Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I took my AS ICT exam in January and got an E. I want to get a C. So I am going to retake the exam in June.

Personally, I thought I knew the content quite well but I am just not sure why I got such a low mark.

Has anyone else done AS ICT and got a high grade? Could you just generally help me and give me tips on how to do well in this exam?

ReputationRep:
    anyone??????

ReputationRep:
    HA! I had this same problem before. In fact, near enough exactly.

Problem was I knew what I was talking about, but when it came to putting Pen to paper, it was hard to explain my answer. Therefore, look at your exam technique. Do papers and get your ICT teacher to look at the style of how you write.

Also, a crap load of definitions are in ICT, so look at all of the past papers and just remember the structure of the answers and how the definition of terms are described. Look for at least 4 years of past papers, you'll start to see a pattern of questions appear as well

TL;DR : Memorise past papers, review exam technique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    I took my AS ICT exam in January and got an E. I want to get a C. So I am going to retake the exam in June.

Personally, I thought I knew the content quite well but I am just not sure why I got such a low mark.

Has anyone else done AS ICT and got a high grade? Could you just generally help me and give me tips on how to do well in this exam?
    Perhaps you just had a bad day? I took the exam in Jan as well It was a wierd exam, quite a few people in my school failed

I recommend working on your essay technique, a lot of marks can be gained at this part
    Revise key terms
    Do past papers, mark and look at where you dropped marks, these are your weak topics, revise them weak topics
    I found reading the mark schemes helped, familarise yourself with how to answer each question, how many points to make, do these points require an explanation etc.

Btw, I got an A in my Jan exam (92% )

EDIT: I am talking about the AQA IT exam, not sure what exam board you are on though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)

hi i took the AS last year and it as the first time we had a level ict in college i got a C in info1 and an A in info2

our teacher for info1 was shocking she had no clue! the main problem was the sample work.

all i can say is go over the sample work again and make sure it meets the criteria. i resat info1 this jan and thought i did terrible again even after re doing the sample work and got an A was so happy.

my teacher this year gave me a great handout from a zigzag education. id say id post it to you but that would probably be a bit wierd. so i shall say sit with your teacher and discuss it. also work on the longer mark questions towards the end remember quality not quantity!
    also remember to expand answers on 2 mark questions they always want an answer then an explanation as i learnt the hard way.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I would advise you get loads of past papers and make modal answers.
    Then revise these modal answers a lot and just keep doing loads of exam questions.
    You should be fine if you do this..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.