Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How competitive are these courses?
    Very often people refer to the GDLs as being production line type courses, run by universities that will more or less take anyone on. However, fewer institutions seem to offer this course, and most seem to be a little more 'prestigous' as it were.
    I'm assuming that the pool of applicants for the LLB (2 year, SS) would be different from the GDL courses. Are the admissions criteria generally quite stringent? I am aware that most places ask for a 2:1 in the first degree, but I do hope that you get credit for getting your first degree from a patently better university than someone who is applying from a much poorer university and trying to 'compensate' for this by doing the 2 year LLB.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the course. The Oxford course has a *very* limited number of places, and is very competitive. The standard for Cambridge is pretty high, though they don't require a first in your first degree. Among my cohort, the people at my college have degrees from Edinburgh, Cardiff, UEA, Royal Holloway, Sydney, and KCL. There's also two people with masters--one from UCL, one from LSE. If you don't have a 2:i, you don't stand a chance at most of the two year programmes--a possible exception being Hull. The offers for Cambridge were *mostly* conditional on a 2:i, though there are exceptions to this. Obviously here and at Oxford the interview is central, and probably more important than anything else. You do have to be invited to interview, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    It really depends on the course. The Oxford course has a *very* limited number of places, and is very competitive. The standard for Cambridge is pretty high, though they don't require a first in your first degree. Among my cohort, the people at my college have degrees from Edinburgh, Cardiff, UEA, Royal Holloway, Sydney, and KCL. There's also two people with masters--one from UCL, one from LSE. If you don't have a 2:i, you don't stand a chance at most of the two year programmes--a possible exception being Hull. The offers for Cambridge were *mostly* conditional on a 2:i, though there are exceptions to this. Obviously here and at Oxford the interview is central, and probably more important than anything else. You do have to be invited to interview, of course.
    Cheers for this. I'm doing my undergraduate degree at Oxford, and would like to target the SS LLB at Cardiff. I just wondered what the calibre of student might be. The official website also doesn't give an indication of how many applications they receive or how many places are available.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.