Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is fair that top unis accept internation students over uk students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaSquirrel)
    I would like to know more about unis which give preference to weaker international students.
    Well I dont know, but these are probably the worse universities such as Westminister and London metropolitan where is a lot of EU students. And i'm guessing maybe you could try for lse, also royal holloway has apparently a strong international base and requirements range from AAA-BBB roughly this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anillatoo)
    Yea, the brightest UK students are white unlike dumb british asians like you!
    Haha nooo, your not very bright are in proportation to the white population theres a small percentage of these students who excel simply as a result of attitudes of parents and there more relaxed out look on life. Asians are a completely different in comparisons to there white counterpart they excel much more as a result of family and to improve life for themselves as they have a lot of motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    International students bring in a heck of a lot more money for the top institutions because they can charge pretty much whatever they like and the internationals will still come flocking at the gates.

The government now provides a pitiful amount of funding (around 3k per student now), except attach a whole bunch of strings to the money. So not only do international students bring in a lot of money, the universities also get to pick who they like from them without the Daily Mail coming along as saying too many of them come from Privileged backgrounds.

The fact is the universities would not be able to fund themselves without foreign students. Maybe places like Oxbridge would, they own loads of land, but newer institutions such as Warwick simply would not survive without foreign students.
    Us Home students should be thankful they are there to provide the funding our government refuses to.
    I realise this, but I think a combination of a quota on international students and a new government approach on higher education should do the trick as from an Economic viewpoint improvong education will lead to a short-term loss due to costs, but in the longterm it will bring a lot of tax revenue for the UK government and bring up social standards. Which will also more than enough pay for the cost of education at university for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Haha nooo, your not very bright are in proportation to the white population theres a small percentage of these students who excel simply as a result of attitudes of parents and there more relaxed out look on life. Asians are a completely different in comparisons to there white counterpart they excel much more as a result of family and to improve life for themselves as they have a lot of motivation.
    Yeah because all white people are born rich and have no motivation....

You know EU student in top institution compete fairly and I can tell you it's pretty hard. If you didn't get a place yourself in a top institution no need to be insulting. Looking down at other people won't make you look better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LysFromParis)
    Yeah because all white people are born rich and have no motivation....

You know EU student in top institution compete fairly and I can tell you it's pretty hard. If you didn't get a place yourself in a top institution no need to be insulting. Looking down at other people won't make you look better.
    I never even said that, so I htink you should get facts sorted out. If you look at the statistics British Asians do much better in comparison to there counterparts. Plus i never said they are all rich, another thing is have you actually been to places the midlands and up to the north of englandwhere people fall behind on education standards in comparison to the rest of the UK.

I know EU students compete fairly, and i said international students, EU students don't really count in this measure as they like domestic students.
    Another thing is i'm not being insulting nor am i looking down at anyone, where did you even get that from. Is it my fault that I want domestic students to gain more from there higher education institutions. ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess of Hearts)
    Im sorry but you are missing the point. Firstly, The UCL course that I was alluding to (economics and something cant quite remember; joint honours) only has 70 places in total- 8 for internationals, and 62 for Home applicants. Hence, no internationals are not, as this thread posits, stealing all our places. And as I clearly outlined in my previous post, there is not "a lot on offer" for international students at top unis.
    Secondly, I was merely using the gender bias argument as an example of a rejectee's paltry and pathetic attempt at blame-shifting, other than this "all the the foreigners stole my place!" one.
    Thirdly, your link with current affairs about how from next year there will be restrictions-you obviously dont realise that even nowadays all universities are subject to very strict limitations and fines regarding numbers of Home and international students, especially the latter.
    It will always be easier for a British student to get into UK universities (I admit, perhaps certain mathematical courses may be exceptions {I know its a stereotype}).
    If you need prove, take a look at the number of International students vs Home at Oxbridge.
    And finally, universities set out quotas which they have to meet regarding the fee statuses of their students. If we use the UCL course mentioned above as an exemplar, internationals compete for those 8 places, Home students compete for the rest. The places are not free for all- they are reserved for Home, and international respectively to keep in line with government outlines. So no, "the foreigners" are not nicking our places. The best they can do is raise the bar in terms of the calibre of the successful applicants, which, frankly, is a good thing.
    Oh and one last point, if someone can be bothered to research the numbers of British students studying at Ivy league unis, I think that might just about drive my point home.
    This thread is verging on racism. What would you like to do next, expel all the internationals out of uni/ the country/the universe so you can get your offer? That doesnt ring a bell (think Nazi).
    Which course at ucl is this?

ReputationRep:
    And ok iqbal.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think i'll change my viewpoint, I think there should be a limit of international students of about 10-20% which is sufficient...................... ... but honestly its the governments fault for cutting funding, when every other nation is putting money into education as their smart enough to realise the importance of an educated society we need to change this coalition government

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.