Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this will probably be wrong, but it still bugs me.
    Before I went to uni (I'm finishing my 2nd year now), I had a best friend called Kim from school. When I started looking and applying to unis, she got funny with me. She basically was quite selfish
    She said things like "what about me?" and "can't you just go to a uni near here so you can live at home"... And when I explained that I had to go to the best uni for my course, and that I'd still visit, it wasn't good enough for her.
    She was really not supportive at all, and whenever I mentioned an interview or something she'd change the subject. So all of this made me really not want to hang around with her any more.

On top of that, at our joint new years party (in my last year of 6th form), I had a guy come up to me, indicate to my boyfriend and say "if he ever touches you again, you tell me." It turns out she'd told lies to all our friends that my boyfriend has hit me.

^After this I didn't contact her. She texted me in the middle of the summer asking to meet up, and I just said I was busy.
    I didn't feel I wanted to be friends with someone who 1. didn't support me at all in something so important to me, and got angry at me for going to uni, and 2. told lies about me, I thought we were closer than that.

Sorry for the length of that, but it still bugs me and I wonder if I was wrong for reacting the way I did and if I should have made more of an effort after starting uni.
    I've made some amazing friends at uni, and am still close with other friends from home, but after a few comments from her since (online) about me being selfish for going I've just stopped contact, blocked her etc.

Was I wrong? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Ok, this will probably be wrong, but it still bugs me.
    Before I went to uni (I'm finishing my 2nd year now), I had a best friend called Kim from school. When I started looking and applying to unis, she got funny with me. She basically was quite selfish
    She said things like "what about me?" and "can't you just go to a uni near here so you can live at home"... And when I explained that I had to go to the best uni for my course, and that I'd still visit, it wasn't good enough for her.
    She was really not supportive at all, and whenever I mentioned an interview or something she'd change the subject. So all of this made me really not want to hang around with her any more.

On top of that, at our joint new years party (in my last year of 6th form), I had a guy come up to me, indicate to my boyfriend and say "if he ever touches you again, you tell me." It turns out she'd told lies to all our friends that my boyfriend has hit me.

^After this I didn't contact her. She texted me in the middle of the summer asking to meet up, and I just said I was busy.
    I didn't feel I wanted to be friends with someone who 1. didn't support me at all in something so important to me, and got angry at me for going to uni, and 2. told lies about me, I thought we were closer than that.

Sorry for the length of that, but it still bugs me and I wonder if I was wrong for reacting the way I did and if I should have made more of an effort after starting uni.
    I've made some amazing friends at uni, and am still close with other friends from home, but after a few comments from her since (online) about me being selfish for going I've just stopped contact, blocked her etc.

Was I wrong? :confused:
    Short response: No.
    And I think you know you didn't do anything wrong either

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Your friend is a *****.
    She sounds immature, in the way girls at are the beginning of secondary school, not at the age to go to university.

You did nothing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. The university thing was forgivable had she apologised but the lie she made up is like crossing the line. Like she overlapped that line.

Had you lived elsewhere, your boyfriend could have gotten seriously hurt for not doing jack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penguin-)
    Short response: No.
    And I think you know you didn't do anything wrong either
    Well I thought I didn't, but when people ask me "have you seen kim recently", and I say no, and they wonder why, it makes me worry that I could have over reacted.

ReputationRep:
    No. I can't believe you even call her a friend

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.