Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is fair that top unis accept internation students over uk students? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok I cant be bothered to read ur thorough debate but I know for a matter of fact this has happened to my friend who applied to study Economics in Oxford. the competition is very high and all that but he had 4 A* prediction and a very passionate etc personal statement there were only 3 places available, during the interview session he came across 4 german students 3 of which got the places. How is that even fair? Obviously there is a quota for british students and w.e but it isnt hard to work out that this does occur in most UK universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    If they allowed so many international students in, then top unis would prefer to take all the international students as the ones who apply are very bright and are able to pay high tuition fees. And many top uni's would go for them instead of domestic student and therefore unis with low rankings e.g. met wud only hav places.
    no because uni's have international quotas. they are only allowed to take in so many international students after they fill up with loads of domestic students.

a uni could never fill up entirely on international students. besides, you suggest that all international students are better than UK ones which isn't true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    no because uni's have international quotas. they are only allowed to take in so many international students after they fill up with loads of domestic students.

a uni could never fill up entirely on international students. besides, you suggest that all international students are better than UK ones which isn't true.
    Look at unistats and look at lse and then u'll see the ratio of overseas students.
    I realise that, but if they had the chance they would, if look at overseas students especially ones from asia, they work a lot harder, get much better grades, do more a levels and everything so r technically much better as they have motivation due parents and to get out of poverty. There was a guy who did 23 a levels in Pakistan

ReputationRep:
    International students bring in a heck of a lot more money for the top institutions because they can charge pretty much whatever they like and the internationals will still come flocking at the gates.

The government now provides a pitiful amount of funding (around 3k per student now), except attach a whole bunch of strings to the money. So not only do international students bring in a lot of money, the universities also get to pick who they like from them without the Daily Mail coming along as saying too many of them come from Privileged backgrounds.

The fact is the universities would not be able to fund themselves without foreign students. Maybe places like Oxbridge would, they own loads of land, but newer institutions such as Warwick simply would not survive without foreign students.
    Us Home students should be thankful they are there to provide the funding our government refuses to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    First off the bat, I didn't say IB was harder than A-Levels, and I won't ever say that either. It appeals to different people, that's about all one can really say.

Secondly, I apologise for insinuating you were a douche, that was uncalled for. Thirdly, obviously sometimes local students are given lower offers (read: Edinburgh.) In conclusion, unless we see some statistics, the best we can really do is go off our own experience, and in my own experience, I've seen people get offers for courses like Law at Bristol and KCL with AAB required, and the majority of people with those lower offers have been international students, to I assume, encourage them to accept the offer and boost the coffers of the university.

Not saying that local students don't get lower offers too mind you, I'd say often, that happens too, I'm simply attempting to dismiss the notion that EVERY International student has conquered the impossible to get to university, which is what someone else was purporting.

EDIT: I should add, I'm not against International students at all, and I obviously realise that it may be harder for them to gain entry onto some courses than Home students, I'm just being pedantic really.
    its alright. anyways on a totally unrelated note, i see your doing law, and 29 for LNAT is amazing! so congrats on that. but dyu happen to know when Kings are gonna send out replies to int'l students for law? (most of my friends still waiting on them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roukasrocker)
    Ok I cant be bothered to read ur thorough debate but I know for a matter of fact this has happened to my friend who applied to study Economics in Oxford. the competition is very high and all that but he had 4 A* prediction and a very passionate etc personal statement there were only 3 places available, during the interview session he came across 4 german students 3 of which got the places. How is that even fair? Obviously there is a quota for british students and w.e but it isnt hard to work out that this does occur in most UK universities.
    German students are a different matter entirely as, officially, they are not international students (being from the EU).

