Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'm only 16 so I haven't even finished GCSE's yet. Now read the theoretical situation below-

I get 8 A*s at GCSE.
    I get AAA at A level.
    I have done sufficient voluntary work.
    My UKCAT score is reasonably good.
    My interviews go well, but I don't really 'stand out'.

Is it possible for me to get rejected by all the universities i've applied to? I'm fully capable of getting the grades I've stated above, but can I still get rejected even if I apply to the med schools with the lowest entry requirements?

ReputationRep:
    In one word.. Yes.

A lot of people do, year after year. I'm one of them this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The entry requirements are just there to reduce the amount of applicants they have to consider. Regardless of how "low" they are for some universities, the competition is still intense. Ultimately, if your interviews are uninspiring relative to other applicants, then it is likely that you get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Yeap, especially if you don't apply to University's that play to your strengths. What's your UKCAT score?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes. People with much, much better grades have been rejected in the past and I'm sure will continue to be rejected in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradfordCityJoss)
    Yeap, especially if you don't apply to University's that play to your strengths. What's your UKCAT score?
    Just assume that it is fairly good, but not excellent.

I want my four choices to be- Oxbridge, Liverpool/Manchester, Insurance, Insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Best friend got 11 A*s at GCSE, and is predicted 3 A*s at A-level. She got a UKCAT score in the 720's (can't remember exactly what), but she has been rejected from all her universities.

It's just one of those things unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)

I want my four choices to be- Oxbridge, Liverpool/Manchester, Insurance, Insurance.
    Fair enough, just make sure you check out which Universities allow applicants with your score. Go for it by all means, you've got a good chance but at the same time realise that it is possible to get all rejections back.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'm only 16 so I haven't even finished GCSE's yet. Now read the theoretical situation below-

I get 8 A*s at GCSE.
    I get AAA at A level.

Is it possible for me to get rejected by all the universities i've applied to? I'm fully capable of getting the grades I've stated above, but can I still get rejected even if I apply to the med schools with the lowest entry requirements?
    Yes easily.

Interview performance is vital and even more so AS UMS scores and BMAT scores for Oxbridge etc.

ReputationRep:

I get 8 A*s at GCSE.
    I get AAA at A level.

Ermm, you can get rejected if you get 12 A*s at GCSE and 10 A* at A Level and do voluntary work and all. It has got nothing to do with getting rejected. Now look at this example:

If you are applying for Maths at university and get 10A*s at A Level without studying Maths at A Level, which top university would take you???

So, in other words, you can still get rejected if you don't get the grades in the right subjects or if you just apply to the wrong universities that demand A*A*A* for example.

But if you do it properly, I'm sure the top universities are a possible place for you. Oxbridge however is a different level if you are thinking of those. For them, its not just grades, but a lot lot more than that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you could get rejected. Anyone can with any grades.
    But I wouldn't worry about it yet. Focus on getting good gcses, as grades and work experience to make sure you have a chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    The main problem with medicine is how completely different the criteria are for entry compared to the other, traditionally academic subjects.

You could have the best grades at your entire college, a 850 on the UKCAT and 8, 8, 5A on the BMAT, and still be rejected, because you might not have the ideal amount of work experience/ voluntary work for that medical school, or because you slipped up in the interview a little bit.

Compare that to say, Physics or Maths. You have the best grades at your college, an S on STEP I, II and III, and you managed to solve some relatively trivial questions at your Oxbridge interview, and they'll be knocking over chairs to accept you.

It's an inevitability (unless you're either super lucky or super amazing in every regard) that you will get SOME rejections. The important thing is that you get one. If you get one, you've already bucked the trend.

ReputationRep:
    Poor thing. You sound like a worrier. It sounds very very unlikely, but don't worry it's not the end of the world even if you do get rejections, there are other things you can do. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Clearly Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    /thread

(Original post by Tetanus)
    Clearly Yes.
    how do you have that little travelling :lolwut: in your sig? what's the code?

ReputationRep:

I get 8 A*s at GCSE.
    I get AAA at A level.

Yes; I know people with more A*s and more than reasonable UKCAT scores who received all rejections.

ReputationRep:

There is no such thing as a Medicine insurance.
    Apart from your fifth choice- biomed, clinical science...ect.ect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    There is no such thing as a Medicine insurance.
    Apart from your fifth choice- biomed, clinical science...ect.ect.
    There can be...

ReputationRep:
    Bmat

ReputationRep:
    can I still get rejected even if I apply to the med schools with the lowest entry requirements?
    Yes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.