Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do u think it helps to control crime? Or, has it reached to a point where our privacy is being invaded?

What makes you think that the two are mutually exclusive?

ReputationRep:
    Privacy is definitely being invaded, however, I think it's necessary in the current society because crime is practically out of control. If we could bring down crime then the need for CCTV would be minimal and so it could be removed. Tougher punishments, more police on the streets, decent education etc - there are plenty of ways to reduce crime, none of which Labour has managed to implement.

ReputationRep:
    but then look at programmes such as crimewatch. It shows that even tho society is out of control, criminals still go out and act out crimes. They know cctv is all around but..........I mean, is it really a detterant?

ReputationRep:
    They will just wear hoodies but thats another debate all together.

ReputationRep:
    The hoodies ban in some cities is good tho where cctv is concerned

ReputationRep:
    CCTV violates freedom. Why should I be on screen, when I've done nothing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you would say that if you or your family were hurt infront of a camera and their was evidence on the tape? If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    If I've done nothing wrong I shouldn't be filmed.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is invading your privacy. CCTV only operates in public places, so why should you be doing anything untoward in these places? Its not like the council have put up cameras in your downstairs toilet is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacey)
    do u think it helps to control crime? Or, has it reached to a point where our privacy is being invaded?
    Course it helps control crime and what sort of privacy is being invaded anyway??? your only being watched to walk down the street or look at the latest Look magazine in Woolworths

(Original post by zooropa)
    CCTV violates freedom. Why should I be on screen, when I've done nothing wrong?
    I believe cctv is not there to catch people that have done nothing wrong, it is there to help catch criminals, also its adds increase safety to a location thus gives an individual a greater sense of safety.
    If you've done nothing wrong, then whats the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Theres far too many now, we are officially the police state of the world. In the UK we do not know the meaning of the word 'privacy', we are being almost constantly watched by someone else...

If CCTV is so good at stopping crime then why, in the country with the heaviest surveillance in the world, do we also have a hugely disproportiate amount of criminals?

Heres a picture I took in London a few months ago, I was trying to take a picture of Big Ben from a different angle, only to find when I uploaded it that there was a huge collection of CCTV cameras in the way! :rolleyes:

'Safe beneath the watchful eyes' huh?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    If CCTV is so good at stopping crime then why, in the country with the heaviest surveillance in the world, do we also have a hugely disproportiate amount of criminals?
    Because were no good at sorting them out when they are caught

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    Thats another debate altogether, but I agree that we are pussies when it comes to handling criminals...

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind it. So what.. noooo I am filmed walking down the road, a part of my very soul has been stolen from me, I go home and cry.

Besides, comeone you mean no-one else sits at their computer all day watching those live feeds from unprotected webacams? I know I do. It makes you feel kinda like god, watching the little people go about their daily routine.... and they don't know you are watching Muhahahahaaaaaaw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    We have pussies for policemen, no firearms on officers, a first for a super power, I think we have the only unarmed police force in the world....

And secondly..... this country is so tied up in political correctness that it has been blinded from reality

ReputationRep:
    i don't mind it theres not many in some areas. but then you go to town and theres hundred of them.
    they have tons in the streets how about getting more in the actualy shops insted then you can get them doing the crime... not legging it from it lols

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    I believe cctv is not there to catch people that have done nothing wrong, it is there to help catch criminals, also its adds increase safety to a location thus gives an individual a greater sense of safety.
    If you've done nothing wrong, then whats the problem?
    I shouldn't be filmed, period.

ReputationRep:
    What is your exact reason for not wanting to be filmed?

That picture of big ben is stupid, do you think we should just leave the houses of parliament unprotected by cameras or what?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.