Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacey)
    do u think it helps to control crime? Or, has it reached to a point where our privacy is being invaded?
    i think it helps a small part of the description of people but with hats and scarfs covering their faces it cant help all that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    That picture of big ben is stupid, do you think we should just leave the houses of parliament unprotected by cameras or what?
    Well the Houses of Parliament have survived centuries without CCTV cameras, so I don't see why it would be essential, but thats not my point.

The picture just startled me when I got back to find what is essentially the home of British democracy and the battleground of civil liberties, being prayed upon by loads of cameras. It is quite thought provoking really, and a sign of how times are changing.
    If I hadn't taken that picture then I wouldn't have even known the cameras were there, and i'm sure we only really notice very few of the 4.2million CCTV cameras in this country, they are literally everywhere.

CCTV cameras do not stop criminals, they are a waste of money, they undermine our privacy, and in the UK we have far too many already!

ReputationRep:
    CCTV doesn't stop crime, it records it.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how crime rates compare b4 cctv was in operation, to now-where there is a lot of cctv?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester's Market Street had the most advanced CCTV system in Europe, (it might be Oxford St London now) but since it was introduced crime went down dramaticaly.

ReputationRep:
    CCTV cameras do not prevent crime - They should allow prosecution of people who perpetrate crime, but the problem is, the pictures are always of low quality so unless the criminal in question stands a foot infront of the camera, in portrait and profile with a little board announcing his name, address and intentions, they are essentially useless. Many people do feel safer with them though - and I admit it may stop petty crimes that effect the majority of the public (bag snatchings, muggings.etc.), but its not a good enough solution.
    Also - as stated, we are pussies when it comes to convicting people..."but he's said sorry - isn't that good enough?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    CCTV cameras do not prevent crime - They should allow prosecution of people who perpetrate crime, but the problem is, the pictures are always of low quality so unless the criminal in question stands a foot infront of the camera, in portrait and profile with a little board announcing his name, address and intentions, they are essentially useless.
    Some of the newer systems are incredible though. Recordings from older equipment using time lapse video recorders, etc. are quite poor but with newer equipment using digital video recording onto hard drives, the quality is much, much better.

I've even seen a system which takes things a step forwards and uses facial recognition to track people - one of the most labour intensive operations in CCTV surveillance - so the operator just needs to identify the person they want to find and it can track them through the area covered by the system.

Now talk about privacy infringement

(Original post by bikerx23)
    Also - as stated, we are pussies when it comes to convicting people..."but he's said sorry - isn't that good enough?"
    Yep...I should think that they'd be more sorry that they were caught rather than actual remorse for their crime - afterall, why would they commit the crime in the first place if they were going to be sorry later :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    CCTV violates freedom. Why should I be on screen, when I've done nothing wrong?
    because you could have done something wrong... why does it matter to you if your on screen if you've done nothing wrong??

But yeah crimes need to be punished a lot lot more, its the only detterant which could have any real effect on crime levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swinely)
    because you could have done something wrong.
    Such as what?
    .. why does it matter to you if your on screen if you've done nothing wrong??
    It violates my privacy. I don't want to be filmed.

ReputationRep:
    What's so bad about it exactly? You keep saying you don't want to be filmed because it violates your privacy without expanding on why this is such an issue. Is it any different from someone in the street sitting on a bench watching you? Not really; it might be kept for a week (at the most) in case crimes have been committed but then it's gone. So what's the issue?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.