The Student Room Group

Safe 5th choice?

I know some universities will give almost a guaranteed offer to medical applicants applying to them as their 5th choice for biomed, biochem etc.

However if one were to get 4 rejections and choose the graduate degree route you would still want to go to a good university rather than one that will just accept you.

So I was wondering which is the best university for biomed that there is a high chance of getting accepted by with a medical ps, as im aware some of the very best universities have enough outstanding applicants who acutally want to go there as opposed to people who choose it as a fifth choice?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I was rejected by Imperial for Biochem as a 5th choice, but I know others who have been accepted. One reapplicant wrote to them and asked them if he was allowed to submit a biochemistry-specific personal statement, which they accepted, and he got an offer. So a mixed bag of outcomes really so it's difficult to predict - somebody on TSR even got an offer from Oxford to study Biochem as a 5th choice!
I had an offer from Southampton for Biomedical Sciences having applied there for Medicine as well.

Worth saying that the "graduate degree route" has its own hazards and is very difficult to get into - you may be better off reapplying for medicine the following year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending