Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: Would you consider someone who plays computer games immature? watch

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. It's true that I wouldn't appreciate it if he wouldn't do or talk about anything else, but that's not specific to gaming; I always tend to fall for guys with wide interests. Like a few other people have said I would infinitely prefer a guy who spends his spare time gaming over a guy who thinks he has to get drunk ever single night in order to be cool...

So no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with gaming, unless you're obsessed (but only because obsessions are never a good thing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    You're truly unique.
    I did play games frequently at times, though that stopped altogether when I was around thirteen or so. I see videogaming as an escape, and since I have found things more entertaining and/or gratifying since that time, I have no reason to invest an absurd amount of money and piss away time for something which promises so little.

ReputationRep:
    If its a normal-ish hobby, then its fine. I play COD, L4D2 and Deus Ex atm so I'd have no room to judge - however, if you struggle to find things other than games to talk about, I might think its a bit sad/childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I don't game anymore but i feel it is unfairly critisised.

As soon as someone says they play WoW for example the 'basement nerd' stereotype gets brought up, but from my experience those players are in the minority. I managed to balance playing the game with a healthy social life, and most of my guild were the same. Several were students like me but most of them were people in their 20s/30s with successful careers, marriages..hell even a few had families. Our guildmaster was 50 years old! They were people with normal lives who chose to play games in their spare time, and they have every right to. Gaming isn't the domain of bored teenage boys anymore.

If someone comes home and wants to relax, by playing games they will often be playing with their friends, raiding etc, things which involve communication and teamwork - when i played WoW i was interacting with players from all over Europe. This is far more sociable than someone choosing to sit on their arse watching the TV, probably on their own. Yet TV is more 'socially acceptable', why?

There is nothing wrong with people gaming in their spare time. If someone is playing excessively to the point where it takes over their 'real life', all they can talk about is gaming etc then that is when it gets immature.. just like someone who can only talk about football or how pissed they were on Friday night.

TLDR: Gaming is fine in moderation.

I play Wow! And I'm about as far from a nerd as you can get, I'm a girly girl (to some extent) and people are always shocked when I say I play. However I agree that there is the steryotype, but no one in my guild (bar one) is like that.

It is all down to playing games in moderation.

Also, Fable! I forgot to mention before that this is awesome too!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how it's "immature". What's important to one person is different to another, so you can't label someone as "immature" for wanting to have time to play and discuss about things that they find enjoyable. They might find you "immature" for getting bothered enough over it to make a thread about it. Seems a bit judgemental to me.

ReputationRep:
    Going out and getting pissed all the time and mulling in front of the terrible tv broadcast these days is immature. Video games are this generations meduim of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    Games are not immature.

Playing them all the time and talking about them is just sad.
    This. I think it's okay to play video/computer games occasionally. But not all the time. I have known guys who are very addicted to computer games... It's annoying and I would never even think about dating them because I know that they would be playing all the time! Has happened before to some girls. Like after sex their bf has left without saying anything and started playing some stupid computer game!

ReputationRep:
    You can use computer games in the same context as Xbox 360/PS3 games, I wouldn't consider it immature if guys play a lot of COD for instance but I think that they obviously have too much time on their hands & need to get out more.

Playing on it for like an hr a day I wouldn't have a problem with, it's if that hr turns into a couple of hrs & this becomes a regular everyday thing.
    Plus it's one thing playing it all the time, & another talking about it all the time!

If I had a bf that regularly played on his Xbox 360/PS3, I would be annoyed if he didn't let me join in & play against him, but if he did then I wouldn't really have a problem with it, it just means that we can do things together that way!
    I could talk for hrs with my friends about our favourite TV shows, going through every little detail, so I suppose that's almost the same as guys obsessing about their Xbox 360/PS3 games - we all have something that we enjoy doing be it playing on games or watching TV shows .

ReputationRep:
    How is playing computer games immature in any way, shape, nor form? If it is then watching TV or posting on internet forums is aswell. All of them are just leisure activities that people do to pass the time and get some entertainment. At least unlike watching TV playing computer games engages your mind somewhat.

Computer games have come a long way from the mid 1990s when it was all furry animals jumping across gaudily coloured platforms.

ReputationRep:
    What would you think of someone posting epic montages hmmmmmmm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RI1Oe1C-6A

ReputationRep:
    Man I'm 24 and I just bought myself a GBA SP.
    It came with pokemon Red, Silver and Gold Originals! (No box manual etc though, just carts)

I had a Gameboy Colour when I was about 12, but it got stolen. I've never had another one since, so getting the SP was like completing a bit of my past.
    Now I'm playing all the games I missed out on because of some Low life thief!

It's great I'm Loving it!

I think my fav game right now is Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land it smashes Super Mario by far!http://bestgameboygames.co.cc/?page_id=29

I posted a link to it for those of you who ain't played it yet. It's got a video and some screens etc...

Check it out

(PS, Type in pokemon when making a post, the when it underline's in red right click and see the suggested alternatives... The top one's "Poker-Face"! LOL!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.