Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If someone studied at a mediocre university, what are the chances of their studying an MA at a top university?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on lot of things: The university you studied at, the course you studied, the course you're applying for, the university you're applying to, your grades (1st, 2.1 etc)...

ReputationRep:
    Can you give examples of mediocre unis? . My brother in law used to be an admissions tutor at LSE and he mentions mediocre unis all the time. everyone knows but me

ReputationRep:
    What's a "mediocre" and what's a "top" uni?

ReputationRep:
    UWE seems mediocre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadooo)
    Can you give examples of mediocre unis? . My brother in law used to be an admissions tutor at LSE and he mentions mediocre unis all the time. everyone knows but me
    Too many to list examples, but those in between the top 15 and the truly dreadful.

(Original post by Bourgeois)
    What's a "mediocre" and what's a "top" uni?
    As above. A top one would be Oxbridge (obviously), UCL, St Andrews etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    It depends on lot of things: The university you studied at, the course you studied, the course you're applying for, the university you're applying to, your grades (1st, 2.1 etc)...
    Classification, yes, if a university asks for a "good honours degree" then they will usually mean a 2:1 or first (often around 63 - 65+) However, the university the student obtained their undergraduate degree from usually has no importance.

So yes, it is possible to do a masters at a "top" universities even with a BA from a "mediocore uni". I don't even need to ask what is meant by a "mediocore uni" as, whether a Russell Group or post-1992 it is of no relevance. But it's always an interesting discussion....

(Original post by rylit91)
    Too many to list examples, but those in between the top 15 and the truly dreadful.
    Right.......

How on earth do universities become "mediocore" after this rather arbitary number of fifteen? Or even 20 or so? Especially as the "top fifteen" varies across league tables and, in reality, there is little difference between most Russell and 1994 Group universities?

As above. A top one would be Oxbridge (obviously), UCL, St Andrews etc.
    What makes Russell Group universities ranked below fifteen inferior to those, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Right.......

How on earth do universities become "mediocore" after this rather arbitary number of fifteen? Or even 20 or so? Especially as the "top fifteen" varies across league tables and, in reality, there is little difference between most Russell and 1994 Group universities?

What makes Russell Group universities ranked below fifteen inferior to those, then?
    This is more a nonplussed question rather than a criticism, but why do spend time redressing every idiot who has a distorted view of prestige, league tables, the quality of various instituions? Every time there's a post, you're there. Its like a one man crusade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reviresco)
    This is more a nonplussed question rather than a criticism, but why do spend time redressing every idiot who has a distorted view of prestige, league tables, the quality of various instituions? Every time there's a post, you're there. Its like a one man crusade.
    They have to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reviresco)
    Because I have no life :emo:

I'm not the only one, well, I'm the only one actually left :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Because I have no life :emo:

I'm not the only one, well, I'm the only one actually left :p:
    Rather you than me, but keep up the good fight.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.