Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you guys Facebook stalk the girls you like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have stalked girls who I've just met and had a bit of chemistry with, and am wondering whether to go out with them or not, thats a bit of facebook research really. In one case, I actually went off a girl who I had liked in person, because she seemed to post too many statuses on facebook, and had made 'notes' of all of those "answer 20 questions about yourself". I decided from that that she wasn't cool enough for me.

However if it's somebody I'm interested in, that isn't interested in me back, I will keep her on facebook but I block her statuses/photo updates etc from coming up on my news feed.

You just see things that make you feel jealous, even if it's fairly innocuous, eg seeing the girl in photos with a good looking guy, or seeing some new guy she has befriended starting posting on her wall with winks at the end of the message etc, and wondering if something is going on between them.

Then if she does go from being single to 'in a relationship' but doesn't say who with, you wonder is it for real, is it a joke, who is it with? Then her female friends all 'like' the status and write stuff like "oooh am I missin somethin? do tell xxx". You just think DIE DIE DIE.

The problem with facebook stalking is people think that its fun and think they are enjoying the power of being able to surreptitiously snoop on the object of their desire's profile, in reality you aren't seeing anything that they haven't allowed to be publicly viewable anyway, and if its stalking based on fancying someone who you're never going to go out with, then its just torturing yourself. It makes the process of getting over somebody a lot longer and more drawn out if you are stalking them, and you risk falling into relapse if you've got over them, and then 6 months later, their status goes to in a relationship and it makes you feel bad again.

I used to FB stalk my ex, who I still had a bit of a thing for for ages. Now I don't so much anymore, just because it's boring now and I'm over him now. Well, about 98% over him :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darknessbehold)
    The day facebook implements a stalker alert is the day facebook dies.
    +1

That's the whole reason why people go on Facebook. To stalk and to see what everyone else is getting up to. Spy on people's statuses and photos. The people who dislike being stalked shouldn't be on Facebook imo.

ReputationRep:
    I facebook stalk everyone :ninja:

Lol not really, I wouldn't say 'stalk'... I go on his page a bit more often than I do other people, but I don't check it several times a day or anything.

I go on facebook, look at the news feed, do whatever it is I have to do (I don't just go on aimlessly, I'd only go on to speak to someone/whatever)... I only go on people's pages when I'm procrastinating XD

ReputationRep:
    I don't stalk .. I inquire

(Original post by qasman)
    Nope, not even when i liked a girl.
    Would you not want to find out more about her? Although I suppose a profile only tells you so much and it depends how well you already know her...

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I have stalked girls who I've just met and had a bit of chemistry with, and am wondering whether to go out with them or not, thats a bit of facebook research really. In one case, I actually went off a girl who I had liked in person, because she seemed to post too many statuses on facebook, and had made 'notes' of all of those "answer 20 questions about yourself". I decided from that that she wasn't cool enough for me.

However if it's somebody I'm interested in, that isn't interested in me back, I will keep her on facebook but I block her statuses/photo updates etc from coming up on my news feed.

You just see things that make you feel jealous, even if it's fairly innocuous, eg seeing the girl in photos with a good looking guy, or seeing some new guy she has befriended starting posting on her wall with winks at the end of the message etc, and wondering if something is going on between them.

Then if she does go from being single to 'in a relationship' but doesn't say who with, you wonder is it for real, is it a joke, who is it with? Then her female friends all 'like' the status and write stuff like "oooh am I missin somethin? do tell xxx". You just think DIE DIE DIE.

The problem with facebook stalking is people think that its fun and think they are enjoying the power of being able to surreptitiously snoop on the object of their desire's profile, in reality you aren't seeing anything that they haven't allowed to be publicly viewable anyway, and if its stalking based on fancying someone who you're never going to go out with, then its just torturing yourself. It makes the process of getting over somebody a lot longer and more drawn out if you are stalking them, and you risk falling into relapse if you've got over them, and then 6 months later, their status goes to in a relationship and it makes you feel bad again.
    :p: Understandable.

Yep, have felt that. I don't know if there's a chance to go out with this person or not. There could be...I did feel bad when my ex updated his status to being in a new relationship and torturted myself for a bit finding out more. Not anymore, though, not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that anybody could ever see who'd been viewing their profile scares me. I'm a bad Facebook stalker. Multiple times a day. I never even find out anything interesting, I don't know why I do it. Boredom possibly!

