Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was certain to go for dundee, but now I've been having second thoughts.

Basically I had a few point that helped me pick my choices:

Teaching Standard - Both are around the same level
    Access to Mountain Biking - Both are good with mountain near by, Aber has a MTB club/society.

Access to Snowboard - Only in Dundee (still need to travel a bit though), and yes I know its not going to be rocky mtn powder every day) both have snowboard snowboard clubs/societys but.

Surf - Haven't looked into this much, I know theres a surf-able beach in Aber, but don't know what sort of waves they get. I heard east coast scotland is good, but not sure of the locations.

Nightlife - Apparently Aber is pretty good, but it being a small town I tend not to believe so, but I would diffenitly prefer a nightout in a pub than a club - I have dance moves an ironing board would be ashamed of and I like to sit around tables with friends and actually be able to hear what they say. Dundee I've had mixed reviews, someone help me out?

Access to the uni - Unless I pay 100+ for a flight to Dundee neither are perfect, but dundee by far the easiest with edinburgh just and hour away, aber is pretty much the middle of nowhere, with brimingham being the closest airport thats a reasonable price.

Dundee is a 4 year course, which make Aber(3yr) seem more appealing.

Aber also gives a £1000 bursary, Dundee £0

So overall I would spend like 5k more at Dundee when you take into account the extra year and the -£1000 bursary, but would come out with £3000 LESS in debt because of the lower student fees loan.

So can anyone give me there thoughts on which seems better?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of night life Dundee is really good. The student union building has 4 floors each with a different bar and with the night club on the ground floor. Really cheap drink and a great atmosphere is why it has been voted the best student union in Scotland and the fourth best in the UK. I go to Aberdeen University and there is not a student union like that here which is gutting. In Dundee city center there are a few good Night clubs mainly liquid and Fat Sam's ( although it all depends on taste) there are also loads of good pubs and bars, but since the end of 2010 alot of these have shut down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris402)
    In terms of night life Dundee is really good. The student union building has 4 floors each with a different bar and with the night club on the ground floor. Really cheap drink and a great atmosphere is why it has been voted the best student union in Scotland and the fourth best in the UK. I go to Aberdeen University and there is not a student union like that here which is gutting. In Dundee city center there are a few good Night clubs mainly liquid and Fat Sam's ( although it all depends on taste) there are also loads of good pubs and bars, but since the end of 2010 alot of these have shut down.
    What about the actually university buildings? Architecture wise, I hate ugly buildings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    What about the actually university buildings? Architecture wise, I hate ugly buildings
    Agreed, I really hate ugly buildings, too. That's one of the reasons why I might rather firm Dundee than Aberdeen to study Psychology because I think the Psychology building in Dundee looks really nice while the one in Aberdeen is just exactly the way I hate buildings.

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/general/camp...e/virtualtour/

ReputationRep:
    You should definatly go for Dundee, its one of the Top 200 universities in the world. In terms of student life in Dundee its fantastic. I've been studying here for 4 years and i've loved evey minute of it!

Great uni, great nightlife, great shops, bars, restaurants etc

The city has a real student feel to it with lots going on all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Dundee is definitely the way to go. i'll go through your categories:

Teaching Standard - Meh, can't say much about either. They are both respected uni's so can't be bad.
    Mountain Biking - Scotland is one of the best places in the world for mountain biking. Dundee's location means you can get to most sites easily. Also the Sidlaw Hills look over the city and apparently have alot of trails.
    Snowboarding - Scottish ranges all in distance of Dundee. Snow sport is getting more and more popular here.
    Surfing - Again Dundee's location means you can get to all the good areas easily. NE of Scotland is apparently quite good.
    Nightlife - Dundee is quite a small city but has two universities, this means that alot of the population are students. I once heard that Dundee has the second highest ratio of students per population in the UK and third in Europe. Basically, the whole city centre (pubs, clubs and shops) are aimed at students.
    Access - There's trains form Dundee to Edinburgh/Glasgow at least once an hour so it would then be easy to get anywhere in England. Dundee airport also does cheap flights every now and again to London.

Accomodation in Dundee is quite cheap and overall I would say the price of living is cheap as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd back up what everyones saying - though of course you are asking the Dundee Universities Forum, DUSA is a brilliant building and as was mentioned earlier Dundee has 2 Universities and certainly the highest ratio of students per head of population in Scotland meaning a lot of investment goes into Student nightlife. I'm more a pubber than a clubber and i'm more than satisfied here.

There is every chance you'd be able to surf at Broughty Ferry and if not you won't be far from a surfing spot i'm sure.

In terms of architecture - Dundee itself is an industrial city, it was built very utilitarian unfortunately but most of the University buildings are probably new builds(someone who goes to Dundee can clarify) and much better.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Dundee
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Nov '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.