Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if you can't find a job at university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I get the lowest maintenance loan, no grants and my parents won't help me financially. So I'll need to find a job; however what if I can't find one, or if I can't earn enough money? Is there anything I can do to remain in education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent-Varjoisa)
    I get the lowest maintenance loan, no grants and my parents won't help me financially. So I'll need to find a job; however what if I can't find one, or if I can't earn enough money? Is there anything I can do to remain in education?
    Try looking for jobs in the student union, at McDonalds, or places like these. If you still can't find any job after a lot of applications, I would say ask your bank for either a loan or if you have a student account you could use the overdraft facility to get some extra money. Also try asking your friends or family for a loan. I'm always able to borrow £100 or £200 off a friend or my parents, which I pay them back whenever I get paid again.

ReputationRep:
    Also alot of Universities do a 'student hardship' loan thing, for when your out of avenues they can help, worth researching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffingg)
    Try looking for jobs in the student union, at McDonalds, or places like these. If you still can't find any job after a lot of applications, I would say ask your bank for either a loan or if you have a student account you could use the overdraft facility to get some extra money. Also try asking your friends or family for a loan. I'm always able to borrow £100 or £200 off a friend or my parents, which I pay them back whenever I get paid again.
    Thanks for the advice, but I am going to Durham and have been told there's a shortage of jobs, and my parents refuse to help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Also alot of Universities do a 'student hardship' loan thing, for when your out of avenues they can help, worth researching.
    But would they consider me if my parents earn a lot?

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure, prbably, thats why I said you should try researching it, at your University choices.

Having said that surely your parents wont let you starve or anything if the worst comes to the worst?

Even £20 for some food a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Not entirely sure, prbably, thats why I said you should try researching it, at your University choices.

Having said that surely your parents wont let you starve or anything if the worst comes to the worst?

Even £20 for some food a week?
    I am from a very big family, and my parents insist I make my own way. I've had to work all my life.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, but I am going to Durham and have been told there's a shortage of jobs, and my parents refuse to help me.
    Durham colleges are catered I believe ? So at least you don't have to worry about money for food. The only other things you'll really need money for are books. What about getting a summer job before you go? You could try asking around farms for fruit-picking work or something similar. I have a friend who did that last summer and made a nice bit of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemissm)
    Durham colleges are catered I believe ? So at least you don't have to worry about money for food. The only other things you'll really need money for are books. What about getting a summer job before you go? You could try asking around farms for fruit-picking work or something similar. I have a friend who did that last summer and made a nice bit of money.
    That's my plan I just worry I can't make £5000 a year
    Durham said to budget for £8000 and my student loan is just over £3000.
    Plus Archaeology comes with extra costs.

ReputationRep:
    There's a couple offered by the accommodation halls that I've chosen at Manchester. They ask you to write why you need the money and then they choose the neediest student. They shouldn't take your household income into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    There's a couple offered by the accommodation halls that I've chosen at Manchester. They ask you to write why you need the money and then they choose the neediest student. They shouldn't take your household income into account.
    Ok thank you!

Thanks for the advice everyone my minds a lot more at rest.

ReputationRep:
    you said you have had to work all of your life so I assume you work now. if you work in a national chain try and see if there is any possibility of transferring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    you said you have had to work all of your life so I assume you work now. if you work in a national chain try and see if there is any possibility of transferring
    I work at a pet-shop sadly they don't have a chain of shops, but thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I worry about this to I guess you will justhave to hope ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    I worry about this to I guess you will justhave to hope ;/
    Oh, you're in the same boat. I am starting to think a lot of people are this government finance thing is a mess! They take no account of how big your family is or how much your family will give you.

ReputationRep:
    I worry about this too - I'm in a similar situation. But the official estimates from universities are often too high. Considering Durham has accommodation and food all in one, for about £4k a year, I really don't think you'll be spending an extra £4k on entertainment, clothing etc - and these are things you can cut back on anyway.

(This is another reason why I chose UCL and not Durham for my insurance - bigger cities mean it's easier to find jobs )

ReputationRep:
    They've probably included money for going out/other food/things you don't need too much. Obviously depends how much you want to go out though I guess.

Try googlinghttp://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...1e37f9e4f61d63 how much you actually need and then if you do get a job it will be a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    I shouldn't think you'll need more than £2000 on top of accommodation costs, especially if you're in catered.

Save up money from work now.
    Language schools if there's one near you may give summer employment.
    Does your uni have a student ambassador scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I worry about this too - I'm in a similar situation. But the official estimates from universities are often too high. Considering Durham has accommodation and food all in one, for about £4k a year, I really don't think you'll be spending an extra £4k on entertainment, clothing etc - and these are things you can cut back on anyway.

(This is another reason why I chose UCL and not Durham for my insurance - bigger cities mean it's easier to find jobs )
    Durham quotes £5505 + £339 college joining fee and that was only last year and doesn't include all your meals!

http://www.dur.ac.uk/st-aidans.colle...graduate/fees/

Also the fact I am from northern Ireland makes travel even harder and I have to pay extra for my Archeology course

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact same position. Had to defer a year to save.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.