Turn on thread page Beta

Another "help I think i've failed" thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Right,

So last term was okay, I started uni, went to fresher, made friends, had fun, passed my exams and went home for xmas.

Long story short, January came around and a number of my old relatives decided they didn't like the look of 2011 and began dropping like flies.

Overall this term has been hellish for me and uni has dropped further and further down my priorities list as I became more and more depressed. I'm in counselling and told the uni I was struggling back after my aunt died but things have been getting worse since then and I'm pretty certain there is no way I can pass this term. I don't want to have to resit it though, given the family issues I've been having, what are the chances of the uni letting me write this term off or take a few extra courses next year to make up credits?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fliss_pop)
    Right,

So last term was okay, I started uni, went to fresher, made friends, had fun, passed my exams and went home for xmas.

Long story short, January came around and a number of my old relatives decided they didn't like the look of 2011 and began dropping like flies.

Overall this term has been hellish for me and uni has dropped further and further down my priorities list as I became more and more depressed. I'm in counselling and told the uni I was struggling back after my aunt died but things have been getting worse since then and I'm pretty certain there is no way I can pass this term. I don't want to have to resit it though, given the family issues I've been having, what are the chances of the uni letting me write this term off or take a few extra courses next year to make up credits?

Thanks.
    I doubt your university would allow you to write off the term completely, and apart from resitting in the summer, I don't know how else you could do it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you get extenuating circumstances for the duration of this term. You'll need a doctors/family letter etc.

I very much doubt you'll be able to 'add a few modules on next year'. Your choices, I expect will be either redoing the year or resiting in the summer. If you make a few requests now, you should be able to get 'first time resits' in the summer...so don't take the exams after Easter, and sit them for the first time in summer. This means you wont get capped at 40%. that way you might have some extra time to get to know the material. Alternatively, take a year out to deal with your issues and come back to uni in a year's time? Might do you good as uni has become such a low priority.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about the tough time you're having.

Apply for extenuating circumstances for all of your exams, if the worst comes to the worst then resit, if you still don't pass then perhaps re-do the first year or take some time off until you're in a better position mentally to continue with uni. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.