Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello I've got offers from both Edinburgh and York for English Lit, so now I have to decide which one I'd like to go to. I've been to both, and I've researched the courses so I have a rough idea of what I'm getting into. At this stage, any input/advice would be greatly appreciated! Anything along the lines of what you feel the advantages of studying at either are, whether you're there at the moment and enjoying/disliking it...that kind of thing. Thank you!

You may have already considered these factors:

English v Scottish course structure. You will be studying stuff other than English for a big chunk of your first two years at Edinburgh.

Assessment regime. York has hardly any traditional exams for English.

Cost. York is considerably cheaper than Edinburgh as a place to live.

Distance. More than 2-3 hours from home and the odd weekend of R & R becomes self-defeating. Also a pain for parents dropping you off/picking you up.

Reputation. York has significantly stronger one for English if you decide to pursue an academic route post-grad. But despite being top 10 in league tables overall, I don't think overall it would make much difference to graduate employment prospects. Both are good, respected unis.

Temperature. Edinburgh always seems freezing to me, maybe it's the granite.

I loved my time at York but can see that Edinburgh would be good too.

I had this dilemma as these were the two universities I liked most. I chose York. Edinburgh is much more expensive to live at and I liked the York course more and the York course has a much better reputation (for english specifically before anyone jumps on me) and has very good teaching. both are beautiful cities. and for the above york can be pretty cold and this is from someone who has lived in edinburgh

(Original post by Bambi2803)
    the above york can be pretty cold and this is from someone who has lived in edinburghh
    Ha, you should try Newcastle with an East wind.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.