Turn on thread page Beta

Not using your car for a few months... watch

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea about this sort of thing so sorry if these are silly questions

I will be on my year abroad soon, so won't be using my car much aside from holidays as it's staying in England. Will it be ok or do I need to do anything? It will be in a garage and someone from my family could drive it every so often...how often do you think? And does it matter how much petrol it has in it?

ReputationRep:
    for a few months should be fine as is, you either want someone to start it (and leave running for 10 min or so), or put the battery on an optimiser (glorified charger).

for longer periods, youll want to drain out the petrol/

Why don't you sell it? You won't be doing it any favours by having it sit in a garage.

ReputationRep:
    Because I still want to use it when I come back at Christmas/Easter...

(Original post by -honeybee-)
    Because I still want to use it when I come back at Christmas/Easter...
    Well, okay, but it seems like a hideous waste of insurance, tax, MOT, petrol, and space in the garage for something you're going to use for four weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Well, okay, but it seems like a hideous waste of insurance, tax, MOT, petrol, and space in the garage for something you're going to use for four weeks.
    I get what you're saying but I will only be away late September-early May and my car would be insured anyway due to the renewal date. I live in the country so not having a car = not going anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    You'll want to give it a run every couple of weeks to ensure the battery doesn't discharge too much, as that will shorten its lifespan. Other than that, there isn't much to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    yea best thing to do is sell it, or else you might have to tax it, do an mot, an insurance, too much expenses.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you stop using your **** for a few months?

ReputationRep:
    Ignore those people who say sell it, everyone said that to me at home (i'm at uni).. and now 5 months down the line im looking for another car. I wish i had just kept it to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    Why don't you stop using your **** for a few months?
    Sounds Familiar

Let someone borrow your car, use it for the length of time your away

ReputationRep:
    Hi if you get someone to use it every couple of days just for a journey, it'll stop the battery from draining :-) When we went on holiday to Australia for 5 weeks we didn't think of that (lol) and when we got home we had no way of getting anywhere because both cars were dead.. but if you just let it have a run every now and then it'll be okay

ReputationRep:
    Some diesels will run with no battery, so if you fire it up on a borrowed battery, take it out and put yours back in, it CAN work to recharge it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to the people giving helpful advice!

(Original post by becky.fm)
    Ignore those people who say sell it, everyone said that to me at home (i'm at uni).. and now 5 months down the line im looking for another car. I wish i had just kept it to be honest!
    Thank you! At least someone understands...I have no intention of selling it and I'm not bothered by the insurance costs etc, that wasn't my question! :rolleyes: Yeah it's nice having a car at uni, don't need to walk to the supermarket haha. I'm not even going to be away for that long and where I live (at home) having a car is kind of a necessity if you want to go anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    do what I did, if its possible, stay at home and drive to uni every day :-)

(Original post by fosters88)
    I see your thinking that a car loses value but there is more to it.

It depending the age of the car and how it depreciates in value, furthermore you need to considering Insurance profile and the possibility of gaining NCB which long term reduces car insurance premiums.

basically... "When it comes to finances, you need to think about long term not short term. It all depends on car age/value and driver profile in relation to NCB"

if the drop in car value has levelled off............................. ...........keep the car and keep it insured..... making sure you gain NCB will be better financially in the long run.
    if the car is still young and losing value rapidly ..........................sell the car.... but pruchase a £100-200 banger and continue your insurance policy on that, to make sure you obtain NCB
    Well actually I'm thinking cars are designed to move, not sit stationary for weeks and be taken around the block occasionally. Add on to that what I said in my next post, regarding MOT, tax, insurance, etc, when you're on a year abroad I expect there are better things to spend the money on. Yes you could use it to harvest no claims but IN MY OPINION I would sell it and use the money to enjoy myself when I'm away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    do what I did, if its possible, stay at home and drive to uni every day :-)
    I think it would be a pretty long drive to France and back

ReputationRep:
    Not if you lived in Dover and went to Callais :P

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.