Turn on thread page Beta

I have had Glandular fever for a few months now but I'm recovering.. now my boyfriend is vomiting, over tired, aching, coughing etc. Just how infectious is it?

ReputationRep:
    It's not extremely infectious, but it is otherwise known as the kissing disease, as that is how usually it gets transmitted. And as he's your boyfriend, I'm guessing he's had a good deal of that... :P

It sounds like your boyfriend has caught it, as those were my first symptoms too...

ReputationRep:
    Very, I had it over a year ago (courtesy of my boyfriend), and was told that it could actually come back after being clear of symptoms for six months, it just stays dormant and can then pass on to others you have kissed etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's infectious even after you don't have any symptoms anymore. I was seeing two guys straight after each other and the first one of them had glandular fever 2 years back. I had some very mild symptoms (guess some people don't go through it that badly or I had it when I was younger, but soon after the second guy (my current boyfriend) got it and it hit him pretty hard.

(Original post by lalilou)
    It's not extremely infectious, but it is otherwise known as the kissing disease, as that is how usually it gets transmitted. And as he's your boyfriend, I'm guessing he's had a good deal of that... :P

It sounds like your boyfriend has caught it, as those were my first symptoms too...
    It's the vomiting that's confusing as I didn't have that.. I just had nausea yet he's been sick a few times over the last two weeks. I hope it isn't a bug because my immune system really can't take anymore hits..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's the vomiting that's confusing as I didn't have that.. I just had nausea yet he's been sick a few times over the last two weeks. I hope it isn't a bug because my immune system really can't take anymore hits..
    Different people get different symptoms. For me, it began with flu-symptoms, vomiting, really sore-throat and a temperature, and then after about 2-3 weeks, that went away, but I was left with extreme tiredness for over 2 months, and in the mean time I was told not to do any sport (which was a bummer because it was right at the beginning of summer, and I couldn't go swimming or running).

Just tell him to get lots of rest. Unfortunately it's a virus, so there's no way of speeding up recovery, but I doubt it's anything else. He can always go to the walk-in centre and get tested. But maybe to be safe, keep your distance until he's had the test results. But then, when I was tested for glandular fever, one test came back positive and the other negative, which was confusing!

And you need to rest lots. If I remember rightly it's the spleen that gets weakened from Glandular Fever, so don't do any extreme sports until you feel that you've fully recovered. And if you've lost weight (which I did), try and eat big healthy meals so that your immune system gets strengthened.

Apparently it can take as much as 5 months to fight Glandular Fever completely. But as far as I know, you can only get it once, so better now than in ten years, as the symptoms get worse with age.

ReputationRep:
    I had glandular fever, not entirely sure where I got it from. My boyfriend must have an icreadible immune system, as we continued 'as normal' once I was over the worst of it and he was fine....

It affects people differently, I didn't get it that bad, it was just like a really bad sore throat with a fever but that was it. It has affected me in terms of tiredness, and I keep getting ill more often (have a poor immune system anyway). It was bad for my liver, but thats all back to normal now.

Sounds like he might have got it, you should maybe stay away for a while, until he is over the worst of it to stop you getting ill again. Oh and you are infectious for ages even after you're syptoms stop because it's a virus.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.