Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    british have started their campaign now

ReputationRep:
    A US military chief says a total of 110 Tomahawk missiles have been launched against Libyan sites. He said the Coalition operation has been named Odyssey Dawn.

ReputationRep:
    How is David Cameron Able to send British Air Force to Libya without Parliamentary approval ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James10000)
    How is David Cameron Able to send British Air Force to Libya without Parliamentary approval ?
    I think because it was approved under the un, so there was no need to have a vote in parliament. And also we are not entering a war, we are only using military intervention so again it doesn't need parliamentary aprroval. I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishy786)
    Oh yeah I do, they had a chance to intervene earlier on but they said no **** it! we wait till they butcher some more Muslims than we intervene like we are heroes!

Your examples are few and far between. You got your asses kicked in Somalia.

Does anyone remember Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/Somalia and soon to be the whole of the middle east?

Why don't they intervene in Chechnya if they really cared about it? No! because they can't stand up to Russian Firepower because the gas and oil, not to mention investments in Western countries will dry up like the oilfields of Iraq.
    What do you mean we got our "asses kicked" in Somalia? Firstly, I was not part of those operations. Secondly, the objective was not to win a war, but to try and respond to a humanitarian crisis. And thirdly, operations such as those enacted by UNITAF were successful.

Fine, you want more examples? How about the likes of East Timor, Haiti and Rwanda as well? Regardless of their success, 6 instances of humanitarian intervention in the last 20 years bearing no relation to oil are hardly "few and far between".

Yes, it's true that the West won't intervene in Chechnya. This is because it would not only destroy our relations with Russia, but challenging a country with a relatively powerful military like Russia would create an extremely brutal conflict. Of course humanitarian intervention is only beneficial in a limited number of cases, but why does this mean that we shouldn't defend human rights in any cases at all?

I fail to see how your argument detracts from the good that intervention in Libya will bring.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I do, they had a chance to intervene earlier on but they said no **** it! we wait till they butcher some more Muslims than we intervene like we are heroes!

Your examples are few and far between. You got your asses kicked in Somalia.

Does anyone remember Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/Somalia and soon to be the whole of the middle east?

Why don't they intervene in Chechnya if they really cared about it? No! because they can't stand up to Russian Firepower because the gas and oil, not to mention investments in Western countries will dry up like the oilfields of Iraq.
    Yes they can't intervene in Chechnya or Myanmar because of the regional powers of Russia/China. And who's fault is that? The US's? NO, it's China's fault for supporting a military junta in Burma.

Why blame everything on the US, the West consider humanitarian intervention which may not be in their own interest. Let me know when China does that. They won't even vote for UN resolutions to protect civilians if they breach sovereignty-some apparently inalienable right for a dictator to do whatever he wants to his own people. We are the most moral players in the world, and we should have confidence in that rather than blaming ourselves and each other each time a single military error takes place in the world and a civilian is killed. This will inevitably happen in Libya, and the press will go wild, whilst thousands killed by Gaddafi will make second or third page stories. It actually stems from a condescending racism. We must make sure we do everything we can to prevent that, but in doing what we are doing we are right despite the inevitable collaterol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say... You seem to be agreeing with me or what?
    No, I think we should intervene certainly with a no-fly zone, and potentially with a ground force in the near-future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    I find it very weird how people easily criticise the UK government for not doing enough in countries where their leaders are bombing their own people...when we do take action, everyone complains and says it's for oil.

So what if it is for oil? - public seems to complain about that a lot too...
    Many people in the UK just moan regardless of the situation. It's like a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishlarr)
    Many people in the UK just moan regardless of the situation. It's like a hobby.
    Agreed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hope this backfires so badly on France and the UK they don't intervene in the Middle East again. The only reason this is happening in Libya and not China or Saudi Arabia is because Gaddafi dared to defy the interests of Western leaders, the same hippies condemning him now in the name of "human rights" were all happy to be his pals not so long ago.

ReputationRep:
    So why do the Western forces intervene in a country where the majority of the population do not want them? The Pro-gaddafi supporters outweigh the rebel forces and Gadaffai certainly does not want them in his country. In addition, the rebels also do want a full western military offensive in their country because they know that if they beat gaddafi, then they are going to have to give up some lucrative oil wells and other concessions to oil companies.

And is not what the Western forces are doing across the middle east by building bases regarded as neocolonialism?

What are the UN doing to stop the atrocities that have been happening since the war started? The UN is a shambles, only intervening where it deems necessary to protect the developed world countries, in particular America which has influence. Why do Western countries go running to the UN when they want a favorable solution to their problems but do not denounce any impartial investigations? Why did the UN react so promptly and bow to pressure when it came to Libya and not the Democratic Republic of Congo?

So in which situations should you use military force?
    Source please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    I find it very weird how people easily criticise the UK government for not doing enough in countries where their leaders are bombing their own people...when we do take action, everyone complains and says it's for oil.

So what if it is for oil? - public seems to complain about that a lot too...
    The public generally speaking do like to complain about their goverment though. I know I'm as guilty with regards to this as most people.

ReputationRep:
    Im really pleased this is happening. Hopefully he'll die in the bombings I think he had it coming and it serves him right. When he goes hopefully it'll turn into a decent country and not just go back to how it was.

ReputationRep:
    We are going into Libya for oil its no different to Britain colonizing Africa for its resources 100 years ago. BP will get huge oil contracts and pay the new Libyan governments low royalties. The UK will tax petrol more and then say oh look price of oil has gone up so lets increase green taxes so we can waste more money. Its all about Money.

Gaddafi is a monster but he is not corrupt

Why do only muslim countries get 'liberated' why not burma or zimbabwe ?
    to me radicals who say the west it at war with Islam seem to have a very strong case

ReputationRep:
    We are going into Libya for oil its no different to Britain colonizing Africa for its resources 100 years ago. BP will get huge oil contracts and pay the new Libyan governments low royalties. The UK will tax petrol more and then say oh look price of oil has gone up so lets increase green taxes so we can waste more money. Its all about Money.

Why do only muslim countries get 'liberated' why not burma or zimbabwe ?
    to me radicals who say the west it at war with Islam seem to have a very strong case
    :eek: what are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    Please remove yourself from the cave you seem to have been living in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    One side is a tyrant killing his own people, the other side is the people, and you're telling me there isn't a moral high ground?
    He isn't killing his own people unless they attack the military forces...

There are civilian groups protesting in favour of gaddafi for crying out loud.

(Original post by imperial maniac)
    There are civilian groups protesting in favour of gaddafi for crying out loud.
    At their own free will?

ReputationRep:
    Well you've done your research :ahee:

Nawt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    A US military chief says a total of 110 Tomahawk missiles have been launched against Libyan sites. He said the Coalition operation has been named Odyssey Dawn.
    Where the **** do they get these codenames from? Anyone would think theyre in the army

:horse:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.