Turn on thread page Beta

When me and my boyfriend break up, I know I won't be able to be friends with him. I've found before it makes the healing process much more slower. And I'd dread the day when they have moved on and found someone else. I told my boyfriend this, and he doesn't understand why I wouldn't be friends. Does anyone feel the same as me?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think exes can be friends. like you said I find the healing process is slower and there's always the temptation to go back to them and stuff so it never really feels like it's over

ReputationRep:
    My ex and I agreed to be friends (we sort of knew we'd be breaking up soon) but it just didn't work when we both started seeing other people

ReputationRep:
    Its always the females.

ReputationRep:
    with two of my exes:
    the first we tried to stay friends as soon as we broke up, it really didn't work it 'cause arguments made it harder to get over it all of the stuff you would expect. we ended up not talking for over a year.
    the second we cut contact for a few months and then slowly started talking again which developed into us being good friends.

ReputationRep:
    nope couldn't do it, too many feelings, likely to come back if your friends.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm still good friends with them. Although, my current boyfriend has suggested that if we ever break up after university, he doesn't think he can be mature enough to be just friends with me.

So its not always the girls, just depends on the person and their way to move on I guess...

ReputationRep:
    Remember in Letterland, X was like "kissing cousins" or some****?

lol @ incestual overtones first of all

but also it was such crappy forced alliteration

they did it a couple of times, too, like

it starts with like

annie apple -- yeah good i can go with that
    bouncing ben -- mhm makes sense
    clever cat -- oh sweet yeah cats are clever that's cool

but then there's the ones where they've blatantly just ran out of ideas and it's like

V - VASE OF VIOLETS

WHAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Not with my current exs..

I'm only in contact with one and she is really only good for a regular easy shag :/
    lad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm pretty friendly with an ex. We don't live in the same town anymore so don't see each other as regular but we call/text and met up at xmas etc. She did go through a phase of not speaking to me when I got together with the first girl after her but then she was seeing someone for a bit and then after they split up she was cool with me again. I'd say we are pretty good friends by now.

ReputationRep:
    I tried being friends with one of my ex's, but we would just argue over petty stuff all the time. So we didn't talk for ages, and now it's still not great. :|

And i've cut contact with my last ex, and hopefully in a years time or so we can become friends. I dunno though.

ReputationRep:
    When I tried to be friends, they are not interested.
    But as soon I as I cut them out of my life, they started crawling back ¬_¬

(Original post by Pedrobear)
    Remember in Letterland, X was like "kissing cousins" or some****?

lol @ incestual overtones first of all

but also it was such crappy forced alliteration

they did it a couple of times, too, like

it starts with like

annie apple -- yeah good i can go with that
    bouncing ben -- mhm makes sense
    clever cat -- oh sweet yeah cats are clever that's cool

but then there's the ones where they've blatantly just ran out of ideas and it's like

V - VASE OF VIOLETS

WHAT
    I remember being so confused about the 'kissing cousins.' I remember thinking 'is this right?' And everyone else in my class were so accepting of it and never gave it a second thought. No one would explain why two cousins were kissing, when my mum had told me it was wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to be, but he isn't having any of it!
    Our break up was weird.. stuff happened, but it ended up that we were just acting like best friends rather than bf/gf anyway.. so I thought we'd be able to slip back into being friends really easily, but that hasn't happened.

ReputationRep:
    With the only ex I tried to be friends with after it pretty quickly went tits up when I started seeing a new guy and he was still in love with me and was trying to get me back. It's too messy to do it immediately after the break up IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it a go, after a bit of time, if they were up for it.

I'd love it to work out.

ReputationRep:
    i'm friends with my ex
    we didn't speak for a while to start with, and then didn't get along great when we started to speak again because i was still sore, but now we're perfectly friendly and chat regularly on msn and stuff (live a way away now at different unis), and we've met up once just us which was fine and just chatted, if a bit awkward at first, and also met up a couple of times with a group of mutual friends. i'm glad we're still friends, i hate losing people that meant so much to me once.

my boyfriend now, if we were to break up, we would definitely remain really good friends, i couldn't bear to lose him completely. i even know how difficult it would make it to get over him properly, but we're really close he is literally my best friend too. we split up once and ended up getting back together after a couple of days because we couldnt bear to be apart, and we live together which made it difficult, but we still remained friends and talked and watched TV together, jsut spent more time alone, it was mighty weird though! especially with me bursting into tears every 5 minutes XD

i'm off to oklahoma in august for almost a year to study. if we grow apart as bf and gf while i'm gone, i KNOW he'll still be here when i get back, as a best friend if not more... and i'm glad

ReputationRep:
    One of my ex's is my best guy mate We were together for just over a year (things ended march last year) before we decided just to be mates, we still hang out a lot just together I think we stayed friends easily because it was a mutual ending and we're in the same main group of friends so we could never have cut each other out like some people do.
    But to be fair I've just drifted away from other ex's after trying to stay friends and I couldn't bare to even see the last guy . . .

I hate the thought of losing my ex completely. we didn't talk for three days! then i broke down and texted him. we kept in contact via text for about 2 months. it made me feel better. knowing i could still be single but talk to him about my day. but it actually made things work, he got the impression we were getting back together (and maybe subconsciously i did too, but i didnt want that, only part of me did). we both were stuck. we didn't move on. but i refused to see him (cause i knew id end up kissing him or something). evey now and then i'd get emotional and he'd be there for me through text and keep asking to see me. last week he didn't text as much. i asked him if he had moved on. he said he had.
    Now we haven't texted since.

ReputationRep:
    I still love my ex, maybe its wrong but what can I do, we are still good friends.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.