Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there a huge difference in material and level of difficulity between Math studies and Math SL ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes there is, I would say.

Maths studies is more focused on things like statistics, and more basic things in maths, like pythagoras, simple probability, simple calculus etc. It is a great subject for people who might not excel at maths and won't need maths for uni.

Maths SL is harder in terms of content and concepts. A very large portion of the syllabus is calculus, it also contains things like vectors, matrices, probability, statistics, logarithms, trigonometry etc. I'd say it's good for people who are quite good at maths but for whom they won't definitely need HL for uni.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I dropped down from SL to studies at the end of my first year of IB and my grade improved from a 4 to a 7.

SL is harder, naturally. It does differentiation, which it has in common with the studies course, but in more detail. It's a good course to take if you're uni course requires it, or if you want a bit of a challenge.

Studies is comparable to IGCSE extended maths, there is a bit of an extension in statistics and you do differentiation too (but in far simpler terms that SL) but it's all right. And, there is no non-calculator paper, so theres no horrible mental math to worry about, which was a plus for me . It's simple stuff and if you're not good at math this is a good course to take, especially if you're not going to carry on with math after school. It's heavily based around statistic and the sort of simple math you'd need to get by in the real world.

I'd say, and this is just my opinion don't take it as the final word, that SL is alright if you're uni requires it or if you want a challenge or are interested in math but don't want to do HL. But if you know you'll never need it again, and math really isn't you're strong point, then studies is better as it's far simpler and won't take up too much time.

ReputationRep:
    Its quite a jump up, studies do cover 2 chapters that SL cover, apart from that its all basic stuff. There used to be a saying at my old school 'if you can't get a 7 in math studies, you're a retard'.

ReputationRep:
    Well apart from learning how to use more of the buttons on your calculator its practically the same stuff. Also depends on what math u'll need if moving onto university. Better to get the harder stuff out of the way now, so u dont have to think of that jazz when u reach uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escocia)
    Well, I dropped down from SL to studies at the end of my first year of IB and my grade improved from a 4 to a 7.

SL is harder, naturally. It does differentiation, which it has in common with the studies course, but in more detail. It's a good course to take if you're uni course requires it, or if you want a bit of a challenge.

Studies is comparable to IGCSE extended maths, there is a bit of an extension in statistics and you do differentiation too (but in far simpler terms that SL) but it's all right. And, there is no non-calculator paper, so theres no horrible mental math to worry about, which was a plus for me . It's simple stuff and if you're not good at math this is a good course to take, especially if you're not going to carry on with math after school. It's heavily based around statistic and the sort of simple math you'd need to get by in the real world.

I'd say, and this is just my opinion don't take it as the final word, that SL is alright if you're uni requires it or if you want a challenge or are interested in math but don't want to do HL. But if you know you'll never need it again, and math really isn't you're strong point, then studies is better as it's far simpler and won't take up too much time.
    Agree totally. In my experience SL and Studies differ /hugely/ in terms of difficulty. I took Studies and easily got a 7, it was a subject I didn't really have to think about when the May exams came which took a lot of pressure off me.

Conversely, my friends who did SL were worried about the kind of grade they could achieve, and in some cases it did affect their uni aspirations (One of my friends missed his Exeter offer because of a lvl 5 in SL maths).

If Maths isn't required for your uni course Studies is a far better option and universities will not think less of you for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.