The Student Room Group

cancer story

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for sharing this. My boyfriend is currently going through a cancer scare, he's having his testicle removed on monday. Reading this has greatly encouraged me that if it turns out to be bad (they haven't said what it is as of yet, they don't seem to know), people do get through it.
People hear the C word, and yeah its scary as hell. More people should share their own stories, to help people going through similar things.

I am glad you are on the road to recovery, and thank you again for sharing your inspirational experience.

I hope all went well with your boyfriends operation today
Reply 21
Thanks for that I'm glad you're better now. Good luck for the future x

Inspiring story , my uncle has had cancer and my mother twice, she's always in and out of hospital so your story is great and gives you hope for when you're feeling down.

:smile:

Edit- thats my reading for the week done :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Uzzy?
Thanks for that I'm glad you're better now. Good luck for the future x

Inspiring story , my uncle has had cancer and my mother twice, she's always in and out of hospital so your story is great and gives you hope for when you're when feeling down.

:smile:

:console:
Reply 23
Original post by lonely14
:console:

Reply 24
Original post by wilco04
This happened 6 years ago while i was at uni. I made it back to uni and got my degree. Just want to show anyone else in this position that you can beat this!

Thank you for sharing your story i'm so glad i got the oportunity to read this, i have never read so much (online). This is really inspirational stuff, it shows such character and strength to be able to take on cancer especially at such a young age. good luck to you.:smile:
Original post by wilco04
This happened 6 years ago while i was at uni. I made it back to uni and got my degree. Just want to show anyone else in this position that you can beat this!

Thanks for sharing, kind of puts things in perspective really!
Reply 26
no problem. Just hope it helps people :smile:
Reply 27
Thank you for posting this. I was beginning to feel really down because I haven't heard or met anyone else in the same situation as me, and it was all beginning to get a bit too much.

Congratulations on your degree, this has made me realise that I don't have to give up everything I wanted from my life, because my body decided to have a hissy fit... :smile:
Reply 28
That's one of the most incredible and inspirational things I've ever read. Whatever you want in life, you damn well deserve it.
Reply 29
not letting me edit the post again for some reason. What i mean is students having to take time out from uni due to illness
Reply 30
Well done you must feel so lucky!
I don't know how I would have coped if I were in your position though.
Good luck for the future!
Reply 31
Every day i realise how fortunate i am. You just find a way through it. I have always been a stubborn so and so and got that mindset about my illness. If it was going to beat me i was going to make sure it wouldn't be easy! Thankfully i was one of the lucky ones!
Reply 32
Just moving this up for anyone else to see if they want to
Reply 33
Original post by wilco04
I had to cut it out as it went over the character limit.

Hi, and thanks for sharing your story. I'd like to make a small correction - you say in the first paragraph that you had testicular and abdominal cancer, yet you had the same thing as Lance Armstrong. If this is true, you never had abdominal cancer, what you had was testicular cancer that had metastasised to your abdomen. Abdominal cancer means that abdominal cells have turned cancerous, whilst testicular cancer metastasised to your abdomen means testicular cells that have turned cancerous that have spread to your abdomen.

This is why testicular cancer that has spread is a much easier cancer to cure than, say, lung cancer that has not spread, as testicular cancer cells are easier to kill than lung cancer cells wherever they are in the body. Metastasised testicular cancer has a 5 year survival rate of 71%, whilst for example, lung cancer, even when it hasn't spread only has a 5 year survival rate of 49% (note I am talking about the point of diagnosis.)

Thanks again for sharing your story OP.
Reply 34
That is so inspirational, thank you for sharing your story, I'm so glad I clicked on this thread, I've never read something like this before. Glad you're better now x
Reply 35
no problem. It is why i wrote it. (well i wrote it for two reasons.) First of all it was just as an outlet for what had happened to me. Had all this stuff going round my head and needed to let it all out. Then when i looked at it i had thought about how it could help others and thankfully it has
well im glad you survived, however now you have made everyone else feel like they may have something wrong with them even if they dont :/
Reply 37
sorry. That was not my intention! Just if you aren't feeling right get yourself checked out!
Reply 38
@tufc yeah it had metastasised. Sorry for any confusion caused
Original post by wilco04

Incredible story, read all of it.

Original post by wilco04
no problem. It is why i wrote it. (well i wrote it for two reasons.) First of all it was just as an outlet for what had happened to me. Had all this stuff going round my head and needed to let it all out. Then when i looked at it i had thought about how it could help others and thankfully it has

Did you write this specifically for TSR or was there any other reason? I'm sure a cancer charity would love to have something like this.

Did you have noticable lumps on your testicle before/when you found out you had cancer? I just wonder what these lumps feel like?

Quick Reply

Latest