ReputationRep:
    Your giving overseas such a bad reputation by being so arrogrant. So what if you pay higher fees, what you guys gonna do when domestic student fees go up next year and much stronger restrictions are places, mainly only allowing postgrads in? Plus you guys aren't smarter than us, we are much smarter as you can see many pioneering innovation in the world are founded by UK students, plus u guys come from much more worse background and countries which makes you work harder, i'm for that. But you guys have uni's as well as we do, plus not all UK students are well-off either many of them come from poverty eventho its Britain.
    Yea, the brightest UK students are white unlike dumb british asians like you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wishwash)
    its alright. anyways on a totally unrelated note, i see your doing law, and 29 for LNAT is amazing! so congrats on that. but dyu happen to know when Kings are gonna send out replies to int'l students for law? (most of my friends still waiting on them)
    Thanks first of all, and secondly, no, I don't unfortunately :no:

Last year, KCL were delightfully late (relatively) so at a guess, I'd say quite soonish actually.

ReputationRep:
    Look at unistats and look at lse and then u'll see the ratio of overseas students.
    I realise that, but if they had the chance they would, if look at overseas students especially ones from asia, they work a lot harder, get much better grades, do more a levels and everything so r technically much better as they have motivation due parents and to get out of poverty. There was a guy who did 23 a levels in Pakistan
    LSE is an exception. The vast majority have far less overseas students. And saying 'if they could they would' is a bit pointless. First off we can't know that, and secondly even if they would, they can't.

Overseas students > UK students. Fact. That's why it is fair to allow some into our uni's. Drives up competition, increases standards and improves the economy both short and long term. It's BI-WINNING!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (I haven't read all nine pages, so forgive me if I've missed anything).

An anecdote for you all.

Set the scene - my first day as a postgraduate student doing an MSc Accounting & Financial Management. I'm proud to be here, I passed my undergrad and I'm good at what I do. I am the only white Brit there, and one of less than half a dozen native British speakers. Class of eighty students wait in expectation for the lecturer to speak.

Lecturer: *blather blather blather*
    So, who here has studied accounting before?

*Me and the other Brits put our hands up. A couple of the international students do.*

And from that day on, I've studied the same stuff I was studying at undergrad as the international students aren't subject to the same entry requirements as UK students (in this case a 2:2 or above in an accounting related subject.) A colossal waste of time and money for all concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    (I haven't read all nine pages, so forgive me if I've missed anything).

An anecdote for you all.

Set the scene - my first day as a postgraduate student doing an MSc Accounting & Financial Management. I'm proud to be here, I passed my undergrad and I'm good at what I do. I am the only white Brit there, and one of less than half a dozen native British speakers. Class of eighty students wait in expectation for the lecturer to speak.

Lecturer: *blather blather blather*
    So, who here has studied accounting before?

*Me and the other Brits put our hands up. A couple of the international students do.*

And from that day on, I've studied the same stuff I was studying at undergrad as the international students aren't subject to the same entry requirements as UK students (in this case a 2:2 or above in an accounting related subject.) A colossal waste of time and money for all concerned.
    2:2 requirement is pretty low for postgraduate and you applied to a course designed to people who may not have background in Accounting and Financial Management, what were you expecting ? Which university is it ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LysFromParis)
    2:2 requirement is pretty low for postgraduate and you applied to a course designed to people who may not have background in Accounting and Financial Management, what were you expecting ? Which university is it ?

If it's designed for people with no background in Acc & Fin Mgt, why do the requirements for UK students stipulate your undergraduate degree must be relevant?

ReputationRep:
    If it's designed for people with no background in Acc & Fin Mgt, why do the requirements for UK students stipulate your undergraduate degree must be relevant?
    From yourself :
    in this case a 2:2 or above in an accounting related subject
    So not with accounting background, but related subject so I suppose it could be management, economy, business, entrepreneurship etc... You did not tell which uni and the requirement were already pretty low even for home students.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    From yourself :

So not with accounting background, but related subject so I suppose it could be management, economy, business, entrepreneurship etc... You did not tell which uni and the requirement were already pretty low even for home students.
    I quote from the website...

You should normally have a degree with at least lower second class honours in accounting and finance, or a related subject, with sufficient background of accounting and finance . Equivalent qualifications would be considered.

