Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know being fat is just a label but at what weight (BMI) are you that?

ReputationRep:
    it depends on your height, and body shape....

to me, you are fat when you have excess fat in relation to your body

ReputationRep:
    Well my weight is about 9 and a half stone most of the time and and my height....well I really don't know....5'5? What about that?

ReputationRep:
    when your waste is bigger than your hips.

ReputationRep:

Here. Bear in mind that all boundaries are arbitrary anyway. There is no clinical threshold for a person to be "fat". Also bearing in mind that BMI doesn't account for BF% at all, so a lean athlete could be deemed "overweight" because he/she is muscular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    when your waste is bigger than your hips.
    Why, because you eat loads of food and do really big poos?

ReputationRep:
    i would say over 25 bmi, would be fat/overweight, but so many other factors come into account such as whether you build muscles, are pregnant etc. so the best judge is the mirror.

ReputationRep:
    bmi 25 is classified as overweight for white people
    if you're Asian, it's 23
    if you're pacific islander (I think??) it's a bit higher
    can't remember about black people

but then bmi doesn't take into account muscle mass so you could be 'heavy' but very fit and healthy

it's not a particularly accurate measure of fatness, but is easy to calculate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Why, because you eat loads of food and do really big poos?
    you jokes :lol:

ReputationRep:
    18-25=normal
    25< is overweight
    30< is obese
    But BMI is flawed, as it doesn't really take into account muscle to fat ratio, it just uses height and weight. Many body builders would have a BMI well above 25, that doesn't mean they are fat, it just means they are heavy for their height

ReputationRep:
    BMI can be highly inaccurate at times
    my cousin sister was told that she was clinically obese or overweight (i forget ) but she didn't look it. she's just under the average height/weight for a woman in the UK but that confidence breaker put her on a crash diet...but she loves her food so that didn't last very long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you7me)
    BMI can be highly inaccurate at times
    my sister was told that she was clinically obese or overweight (i forget ) but she didn't look it. she's just under the average height/weight for a woman in the UK but that confidence breaker put her on a crash diet...but she loves her food so that didn't last very long!
    BMI is perfectly accurate in what it measures, which is a height/weight ratio. The thing is, that information isn't all that meaningful.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.