Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I could have gone to a top uni :( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    tbh the fees are going up, I really can't afford it and what if I don't get into med after reapplying
    Be confident that you'll get in next year! A year is a lot f time to think about where you went wrong and get more volunteering and work experience done. A lot of very good candidates end up having to reapply and they do get in, and you will too as long as you do the work. As for the money part, you won't have to pay the fee upfront and you will be able to pay it back easily once you're a doctor. Also, what's the point of doing a course you are not interested in for three years even if it is cheaper? You'll only end up in a job you don't enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I achieved four As in AS and applied for medicine and one medical related course at an Okayish uni. I really did think that I would get into medicine and that I wouldn’t have to use my 5th choice. I have received all 4 rejections for medicine but have an offer for my 5th choice.

There are people in my year with lower grades than me who will be going to top unis. I can’t help thinking about the fact if I wasn’t so confident I could have also gone to a better uni.

I feel so depressed I will be going to do BBB course with A*AA. I don’t know what to do. I know it’s a bit pathetic, but I always wanted to study at a top uni, btw taking a gap year is not an option
    Keep anon please
    There are BBB courses at top universities.

There are A*AA courses at universities that aren't 'top'

I think, if you decline your last offer you could be eligible for UCAS Extra, but DOUBLE CHECK THAT.

ReputationRep:
    x
    What's is your 5th choice, and where at?

(Original post by withoutwax1111)
    Be confident that you'll get in next year! A year is a lot f time to think about where you went wrong and get more volunteering and work experience done. A lot of very good candidates end up having to reapply and they do get in, and you will too as long as you do the work. As for the money part, you won't have to pay the fee upfront and you will be able to pay it back easily once you're a doctor. Also, what's the point of doing a course you are not interested in for three years even if it is cheaper? You'll only end up in a job you don't enjoy.
    I do like the course. I just don't like the fact that the uni isn't so good

(Original post by Error)
    What's is your 5th choice, and where at?
    can I pm it to u lol I have friends on tsr I don't want them to find out

ReputationRep:
    can I pm it to u lol I have friends on tsr I don't want them to find out
    Ofcourseee. Won't tell a soul - promise. (:

Hi, "Top universities" do not carry a lot of weight. If you end up with a good degree and your A-levels/GCSE's are good then you will have no problem getting a decent high paying job. I got 4 A's at A-level and im studying law at nottingham trent university. Im on course for a high 2.1 or first in my second year and getting a job will be no problem for me. Oh and Trent only wanted BBB for law, and they were my first choice. If you enjoy the subject youve picked for the 5th place then i say take it, you never know what will happen. Life is all about the risks!

ReputationRep:
    tbh the fees are going up, I really can't afford it and what if I don't get into med after reapplying
    Oh come on have you even looked at how the tuition fees are paid back? The rise isn't a slap in the face its rather a poke in the arm.. research it properly.

As a doctor the degree is worth far more than a few thousand pounds, and with the high (ish) salary it'll pay off faster than most people.

Gap year it.

im in the same situation as you. a gap year isnt an optuon for me either. ucas extra is honestly the best option if you wont reapply. google ucas course search and for the course you like, many
    top unis have a lot of vacancies for medical related courses i.e leeds, manchester, newcastle to name a few

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    it doesn't make sense to not do a gap year on monetary grounds, but want to do grad entry - seeing as the latter is even more ££
    Whether it makes sense or not, the OP asked what his options were, specifically stating that he wasn't willing to take a gap year, and I answered that question.

ReputationRep:
    I like the course that I'm going to study but I just wish that I could study it at a top uni
    You haven't said which university it is yet. It seems you relying on the league tables as a guideline - don't, they're often inaccurate. Besides, it's what you make out of your degree that counts, not how good the university is. Going to a good university doesn't mean you'll succeed and going to a bad one doesn't mean you'll fail. Besides, it's asking for BBB, that's hardly terrible! Be glad!

ReputationRep:
    I like the course that I'm going to study but I just wish that I could study it at a top uni
    So reapply?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    my friend took 3 gap years in order to get into medicine. i think she'd argue it was worth the wait! :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    If your mind is set on medicine at a top uni, go and do some form of work in a hospital for a year and then reapply. Also do some volunteer stuff, john's ambulance etc, and build up an impressive cv. If you want to just go to uni now, look at biology/biomedicine based courses in clearing, get a high grade, and do postgrad medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't see why you can't name the uni you have an offer from? I know decent uni's that have grades that low for science courses

ReputationRep:
    I achieved four As in AS and applied for medicine and one medical related course at an Okayish uni. I really did think that I would get into medicine and that I wouldn’t have to use my 5th choice. I have received all 4 rejections for medicine but have an offer for my 5th choice.

There are people in my year with lower grades than me who will be going to top unis. I can’t help thinking about the fact if I wasn’t so confident I could have also gone to a better uni.

I feel so depressed I will be going to do BBB course with A*AA. I don’t know what to do. I know it’s a bit pathetic, but I always wanted to study at a top uni, btw taking a gap year is not an option
    Keep anon please
    UCAS Extra? Can't you use that for an extra choice. It's an option.
    Sorry to hear about your rejections. I got three rejections.
    Why isn't a gap year feasible?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.