Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hi,

I'm going to be applying for economics in the 2012 cycle with the possibility of taking a gap year and reapplying in 2013 with achieved grades if I don't get my desired choices. I was just wondering if someone could clear up for me how this would work...

If I had a secured gap year placement which was somewhere I definitely wanted to attend, would applying to the top 5 universities (Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick etc.) and not getting an offer damage my chances for the next year? I realise they would all be very difficult to get in too and should expect nothing more than five rejections. BUT if I did do this, would this count against me when reapplying to 2/3 of them in the 2013 cycle with achieved grades?

Also, how does deferring work? Do you have to apply stating the intention of deferring or is it possible to defer your place once you have the offer?

Sorry if the post sounded confusing, any help would be really appreciated.

SUMMARY: Would applying to top universities as a long shot damage my chances for reapplying to them the next year if I got rejected?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can't reapply while holding a deferred place.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    You can't reapply while holding a deferred place.
    If I had a place from any of the universities I'd be happy though, but if I got rejected from all five of them when I apply for the first time does this dampen my chances for the second time I try them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    If I had a place from any of the universities I'd be happy though, but if I got rejected from all five of them when I apply for the first time does this dampen my chances for the second time I try them?
    No. However, you need to bear in mind that grades are not the only factor that determines whether you get an offer.

You might like to take a look at How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections . Even if you think you are prepared to take the risk, don't underestimate how demoralising an experience this can be, especially as there are no guarantees you would do any better the next year. It's been known for seemingly low risk unis to reject people too. Economics is one of the most competitive subjects going, so the chances of this happening are even higher.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Minerva)
    No. However, you need to bear in mind that grades are not the only factor that determines whether you get an offer.

You might like to take a look at How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections . Even if you think you are prepared to take the risk, don't underestimate how demoralising an experience this can be, especially as there are no guarantees you would do any better the next year. It's been known for seemingly low risk unis to reject people too. Economics is one of the most competitive subjects going, so the chances of this happening are even higher.
    I understand that, but the second year I apply will be much more realistic choices, I won't exactly be happy with 5 rejections but I won't be happy with 5 offers from universities I don't want to go to either, I may as well aim very high for the first year, and be more realistic in the second?

ReputationRep:
    I understand that, but the second year I apply will be much more realistic choices, I won't exactly be happy with 5 rejections but I won't be happy with 5 offers from universities I don't want to go to either, I may as well aim very high for the first year, and be more realistic in the second?
    As long as you know what you might be letting yourself in for. It is sensible to make sure you are a realistic candidate for those places - as I say, it's not just about grades. For LSE GCSEs will be especially important, and for any uni that doesn't interview your PS will be too. Check out the economics forum for advice on this.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As long as you know what you might be letting yourself in for. It is sensible to make sure you are a realistic candidate for those places - as I say, it's not just about grades. For LSE GCSEs will be especially important, and for any uni that doesn't interview your PS will be too. Check out the economics forum for advice on this.
    Yeah I do need to think about it carefully I know. On another note, do you think LSE will still be so hard on GCSEs considering they're asking for modular UMS scores now?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do need to think about it carefully I know. On another note, do you think LSE will still be so hard on GCSEs considering they're asking for modular UMS scores now?
    Wouldn't care to assume they wouuldn't be, let's put it that way. They were pretty explicit on their website about their expectations for GCSEs but I haven't looked recently - if all else fails, ring them up and ask them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wouldn't care to assume they wouuldn't be, let's put it that way. They were pretty explicit on their website about their expectations for GCSEs but I haven't looked recently - if all else fails, ring them up and ask them.
    On their website it just says they want a majority of A*'s and A's. I have A*A*A*A*A*AAAABB which is a majority... It doesn't actually say anywhere they want 9A*+ That just seems to be the rumours...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.