ReputationRep:
    Standard.

ReputationRep:
    There's actually a handful of people I regularly check up on. The rest - never. So unnecessary to have all of those friends, 99% I really never check in on.

I used to check up on the guy I liked, but then he deactivated, so now I follow another guy. And obviously friends of the first guy that have an open wall, in case it can bring me news about him :ninja: And it sometimes does! :gah: Neither of them live nearby (so I don't see them often), so it's probably just a way of bringing excitement into my life.

ReputationRep:
    Haha guilty Nearly died when I was invited to add the 'who's been looking at your profile' app. Hopefully no one I know will be that curious

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure guys generally don't do that... but if you're a bit lovestruck, yeah go on their profile maybe once or twice a week (normal amount you check your friends profiles anyway) and look at pictures or w/e - I guess that's fairly normal

like it's just boring staring at a profile anyway... even if it's someone you like, it's not a real person, just some constructed image of them. People that like comment on every status or picture or write on peoples walls all the time = Facebook stalking in my opinion and that is sad

ReputationRep:
    I stalk that **** like every other day. What makes it more interesting is that she has about 1.9K photos so I always feel like a kid in a candy store

I then feel very paranoid after:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I know people's life story without having even spoken to them once in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    i cannot stalk the focus of my affections on facebook because he does not possess a facebook account :/

sad times.
    Same. I would if I could though

ReputationRep:
    Not stalk, however I have added girls I like/liked at uni and work to see if they are single or not. Sure I could go up to them and chat to them, and then ask, "are you single?", but I'd feel a right dingbat if they said "No I have a boyfriend", as well, it would make things awkward. At least by adding them I can see if they're are single, and if they are, I'll ask them out, if they aren't I'll stay clear...

Though like MagicNMedicine said above, I have gone off a girl in the past because of what she posted on facebook. The kind of person she presented herself as at work was totally different to the type of person she was outside of work. I mean, she was all innocent, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth type at work; yet outside of work, off her FB statuses and attitude, clearly not that way at all... Still a nice girl, but not the kind I would want to date.

So facebook does have its uses in the sense of finding out whether a girl is single or not, and then to see if they are really a nice person or someone to stay clear of in a dating sense. I wouldn't say I have ever stalked a person on it, just simply used it to find out whether they are single, and to see whether my judgement that they are a nice person who I would date is correct.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Define 'stalk'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeW975)
    Not stalk, however I have added girls I like/liked at uni and work to see if they are single or not. Sure I could go up to them and chat to them, and then ask, "are you single?", but I'd feel a right dingbat if they said "No I have a boyfriend", as well, it would make things awkward. At least by adding them I can see if they're are single, and if they are, I'll ask them out, if they aren't I'll stay clear...

Though like MagicNMedicine said above, I have gone off a girl in the past because of what she posted on facebook. The kind of person she presented herself as at work was totally different to the type of person she was outside of work. I mean, she was all innocent, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth type at work; yet outside of work, off her FB statuses and attitude, clearly not that way at all... Still a nice girl, but not the kind I would want to date.

So facebook does have its uses in the sense of finding out whether a girl is single or not, and then to see if they are really a nice person or someone to stay clear of in a dating sense. I wouldn't say I have ever stalked a person on it, just simply used it to find out whether they are single, and to see whether my judgement that they are a nice person who I would date is correct.
    This is interesting. I have to say a guy's facebook profile may influence how I see him. However, if I already like him, unattractive tagged photos will not change that! But I dislike drunken status updates If a guy is giving many girls mixed signals, facebook is one way to reveal it, if he has plenty of girls writing on his wall and commenting in an obvious way. I've been interested in a guy before and have seen on his profile that there is a huge amount of very young girls posting. He was 26, and many girls around 18 (very young 18-year-olds, judging from their photos posing in mirrors) were posting, sometimes as obvious as "sorry for leaving so early this morning". It was clear that he took what he could get (many were not attractive), he deleted posts that were too obvious, and he often went for very young girls, as they can be more naive. Definitely offputting, and if it wasn't for facebook, it would have taken me time to figure out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Simple Q really. :p: I was having a bit of a stalk myself earlier, and was wondering if he might be too...he always seems cool as a cucumber but I'm not so sure!
    One word: yes.

Facebook doesn't let anyone see who viewed their page. Any app saying they can show you who viewed your profile is a con or it just works it out based on who interacted with your page.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.