Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Does anyone know if there's a limit to how much you can get clothes adjusted (to make them smaller)? I still have my prom dress but have lost a lot of weight since then (dropped 2-3 dress sizes depending on clothes) and it's literally falling off me now, it's strapless and if I lift my arms up the chest falls down to my waist - not one I'm going to be wearing out any time soon then!

So basically I would like to get it altered, but wasn't sure if you could only get it altered a certain amount and after that it would stop being cut right? I will just take it to the place in town that does that sort of thing and ask them but wondered if anyone here had had any similar experiences and could share advice!

It's a floor length, strapless A-line dress with a built in support in the bodice if that's any help!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd hazard a guess that if it's boned, it'll be too difficult to alter.

However, I'm not a professional seamstress, so by all means don't quote me on that.

Your best bet is to take it to the alteration place and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    It can be altered but no doubt it'll be expensive. They'd probably rip out all the current support and replace it, so you may need to visit a lot for them to get it fitted again.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both of you - I think my best bet will be to go along and see what they say!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.