ReputationRep:
    I quote from the website...
    And ? You went to a uni with low requirement (the title is top unis, the one you are in is obviously not concern) and sufficient background in finance is up to the uni to decide what is sufficient, so as they offer postgraduate courses for 2:2 honours degree what is sufficient may not be that high. But if you told us which uni it is, we may be able to understand why they give place to international student who seems to not fit in, maybe they cannot attract them otherwise.

My google skill tell me that is the master you're talking about :
    http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/postgrad/....aspx?itemID=5

It's hardly a "top" uni, whatever top could mean.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    And ? You went to a uni with low requirement (the title is top unis, the one you are in is obviously not concern) and sufficient background in finance is up to the uni to decide what is sufficient, so as they offer postgraduate courses for 2:2 honours degree what is sufficient may not be that high. But if you told us which uni it is, we may be able to understand why they give place to international student who seems to not fit in, maybe they cannot attract them otherwise.

My google skill tell me that is the master you're talking about :
    http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/postgrad/....aspx?itemID=5

It's hardly a "top" uni, whatever top could mean.

I'm a senior course representative for postgraduate EFA students. This means I have the right to attend Board of Study and Dean's Meetings. In these meetings I have consistently brought up this subject and the Dean agrees with me.

Our international recruitment team is over-successful, I would say, and they are not affiliated with any one course or faculty and thus the right hand knoweth not what the left hand doeth.

All I'm saying is that a) It isn't only top universities that have a significant number of internationals that may not belong on the course and b) It could just me miscommunication within the university.

As for your 'google skills' - congratulations?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a senior course representative for postgraduate EFA students. This means I have the right to attend Board of Study and Dean's Meetings. In these meetings I have consistently brought up this subject and the Dean agrees with me.

Our international recruitment team is over-successful, I would say, and they are not affiliated with any one course or faculty and thus the right hand knoweth not what the left hand doeth.

All I'm saying is that a) It isn't only top universities that have a significant number of internationals that may not belong on the course and b) It could just me miscommunication within the university.

As for your 'google skills' - congratulations?
    No need to be arrogant, you were the one refusing to name the university you were talking about (which partly explain what you are talking about).

You're putting all international student in the same bag by looking at a low ranked uni with low entry requirement even for home student. As an international student (being from the EU) it's a bit annoying always reading that we have lower standard and less merit than British student. International student at top uni like Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, Oxford etc... are of the same calibre as the home students, international students in lower uni are of the same calibre as their peers. I would like to see in top uni international student not up to the standard out of potentially struggling with English.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know more about unis which give preference to weaker international students.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No need to be arrogant, you were the one refusing to name the university you were talking about (which partly explain what you are talking about).

You're putting all international student in the same bag by looking at a low ranked uni with low entry requirement even for home student. As an international student (being from the EU) it's a bit annoying always reading that we have lower standard and less merit than British student. International student at top uni like Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, Oxford etc... are of the same calibre as the home students, international students in lower uni are of the same calibre as their peers. I would like to see in top uni international student not up to the standard out of potentially struggling with English.

I didn't refuse to answer the question. I'm proud of the university I attend. I love it here.

I'm not putting them all in the same bag. It was a small anecdote regarding my experience, it wasn't me arguing that my uni is completely representative and this and that and the other. I feel that there are too many international students in the UK and this was a simple demonstration of why.

I am sure there are international students of the same calibre, but when I see a class FULL of int'l students and hear of similar experiences across many different universities, I start to question whether the Gov't are allowing too many students here.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't refuse to answer the question. I'm proud of the university I attend. I love it here.

I'm not putting them all in the same bag. It was a small anecdote regarding my experience, it wasn't me arguing that my uni is completely representative and this and that and the other. I feel that there are too many international students in the UK and this was a simple demonstration of why.

I am sure there are international students of the same calibre, but when I see a class FULL of int'l students and hear of similar experiences across many different universities, I start to question whether the Gov't are allowing too many students here.
    Thank you for agreeing with me, I think having international students isn't too bad when such a large percentage of international students get into top universities especially at lse, ucl and imperial it gets really unfair. And I do agree , the government seem to be more concerned with short term political goals rather than long term economic prosperity.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.