Turn on thread page Beta

A question about huskies watch

ReputationRep:
    A man came up to me in the park today whilst I was walking my dog (who is not a husky). He asked me where he could get a husky and if they were allowed off the lead. I told him no I didn't think they were because they have no recall so that's dangerous. He didn't seem to believe me, I wasn't 100% sure but does anyone who knows about huskies know if this is correct? I'm just curious! He didn't seem to know anything about dogs so I'd be worried if he went and got one online or something

ReputationRep:
    1. Not all Huskies have no recall.

2. If a dog is dangerously out of control, then you're liable under the dangerous dogs act. So far as I know, however, there aren't any laws specific to dogs not named in section 1 of the dangerous dogs act and dogs which aren't subject to a control order until they actually commit an offence which can be classed as dangerously out of control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    1. Not all Huskies have no recall.

2. If a dog is dangerously out of control, then you're liable under the dangerous dogs act. So far as I know, however, there aren't any laws specific to dogs not named in section 1 of the dangerous dogs act and dogs which aren't subject to a control order until they actually commit an offence which can be classed as dangerously out of control.
    Most huskies seem to suck at recall - I do agree that some dogs don't fall into that, but it's just generally the huskie owners rule to not let your huskie off the lead.

So yeah, that guy needed to be made aware and if he wants to let his huskie off the lead he's gonna have to practise recall more than anything as huskies are very stubborn!

ReputationRep:
    For a start it seems weird anyone would ask you this question but there we are and as a side note i've never been a fan of keeping huskies as pets.

Anyway first thing is huskies will escape at any chance they will get and will get around most basic things that stop other dogs escaping. They can clear 6ft fences, open doors and fences and dig. Secondly as the need to work is so ingrained in them they need to be kept occupied else they spend their time trying to escape. Thirdly letting them off the lead usually ends up with them being hit by a car or being shot at by a farmer for chasing and killing his livestock. I think anyone with a full time job and a small garden should get themselves a cat tbh, huskies are far more trouble then they are worth.

ReputationRep:
    Huskies have high pray instinct - ie they will chase other animals (and most probably kill them)

They don't have much in the way of traffic skills, so they may not get far...

As the above poster said, huskies don't make good pets - they also need a lot of attention (being inteligent) and can be very distructive when bored, so you have to have alot of free time.

ReputationRep:
    I know huskies are not a breed you should really get if you don't know a lot about dogs. They need an awful lot of exercise and training.

Ive got a husky x lab and he is fine at recall etc. it must be the lab in him. However he does like to run. He can run faster than most dogs we meet and will go really far in the forest where we walk him.

I was under the impression you could not let huskies off because yes their recall is bad. I am sure you can probably train them but it would take time. Naturally they would roam for miles and miles and i think this instinct is why their recall is so bad.

ReputationRep:
    Aw this thread makes me sad, there goes my hopes of owning a husky one day

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of dogs in rescue homes that need a loving family instead of giving your money to breeders.

ReputationRep:
    They're intelligent dogs, very energetic (need walking at least twice a day, fairly long walk too) and they shed hair like crazy. A lot of people have them as pets, they're not that bad from my experiences with them, but you do have to be a good, dedicated owner otherwise it's not fair on the animal.
    Another very similar breed to consider is the Alaskan Malumute. They're quieter and more loyal, but slightly bigger than a Husky.

Malumute:

I'm gonna get an Akita someday hopefully, awesome dog.

Also just thought I'd mention that a lot of people think they know a lot about dog breeds, but if you speak to vets and look up information on them you'll see that there are loads of misconceptions about different breeds.

ReputationRep:
    I would never buy an Akita personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    There are plenty of dogs in rescue homes that need a loving family instead of giving your money to breeders.

Definitely agree with Trigger on this. I feel quite strongly about rescue dogs, owning two myself - rescues around the country are absolutely full of lovely dogs which, often due to absolutely no fault of their own, have lost their homes. They should never be overlooked by people considering getting a dog, but all too often they are

ReputationRep:
    I know a husky who lives down my road, and he is never on the lead and just walks calmly next to his owner no matter what happens. So i guess its not the case that ALL huskies are bad at recall, just that the majority are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponpon14)
    I know a husky who lives down my road, and he is never on the lead and just walks calmly next to his owner no matter what happens. So i guess its not the case that ALL huskies are bad at recall, just that the majority are.
    It could have been a cross or a Malumute (sp).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moooooooose)
    A man came up to me in the park today whilst I was walking my dog (who is not a husky). He asked me where he could get a husky and if they were allowed off the lead. I told him no I didn't think they were because they have no recall so that's dangerous.
    What you told him isn't right or wrong; some huskies are better than others at recall. I have friends who walk their adult husky safely without a lead all the time.

(Original post by Moooooooose)
    He didn't seem to know anything about dogs so I'd be worried if he went and got one online or something
    I've got a four month old husky and its my first dog that I've owned.. Don't really think it'd be fair to see him as something to be worried about if he did get one; I've managed.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.