Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay, so I am in the process of deleting my facebook, because I believe it's more of a burden than an advantage to me. I didn't manage to get things done as I was constantly on it and feel I'm slowly progressing in doing tasks.

The thing is, I'm feeling...isolated? I don't know how to describe it, but I feel as though I'm missing out on something when I know I'll probably become bored if activated again.

I'm scared in case I become the nervous person I used to be, anxious in social situations and laughing a lot etc. I feel myself forming back to that person and really don't want to go back to feeling anxious around people and wanting to withdraw myself further from people.

I want to have the productivity in my life and confidence without having to rely on facebook for that social boost. But I feel myself being sucked back into it for the social reasons.

Quite a petty post I guess, but do you think I should activate my account again just for the social aspect, or find other ways to maybe boost my confidence and feel like I'm not just wasting my time on the internet?

ReputationRep:
    You cannot delete your Facebook account I believe...

ReputationRep:
    You can only deactivate it. Sorry. Life's a *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    You have two options, you can deactivate it, mean you're taken offline but all your info/photos etc remain saved by fb so you can return if you wish. Or you can delete everything (via request to fb). Most people go for the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    It's not easy to find out how from facebook themselves, but if you google "how to delete facebook account" there's a group with a link to the permanent deletion option :yep:

OP: Before facebook people still managed to have social lives you know :p: Presumably you have your friends' numbers and can phone or text them, right? If you feel it's really holding you back socially then you could reactivate but just have more self discipline to not waste all your time on it.

It felt great when I deleted my facebook, it got all those boring people I never actually talked to completely out of my life. But then I am quite anti-social and see friends about once a month

ReputationRep:
    Errr... you can delete your facebook

http://www.facebook.com/help/contact...delete_account

I know you can delete facebook account as I'm waiting for the 14 days to finish, but it's more a focus on the social aspect and productivity I am focusing on. I can't even seem to have self discipline to stay off of these social networks (been on msn since 2004 and been a frequent user). Maybe that's why I'm not so good in social situations? I seem to have all the signs of social anxienty, but have calmed down a lot the last year or so, not caring how people perceive me.

It's getting me down and I think deleting things such as that can give me a social boost and maybe put in more effort to see my friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so I am in the process of deleting my facebook, because I believe it's more of a burden than an advantage to me. I didn't manage to get things done as I was constantly on it and feel I'm slowly progressing in doing tasks.

The thing is, I'm feeling...isolated? I don't know how to describe it, but I feel as though I'm missing out on something when I know I'll probably become bored if activated again.

I'm scared in case I become the nervous person I used to be, anxious in social situations and laughing a lot etc. I feel myself forming back to that person and really don't want to go back to feeling anxious around people and wanting to withdraw myself further from people.

I want to have the productivity in my life and confidence without having to rely on facebook for that social boost. But I feel myself being sucked back into it for the social reasons.

Quite a petty post I guess, but do you think I should activate my account again just for the social aspect, or find other ways to maybe boost my confidence and feel like I'm not just wasting my time on the internet?
    It's annoying I'm in a similar situation. I laugh alot too! I found no solution yet. I just don't go out. Facebook really helps you be informed without actually talking to people. It's not really helping you socailly it's like crutches, you need to stop using it and develop ways to integrate. It may have alot of trial and error involved. But what you end up with will be more gratifying than fb

Best Wishes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.