Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it that each generation of teenagers have become more and more immature? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems that you can't find someone who will act their age these days. All the girls care about are looks and hardly ever take personality into account. And as for the boys, they make the rest of us ashamed of our gender, the way they toss girls around or just have them on for a quick shag and then sack them off. The way everyone *****es about eachother, it's pretty unreal. I hang with this group at school and whenever someone in that group isn't there, the rest of them are talking so much **** about them and it really gets to me, because I know for sure there's been stuff said about me before. Why can't they just grow up? I can't wait to go to college or even so just get out of high school, hopefully there are more mature and genuine people I can meet.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a teenager yourself how do you know your parents' generation were "more mature"? What's more likely is they were just as bad at the time but now they are actually more mature you get the impression they were like that all along.

Teenagers are teenagers. If you don't get along with the people you hang out with then find different people to hang out with. College isn't a magic maturity pill, it'll just be different people, some of whom you may get along with, some of whom you may not.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it's great to have someone who has lived through every moment of human history on TSR so that they can tell us about the degeneration of teenagers throughout the millennia. Oh no, wait, you're just talking crap, my bad

ReputationRep:
    I know you are, but what am I? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    This thread is stupid and is now instead about how above poster will apparently flash for rep.

Because their parents are spoiling them and wrap them in cotton wool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Wow, it's great to have someone who has lived through every moment of human history on TSR so that they can tell us about the degeneration of teenagers throughout the millennia. Oh no, wait, you're just talking crap, my bad
    Whether or not previous generations were more mature than us (perhaps it's uncertain with our parents, but for our grandparents and older, I definitely think so - at least, they had more decency) there's no doubt as to how increasingly shallow and immature our generation has become. Feel free to disagree, but there's no need to be a prick about it.

I agree OP. I noticed this the other day, there's some seriously pedantic **** you'd expect of year 8s, not year 13s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Constructions)
    It seems that you can't find someone who will act their age these days. All the girls care about are looks and hardly ever take personality into account. And as for the boys, they make the rest of us ashamed of our gender, the way they toss girls around or just have them on for a quick shag and then sack them off. The way everyone *****es about eachother, it's pretty unreal. I hang with this group at school and whenever someone in that group isn't there, the rest of them are talking so much **** about them and it really gets to me, because I know for sure there's been stuff said about me before. Why can't they just grow up? I can't wait to go to college or even so just get out of high school, hopefully there are more mature and genuine people I can meet.
    Human nature i'm afraid.

Also, these upcoming generations are so SPOILT it's actually getting ridiculous now.

Please explain to me what a 12 year old needs a BlackBerry for. Please.

ReputationRep:
    There are still some decent teenagers out there, don't lose hope.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that though, wasn't the whole media different to what it is today? And that is exactly what is changing the way people behave now. You didn't have shows like Skins and all these ****ing reality shows influencing people in the past, did you? I mean I guess that's just the way it is, what can we do.

ReputationRep:
    It does seem that every year, the year 8 girls at school get a little bit sluttier, louder and stupider.

... and smaller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    It does seem that every year, the year 8 girls at school get a little big sluttier, louder and stupider.

... and smaller.

Exactly my point, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure every teenage generation has been like this.

ReputationRep:
    Establishment of 'teenage' as a stage in its own right...giving so much importance to childhood...Lolita

This comes into my mind when I think of that...but not all of us are like that.
    http://s.bebo.com/app-image/65333618...4/05/chav2.jpg

ReputationRep:
    It's not that though, wasn't the whole media different to what it is today? And that is exactly what is changing the way people behave now. You didn't have shows like Skins and all these ****ing reality shows influencing people in the past, did you? I mean I guess that's just the way it is, what can we do.
    That doesn't mean anything. Not everyone imitates TV shows you know? MOST people recognise that Skins is not an accurate representation of normal teenage life. Besides, your original point is ridiculous, as people have already pointed out. You have no statistics or proof to back up your statement. Chances are, most adults will have behaved in exactly the same way as teenagers do today, regardless of media influence - it was much easier to drink underage etc anyway and other things. As someone above me said, they have just grown up so you BELIEVE they were more mature when they were younger when I highly doubt this is true.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly my point, thank you.
    Of course that's nothing to do with the fact that as you pass Year 8, you become more mature and thus every year they seem less so? Think about it logically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Locke)
    I'm pretty sure every teenage generation has been like this.
    Let's put it this way: When I was in Year 7 (Which was only about 4-5 years ago), I can't think of Year 7's or myself going out and getting pissed on a Friday night, now they're all doing it, and even taking drugs and having sex at that age. (I mean, even though only a few years later, I started drinking at 13, I even took weed a few times, but I have come to my senses now) And Infact, it was only last year when I saw the front of a newspaper, saying a 12 year old had become a dad. That's when you think to yourself, what the **** is this world coming to?

ReputationRep:
    this.

Sorry but it's a fallacy to suggest that this generation is any different in this respect than any other.

Let's put it this way: When I was in Year 7 (Which was only about 4-5 years ago), I can't think of Year 7's or myself going out and getting pissed on a Friday night, now they're all doing it, and even taking drugs and having sex at that age. (I mean, even though only a few years later, I started drinking at 13, I even took weed a few times, but I have come to my senses now) And Infact, it was only last year when I saw the front of a newspaper, saying a 12 year old had become a dad. That's when you think to yourself, what the **** is this world coming to?
    When i read this .... :lol:
    http://www.urbanjunkies.com/london/i...-285-spark.jpg

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.