Turn on thread page Beta

working 15-18 hours a week watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My friend who is also in year 12 has just got a job and he'll be working between 15 and 18 hours a week.

In january he got Bs and Cs and thinks the rest will be a walk in the park. But because his sixth form is 10 miles away, he leaves home at just before 8am and doesn't get back until about 5pm - and I'm concerned that his grades will drop as he won't have any time to study. He'll be working friday evenings, and about 6each on hours saturdays and sundays.

Is this doable? At gcse he got Cs and Bs and he put lots of work in last term and did well but his sixth form do say that they don't like their students working or doing clubs that take up more than 10 hours a week . . .

ReputationRep:
    In this climate he's better off sticking with the job. But people work differently, some will be able to work loads, commute and just study in the evenings, some will struggle. Hell in a-levels I hardly did any work at home and still came out with pretty decent grades, so as long as he puts a lot of effort in during classes, and some evenings at home.. maybe use the commute to study too.. I wouldn't see a problem with working those hours. He's lucky to have a job. You are a great friend for caring about him

ReputationRep:
    Thanks zebra. I've known him nearly 10 years.

BTW he isn't doing all doss subjects to get those grades; ICT, business, communication and culture studies and spanish. He said that last term he was putting in between 8-10 hours a week per subject to get those grades, and IMO i don't think he'll have enough time especially with most of his weekend taken up at work 7 hours each day if you include traveling and getting ready time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    Thanks zebra. I've known him nearly 10 years.

BTW he isn't doing all doss subjects to get those grades; ICT, business, communication and culture studies and spanish. He said that last term he was putting in between 8-10 hours a week per subject to get those grades, and IMO i don't think he'll have enough time especially with most of his weekend taken up at work 7 hours each day if you include traveling and getting ready time.
    Either way, it's not going to be your place to tell him he's letting himself down. I'm sure if he feels he's not doing as well as he could be he will act on it of his own accord.

ReputationRep:
    I work between 15 and 20 hours a week, depending on what time of the year it is (DIY store), plus doing my A Levels in Yr 13, AND being a member of staff on an ATC sqn. I do have it a bit easier with work being only a mile away, school 4 miles, and ATC about 10, and I'm riding around on a 125cc bike, but I can assure you it's definitely possible. As long as your time management is spot on, and you work during free lessons at school, it is ok to do it all, and have a fair social life.

If anything, my grades improved, working part time for some reason motivates me to work more at school :confused:

It is difficult, but well worth it. Money is good, valuable experience on a CV and uni application and a whole new circle of friends when dealing with workmates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleymann)
    I work between 15 and 20 hours a week, depending on what time of the year it is (DIY store), plus doing my A Levels in Yr 13, AND being a member of staff on an ATC sqn. I do have it a bit easier with work being only a mile away, school 4 miles, and ATC about 10, and I'm riding around on a 125cc bike, but I can assure you it's definitely possible. As long as your time management is spot on, and you work during free lessons at school, it is ok to do it all, and have a fair social life.

If anything, my grades improved, working part time for some reason motivates me to work more at school :confused:

It is difficult, but well worth it. Money is good, valuable experience on a CV and uni application and a whole new circle of friends when dealing with workmates.
    Nice to hear it's doable.

BTW i'm a sea cadet and I'll be staff in september when I'm 18 . . .

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.