Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    As a general rule, so long as you meet the grade requirements, any grades in excess don't make a huge amount of difference. Subjects/ work experience/ personal statement/UKCAT/performance at interview matter much more.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ligamentia)
    I would love to hear about this so called experience of yours
    I would second that!

ReputationRep:
    In general gcse´s can not be resat without evidence of extenuating circumstances.

I am sorry for your dissapointment but must say I´m surprised that you didn´t get the green light from the med schools first.

It sounds like you went to so much time, trouble and expense without looking into things properly.

Concentrate on reapplying next year, but to eliminate the issue of the resits why not take 5 minutes to email each med school with the question: DO YOU ACCEPT GCSE RESITS?

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delphie)
    In general gcse´s can not be resat without evidence of extenuating circumstances.

I am sorry for your dissapointment but must say I´m surprised that you didn´t get the green light from the med schools first.

It sounds like you went to so much time, trouble and expense without looking into things properly.

Concentrate on reapplying next year, but to eliminate the issue of the resits why not take 5 minutes to email each med school with the question: DO YOU ACCEPT GCSE RESITS?

Best of luck
    I resat GCSE English...

I remember Kings dont accept resits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41jms)
    Your academics are fine. They obviously were for Manchester as they gave you an interview. It will just have been your interview performance that let you down there.

As for the others, you chose 3 medical schools that put great emphasis on your PS, especially Soton and Keele. You have enough work/voluntary experience, so all I can suggest is that you didn't reflect enough upon it. Medical schools don't really care how much you do, more that you do something regularly and have learnt something from it/confirmed that medicine is right for you. If your PS was merely a list of what you've done then that'll be why you didn't get more interviews.

Medical schools are also keen that you have spare time and that you do something with it. I can't remember, but I don't think you mentioned any sports or hobbies, i.e. something you do because you enjoy it and not just so you can put it in your PS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haleem)
    I resat GCSE English...

I remember Kings dont accept resits
    So how did you get around this? Extenating circumstances? Or did you find somewhere that would allow resits?

English GCSE might be the exception, but the guy in question resat eight.

I had to retake maths GCSE, the grade I had was too low but despite being 15 years ago I needed some seriously good extenuating circumstances to be allowed the resit.

When I emailed med schools about my GCSE Maths resit I was given a firm NO.

But like I say, I negotiated using evidennce of some serious ext.c´s
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Poll
Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.