Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to become a sports journalist. Can I become one? How do I go about becoming on Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am studying Finance at the moment but I have always wanted to become a sports journalist. I will graduate in April and want to do my Masters in Journalism maybe.
    I love sport. I have an extensive knowledge of cricket, tennis, football, formula one and golf. I like to write and write fairly well. Do I need to go to journalism school? I have been writing for a sports website for the past one month and really enjoy it, covering tennis matches for them.

ReputationRep:
    Well my friends are studying Sports Journalism at uni so there are some courses that do that. So if you didn't want to do just journalism then sports journalism would be better One of my friends is also writing for a website so have a look into which universities do that course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade =))
    Well my friends are studying Sports Journalism at uni so there are some courses that do that. So if you didn't want to do just journalism then sports journalism would be better One of my friends is also writing for a website so have a look into which universities do that course
    Are the career prospects good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhatthewuck)
    I am studying Finance at the moment but I have always wanted to become a sports journalist. I will graduate in April and want to do my Masters in Journalism maybe.
    I love sport. I have an extensive knowledge of cricket, tennis, football, formula one and golf. I like to write and write fairly well. Do I need to go to journalism school? I have been writing for a sports website for the past one month and really enjoy it, covering tennis matches for them.
    Maybe better to do a masters in jounralism but.

ReputationRep:
    Do a degree in English. Then do your NUJ affiliated courses and then work for free at newspapers for ages until someone offers to pay you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    Do a degree in English. Then do your NUJ affiliated courses and then work for free at newspapers for ages until someone offers to pay you.
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    sports journalism pays **** all, I did it for a while and it was the most boring thing I've ever done. Seek something better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    sports journalism pays **** all, I did it for a while and it was the most boring thing I've ever done. Seek something better.
    Really? Why did you find it boring? Can I PM you?

ReputationRep:
    Are the career prospects good?
    I don't really know because it's not something they've mentioned but I know that they all really enjoy it (when it's not a 9am lecture that is!)

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to do that? I understand that you might enjoy doing journalism more, but you have to be realistic. How many jobs are there in journalism compared to finance? Not many. You are closing alot of doors, by going down this route and no offence to you, but one month of experience will count for F all.

You will need to work for free to start with btw, that's just how the industry works unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    Why would you want to do that? I understand that you might enjoy doing journalism more, but you have to be realistic. How many jobs are there in journalism compared to finance? Not many. You are closing alot of doors, by going down this route and no offence to you, but one month of experience will count for F all.

You will need to work for free to start with btw, that's just how the industry works unfortunately.
    Well, the editor for the website I'm writing for atm said that I have the potential to be a journalist, plus my internship period ends soon and he's going to start paying me from next month, so umm i'm already getting paid from next month.
    Plus, I am aware that I would earn much more in Finance than Journalism. But Finance is not something I enjoy at all and would derive much much more job satisfaction from journalism, especially sports journalism.
    Also, I will graduate this year with a Finance degree. So if I do a masters in journalism, give journalism a shot, even if it doesn't work out, I still have my Finance to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    You will need to work for free to start with btw, that's just how the industry works unfortunately.[/QUOTE

What a load of rubbish.

Also, it's pointless doing an English degree and then spending thousands more on journalism exams. I'm doing a sport journalism course at Brighton Uni where you not only graduate with a degree, but also receive professional accreditation from the NCTJ.

Plus the standard of teaching is outstanding. You'll be taught by journalists and academics with years of experience and hundreds of contacts.

It's by far the best/easiest route into journalism.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.