Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I have a bit of a dilemma. I've nearly graduated with a BA in English Literature from QMUL. I have applied for an Msc Management at the following unis and received these offers:

- King's College: 2:1 (over 65)
    - UCL: 2:1
    - Imperial: an offer but conditions aren't specified yet (probably 1:1)

Which one would you pick and why? Bearing in mind that:

- KCL: £9000
    - UCL: £12000
    - Imperial: £20000 (I think I could only go for this one if I get the Women's scholarship)

I can't decide which uni to go for. Imperial obviously is head and shoulders above the others, but if I don't get a first and a scholarship, it's out of the picture, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know this is not relevant to your questions. But I wondered if I could ask you a quick question. Which degree did you apply for at Kings? As I assumed that you needed a social science related degree to get a place for a Management Msc there?

I studied there myself at the Strand campus so if you want to ask any questions about social life, facilities etc. feel free.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the Msc International Management. I know it does state on the website that you need a social science related degree, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I haven't really seen any discussion about the Msc Int. Management at King's anywhere though, so I don't know how popular or how good it is, hm.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go or UCL, because i doubt having Imperial instead of University as first word justifies the 8k premium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflowersofevil_)
    I applied for the Msc International Management. I know it does state on the website that you need a social science related degree, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I haven't really seen any discussion about the Msc Int. Management at King's anywhere though, so I don't know how popular or how good it is, hm.
    Well you could always email each department and ask if they could put you in contact with some alumni or something so they can advise you.

Or maybe just go for the course that seems the best fit for you. I've studied the 'with management' course at kings alongside my degree but they're all taught by visiting lecturers bar one i believe. So i haven't had any experience of the 'real' management course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I also applied for this course at KCL. So did u actually receive an offer and which uni are going to choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kseniya_123)
    Hi! I also applied for this course at KCL. So did u actually receive an offer and which uni are going to choose?
    I did receive an offer, yes - conditional upon receiving 65 or over. Imperial ended up only asking for 60, as did UCL - so it'll all depend upon how much I'll end up getting and if I can get a scholarship for Imperial. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I did receive an offer, yes - conditional upon receiving 65 or over. Imperial ended up only asking for 60, as did UCL - so it'll all depend upon how much I'll end up getting and if I can get a scholarship for Imperial. How about you?
    Imperial only want 60 and you're currently doing English Lit? Do you have any work experience or particularly good EC stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial if you don't get it UCL if you don't get that KCL.

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student and I have another conditional requirements, but I am not sure if I meet them. I am required to get an overall average grade of minimum 4 out of 5 and my current grade is 3,9. Hopefully, I will get in )) I applied also for City and Queen Mary but my best choice is King's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggieffc)
    Imperial only want 60 and you're currently doing English Lit? Do you have any work experience or particularly good EC stuff?
    Yes. I did two internships; one in a marketing department and one assisting a production manager. I also come from a Maths background at college. They must've liked my application answers and skype interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnivores)
    Imperial if you don't get it UCL if you don't get that KCL.
    Yeah, I think that's what I'll be going for. Not sure if I will go to Imperial if I don't get the scholarship though - 20,000 is a lot.

King's College, I think, ranks lowest for me so far, yet they ended up being the most difficult to get into!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kseniya_123)
    I am an international student and I have another conditional requirements, but I am not sure if I meet them. I am required to get an overall average grade of minimum 4 out of 5 and my current grade is 3,9. Hopefully, I will get in )) I applied also for City and Queen Mary but my best choice is King's
    Good luck - I'm sure you'll get in! Even if you end up with a 3,9 - they might still be flexible. I got an offer from Queen Mary as well (very much a back-up choice if I got no other offers), but I don't think I'll be going there.

ReputationRep:
    September is coming closer and I need to make up my mind about which uni to go to for my Msc Management! Advice/opinions are appreciated.

I got a First in my BA English, so I have met the offer conditions for all of the unis:

- King's College: 2:1 (over 65) --- (£9000)
    - UCL: 2:1 --- (£12000)
    - Imperial: 2:1 ---- (£20000)

I didn't qualify for any scholarships or bursaries, so costs definitely also play a role in this.

I've been reading threads like this (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1687705) and now I'm completely undecided.

Help?

ReputationRep:
    If your budget can stretch that far then I would say go to imperial. They are the only ones with a dedicated business school. I am also of the opinion that the Imperial brand holds the greatest lure for employee's. Saying that £8,000 is ALOT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.