouldn't be feasable alongside the degree. Second year blues continue on...happy days.
Original post by dani_88
I really just don't want it to affect my chances at getting a decent job when i qualify

It won't.

Seriously, some of the degree nurses might have you believe that they learn loads of different stuff, and are much better profeshunels etc, but newly qualified nurses don't need degrees (they need masters degrees even less). And the diploma and Bachelors degree nurses all fall into the same pool of newly qualified unlikely to be able to locate arse and elbow but they will be fine in a few months, those 60 level 3 credits mean little. Employers are experienced nurses that are not going to be impressed by any degree, particularly from a newly qualified nurse. They're not fools and they interview for newly qualified posts hoping to get somebody who isn't a liability.

The additional letters after your name might look nice on the c.v., but that is the only difference holding a degree makes for nurses. In fact, it gives you some professional development to do in the first few years of qualifying. But having done it myself, it makes not a bit of difference.
Argggh There is a neuro job going in london- I'm only applying to non-nottingham posts if they're neuro/critical care areas...and this is one of them!

I just don't know whether the hospital is good or not....It's at the Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals Trust, and i've heard bad things about it. Anyone who's been there on placements/know about it have an opinion?

Worth going for it?

I got told to reapply for the surgical asessment unit job 3 months after i qualify...too bloody late by then!
Passed my OSCE!!
Original post by Becky_90
Passed my OSCE!!

Woo- how've you done in 2nd year overall?
Original post by Subcutaneous
Woo- how've you done in 2nd year overall?

Pretty alright actually. I've one last assignment to submit and get marked etc before i find out officially but its looking good! :smile:
Passed my end of year exam yay! Soo pleased, because i literally came out of that exam and cried and was so convinced i'd failed so i'm really chuffed. Though i think they must have been drunk or something when they marked it because i did really well lol...i have no idea how?!

Congrats Becky on passing your osce :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending