Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm planning to start IB this August.
    I know what subjects i want to study, and i like all of them.
    I know that IB is difficult and all, the portions are big etc. etc.
    What i dont know is the difficulty of internal assesments, the pressure of homework and different subjects, and whether my aims are possible.
    Read this while keeping in mind that i will also be doing various extra activities like rock climbing, orchestra and playing drums for 2 different bands.

Here are my choices:

Group 1: English A1 - SL - Aim : 5 to 6 : I am currently studying in the Indian Board (CBSE)
    and though we study literature and grammar (some literature pieces have been taught in IB i believe), we dont learn and interpret literature to such an extent.
    No 1000 word essays and commentries. Just basic understanding of the meanings and how they are expressed.

So will English hamper my performance... How are the IAs?

Group 2: Mandarin ab initio - SL - Aim : 6 : Im really interested in learning chinese, but i have no idea how its like. Especially the Oral assesments.

Group 3: Geography - SL - Aim : 7 : Im not too worried about this. CBSE Geography teaches you basic concepts and an understanding of the subject, plus i like it.
    Is it a time taking subject though?

Group 4: Physics - HL - Aim : 7 : I love physics, However CBSE physics is merged with the other sciences and thus covers less portion when compared to IGCSE.
    But we tend to learn in a bit more detail and and practise tricky questions.
    Will Physics be extremely difficult? Especially the option topics ( im choosing astrophysics and probably particle physics)

Group 5: Maths - HL - Aim : 7 : I tend to learn concepts easily. CBSE maths is quite tough, but like A levels, the exam is easy, as the questions are predictable.
    How are the IAs for maths?

Im also going to be studying Further Maths SL (aim: 5+) as an extra subject with a certificate.
    How are the exams for these? Will studying Further Maths hamper the rest of my education to a great extent? Im ready to work like hell just btw.

Group 6: Music - HL - Aim : 6 to 7 : I love music. I can play the piano, drums and guitar/bass.
    However by the the time i start IB, i will only be a grade 6
    piano student (ABRSM).
    I dont know what level i am in drums and guitar (self taught)
    but i think i would put myself as Grade 5 in drums and grade
    2 or 3 in guitar (out of a total of 8 grades)
    Will i survive in HL? Im especially worried about the solo performance and analysis.
    Im practising grade 7 piano pieces. Is it too low a level? Im not too worried about the compositions or MI however.

Lastly - Is an extended essay in music a good idea or a bad idea.
    I want to get 3 points from TOK and EE, so can i achieve it with music?

P.S. My school's academic year ends in a few days.
    So i will have 5 months to prepare myself for IB
    which means i can prepare for HL maths and be ready for the speed of further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Doing an EE in music can be a good idea, depends entirely on the topic you choose. I'm not really sure if you should choose music as a subject.. what do you want to study later on? English IA in SL are not too bad, can't remember though but you do a critical analysis of a passage from a book you've read in class. Oh and I think you read 10-12 books, or something like that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by aviklotr13)
    Hi everyone!
    What i dont know is the difficulty of internal assesments, the pressure of homework and different subjects, and whether my aims are possible.
    Read this while keeping in mind that i will also be doing various extra activities like rock climbing, orchestra and playing drums for 2 different bands.

Here are my choices:

Group 1: English A1 - SL - Aim : 5 to 6 : I am currently studying in the Indian Board (CBSE)
    and though we study literature and grammar (some literature pieces have been taught in IB i believe), we dont learn and interpret literature to such an extent.
    No 1000 word essays and commentries. Just basic understanding of the meanings and how they are expressed.

So will English hamper my performance... How are the IAs?

Group 2: Mandarin ab initio - SL - Aim : 6 : Im really interested in learning chinese, but i have no idea how its like. Especially the Oral assesments.

Group 3: Geography - SL - Aim : 7 : Im not too worried about this. CBSE Geography teaches you basic concepts and an understanding of the subject, plus i like it.

Group 4: Physics - HL - Aim : 7 : I love physics, However CBSE physics is merged with the other sciences and thus covers less portion when compared to IGCSE.
    Will Physics be extremely difficult? Especially the option topics ( im choosing astrophysics and probably particle physics)

Group 5: Maths - HL - Aim : 7 : I tend to learn concepts easily. CBSE maths is quite tough, but like A levels, the exam is easy, as the questions are predictable.

Im also going to be studying Further Maths SL (aim: 5+) as an extra subject with a certificate.
    How are the exams for these? Will studying Further Maths hamper the rest of my education to a great extent? Im ready to work like hell just btw.

Group 6: Music - HL - Aim : 6 to 7 : I love music. I can play the piano, drums and guitar/bass.
    piano student (ABRSM).
    Will i survive in HL? Im especially worried about the solo performance and analysis.
    Im practising grade 7 piano pieces. Is it too low a level? Im not too worried about the compositions or MI however.

which means i can prepare for HL maths and be ready for the speed of further maths.
    Hey firstly, I am in the 2nd year of IB and will be taking my exams this May. I also studied in the CBSE system and wrote my board examinations in 2009.
    Got 92% aggregate in CBSE and currently predicted 43 in the IB if that gives you an indicator of what you should target.

1) English is a lot lot different from the CBSE English Lit. You will find the first 2-3 months especially challenging but once you get the hang of it, a 6 is achievable. A 7 is a tough ask and requires to be very competent in English while being able to analyze passages effectively and identifying literary devices (not simple ones like similies, metaphors but more complex ones - imagery, diction, setting etc.)

2) Can't help with Mandarin because I took French Ab Initio but again manageable once you get through the initial months.

3) Geo - no clue. But CBSE Geo was quite easy in my opinion, just memorizing things and map pointing lol of coal mines in India hahahaa.

4) Didn't take Physics but since you're Indian, I am sure you'll manage it.

5) Math haha here is the tricky bit. I got 99 in my CBSE Boards but the first 4 months of HL Math was INSANE. I was scraping 4s and 5s and after a turbulent summer where I revised every bit of dubious topics and actually understood the topics, I started getting 6s and 7s. The big difference is - understanding Math which CBSE does not stimulate (just memorizing).

The Math IAs will be a mammoth task requiring a lot of work and time but I pulled it off with 18/20 on both so I am sure you can too :P

Further Math is basically all the Options topic of HL Math and a few more additional topics which will just be more math really. Once again the difficulty arises from understanding concepts and applying them to insane problems rather than memorizing and applying the same method as in CBSE.

6) not sure about Music at all sorry.

Feel free to bug me with more questions. Always happy to help a fellow CBSE kid

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Here are my choices:

So will English hamper my performance... How are the IAs

The english course is pretty difficult, to be honest. According to our english teachers, it's comparable to first year university standard. However, they're apparently going to overhaul the entire course soon, and drop the amount of studied texts from 15 to 4. So it should get easier, especially at SL. The IAs are fine, the oral is the hardest part, and that's not all that bad.

No idea, I did Spanish B, but if it's the same as other Ab Initio subjects, you should be fine.

There's lots of extra reading to do, and the course is fairly big, so it takes some effort. Also, the essays are fairly long, and can be a little dull at times, though some parts are great. If CBSE is like GCSE level, it's not really the same. IB Geog (and IB in general) is all about analysis and understanding. So, you might get a graph and not only describe it, but explain why it is that way. You'll get used to it, I'd say.

It's fine if you have a good teacher and are interested, but can be tricky in places. Just practice loads of questions. Also, probably too early to be thinking about your options, wait until you've experienced the course a bit. Which options you do might also be dictated by the rest of your class. Astro is pretty good, but there're some things that are always awkward (like Obler's Paradox).

IAs are pretty fine. The exam isn't predictable though, and if you want a 7 you're gonna need to put a lot of work in, to be quite honest. I dont think anyone has ever described the exam as 'easy'. They can ask you almost anything, so you really have to understand the subject.
    I
    m also going to be studying Further Maths SL (aim: 5+) as an extra subject with a certificate.

piano student (ABRSM).

Grade 7 is perfect, but they say you probably shouldn't play more than one instrument so dont worry about drums/guitar. Solo performance is recorded, so it's not like you have an unknown examiner staring at you. Also, the analysis is pretty fine, I only started music in 5IB, and i'm doing fairly well.

If you like music, yeah, it is. As for TOK, it can be hit-and-miss on how well you do. To be quite honest, I'd expect 2 of 3 points, no matter how good you are. It happened last year to someone I know, who expected 3, and it'll happen again.
    There you go.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    thanks for ur detailed responses, ive got a much better understanding of IB.
    @Nunugab:i want to be an architect or a musician...either is great for me
    @rohitronaldo: i just finished my boards...i wont get 92% like you...but thats cuz im really bad at hindi...thanks...its good to know about CBSE students who moved to IB
    Good luck for your exams and wow 43 thats impressive!
    @Karier:Thanks, ur reply helped me out alot...i was really worried about music...Grade7 is perfect!thats great!
    and lol i didnt mean IB maths was easy... i meant CBSE maths is tough but its exams are pretty easy...cuz the questions are predictable
    IB Maths is crazy hard lol

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    thanks for ur detailed responses, ive got a much better understanding of IB.
    @Nunugab:i want to be an architect or a musician...either is great for me
    @rohitronaldo: i just finished my boards...i wont get 92% like you...but thats cuz im really bad at hindi...thanks...its good to know about CBSE students who moved to IB
    Good luck for your exams and wow 43 thats impressive!
    @Karier:Thanks, ur reply helped me out alot...i was really worried about music...Grade7 is perfect!thats great!
    and lol i didnt mean IB maths was easy... i meant CBSE maths is tough but its exams are pretty easy...cuz the questions are predictable IB Maths is crazy hard lol
    I knew there was something going on here, haha...

ReputationRep:
    Is the following subject choice allowed :

Maths, English, Physics --- HL
    History SL, Further Maths SL, Spanish AI

Some teacher told me that Maths HL and Further Maths SL cannot be chosen together.

How difficult is Further Maths SL ?

APPRECIATE A REPLY ASAP AS CHOICES HAVE TO BE FINALIZED MONDAY

ReputationRep:
    it can and has to be chosen together....maybe he thought u were saying maths hl and maths sl
    further maths sl requires maths hl...in maths hl u have 4 option topics out of which you only do one :
    1. Discrete maths
    2. Sets, relations and groups
    3. Series and differential equations
    4. Further statistics and probability
    Further maths SL teaches all of these topics instead of just one as well as onne more topic : Advanced Euclidean Geometry
    Here is a website that has notes and tests on further maths topics...just click on the Advanced high school maths hyperlink and you will see 400 pages worth of notes...the prof who made these notes also added an extra chapter...
    yes your subject choice is allowed, though it depends on your school, they may have some subject timings verlapping each other etc.
    but further maths SL needs Maths HL, you cant do further maths SL without maths HL
    from what ive heard further maths is very hard...but ive seen the topics, theyre not extremely hard to understand, but the questions in the exam will be, because they will be based on the topics in further maths, but use techniques learnt in maths hl...so that can be very tricky...dont take further maths unless your already very good at maths, and like maths alot.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.