Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I am doing a Btec Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport. This is the equivalent to 1 A Level.

I know Btec's are meant to be easy but this is so f**ing hard!!

I am also doing a Btec Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma but in business studies and that is so simple.

I wanted to know if anyone else is finding P.E Btec really hard. I think it is just my teacher being such a harsh marker, but I wanted to check with others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    Well I am doing a Btec Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport. This is the equivalent to 1 A Level.

I know Btec's are meant to be easy but this is so f**ing hard!!

I am also doing a Btec Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma but in business studies and that is so simple.

I wanted to know if anyone else is finding P.E Btec really hard. I think it is just my teacher being such a harsh marker, but I wanted to check with others.
    I did performing arts- it was the bane of my life.
    However, you're going to have to do what your teacher tells you- because despite the coursework being moderated...what they say goes gradewise.

Remember, you only need two Distinctions out of six portfolios to get a D overall. So if they're a **** and give you a few Ms, it doesn't matter.

Why, just why? Try doing Physics A-Level. Then we speak?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    Remember, you only need two Distinctions out of six portfolios to get a D overall. So if they're a **** and give you a few Ms, it doesn't matter.
    I thought every unit counts towards your overall marks. Am I wrong here?

From what you are saying it sounds as if I can just fail in the units I am struggling in and it does not matter as long as there are 6 other units I find easier I do really well in.

ReputationRep:
    I thought every unit counts towards your overall marks. Am I wrong here?

From what you are saying it sounds as if I can just fail in the units I am struggling in and it does not matter as long as there are 6 other units I find easier I do really well in.
    There are six units if you're doing the one a-level equivalent. If you're doing more, it is worth three. From what you've told me, as you're doing more than 6 units- you're doing something worth 2+ a-levels.

one a-level (btec award) - 6 units
    two a-levels (btec certificate)- 12 units
    three a-levels (btec diploma)- 18 units

Either way, you can't fail anything. If you want a Distinction your lowest grade has to be a Merit.

ReputationRep:
    There are six units if you're doing the one a-level equivalent. If you're doing more, it is worth three. From what you've told me, as you're doing more than 6 units- you're doing something worth 2+ a-levels.

one a-level (btec award) - 6 units
    two a-levels (btec certificate)- 12 units
    three a-levels (btec diploma)- 18 units

Either way, you can't fail anything. If you want a Distinction your lowest grade has to be a Merit.
    Ok, its STARTING to make a bit more sense although it is a really complicated course. I am doing the one which is equivalent to 1 A level. I think at my College we do 8 units though, but 2 don't count. It gives us the option to submit the best 6 units and just ignore the other 2 if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, its STARTING to make a bit more sense although it is a really complicated course. I am doing the one which is equivalent to 1 A level. I think at my College we do 8 units though, but 2 don't count. It gives us the option to submit the best 6 units and just ignore the other 2 if that makes sense.
    It's not complicated.

Okay- 6 units are submitted. You may do 8 at your school, but the best 6 will be submitted.

If you want to get a Distinction- you need to get 2 Distinctions and 4 Merits
    If you want to get a Merit- you need to get 2 Merits and 4 Passes

You need to be aiming for one of those, a Distinction is an A (worth 120 UCAS points) and Merit is C (worth 80 UCAS points).......you do NOT want to end up with a Pass. A Pass is an E grade (only worth 40 UCAS points) Make sure that you're clear on this, there was a lot of confusion at our school last year where people thought Distinction-Merit-Pass went like A-B-C....people weren't terribly happy when they were missing university places.

ReputationRep:
    It's not complicated.

Okay- 6 units are submitted. You may do 8 at your school, but the best 6 will be submitted.

If you want to get a Distinction- you need to get 2 Distinctions and 4 Merits
    If you want to get a Merit- you need to get 2 Merits and 4 Passes

You need to be aiming for one of those, a Distinction is an A (worth 120 UCAS points) and Merit is C (worth 80 UCAS points).......you do NOT want to end up with a Pass. A Pass is an E grade (only worth 40 UCAS points) Make sure that you're clear on this, there was a lot of confusion at our school last year where people thought Distinction-Merit-Pass went like A-B-C....people weren't terribly happy when they were missing university places.
    Okay. Well I want to get a distinction and it is possible. I am on the border line between a merit and distinction. From what you have explained, there is a BIG gap between a merit (a C) and distinction (an A). I definately want to do better than a merit as a C is not brilliant so I guess I am aiming for a distinction (an A).

If only there was a B grade though. It would be much easier!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.