Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loling909)
    We're talking about hair, not her singing voice. Although I do agree with you...
    weave doe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen4)
    I have natural hair, and I love it. What I find strange is that white people love my hair and are more accepting of my hair, whilst other black women like to ask 'what happened to your hair?' The women that ask this either have a draw back or some jacked up weave.
    :rofl2: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL!! :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I love wearing my hair natural! I think it looks better when it's natural, straightened hair nearly always looks in bad condition, I think.
    But I know how to look after mine and control it so it doesn't look like a bird's nest. A lot of women don't know how to look after theirs so I guess relaxing just makes things easier.

ReputationRep:
    i always thought they did it because of tradition/culture(?)

ReputationRep:
    Surely not!!

Pics
    Not saying the curly hair is ugly, but the better looking styles are the wavy hair

What is 'relaxed' hair? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Not saying the curly hair is ugly, but the better looking styles are the wavy hair

Relaxed hair has gone through a chemical process which removes the strong curl in hair, making it somewhat straight, or "relaxed".

ReputationRep:
    I agree tbh

ReputationRep:
    I think it's funny when i see my relatives and school mates with blonde weave. I think it looks awful, and i tell them that. Be proud of your hair, make sure it looks nice, but there's a limit to what looks good. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)

Maybe this will explain things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you7me)
    i always thought they did it because of tradition/culture(?)
    Nope, black hair, typically African hair is very very very course and un-manageable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I agree tbh
    LOL Who's that?

ReputationRep:
    Relaxed hair has gone through a chemical process which removes the strong curl in hair, making it somewhat straight, or "relaxed".
    Would this be the same process as what I've heard referred to as 'chemical straightening'? Not that I know what that is, but I will if it's the same

ReputationRep:
    LOL Who's that?
    Who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why aren't black women never confident about their natural hair? I'm black myself and it really saddens me when girls are scared of their natural hair. Isn't natural afro hair deemed attractive on women or something? Nearly all the black women I know either 'relax' their hair or wear wigs and weaves.

Confident black women who aren't scared of their natural hair - I love y'all
    Maybe they just find their hair easier to manage, or prefer it that way? I'm not black (but I have thick curly hair) and I sometimes straighten my hair, it's essentially the same thing. I usually do it because I want a change or I think it will look better with what I'm wearing. I love my curly hair but it can be a pain in the butt sometimes lol, so I imagine it's the same for black women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    Maybe this will explain things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So
    That's messed up. Then again, most women are victims of that sort of advertising. I heard a while ago that the main reason black women wouldn't learn to swim is because of their hair, this backs it up I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen4)
    I have natural hair, and I love it. What I find strange is that white people love my hair and are more accepting of my hair, whilst other black women like to ask 'what happened to your hair?' The women that ask this either have a draw back or some jacked up weave.
    Ohmigosh, this!
    I'm trying to start locs, and I've had mine in for about 3-4 months. Every non black person/black person with natural hair is like 'I love your hair!' and my mum is like 'Why don't you get a weave?'. Hmmph. I've taken them out now, I'm going to go to a hairdresser and start them again. Natural hair is only hard to manage when you don't know what to do with it. I don't and I have no patience with my hair, so I put it in locs. Before I got locs I wanted to cut my hair off! I hate relaxers though, I don't like chemicals.
    'Jacked up weave' LMAO!

ReputationRep:
    u [email protected] dont know about the power of the afro.

Real talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Who?
    That:

I'm guessing that's you. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My last relaxer was 18 months ago and I have all natural hair now. To be honest though, I'm not really liking it that much. I really want long hair and it's taking so long to grow, and I can't do that much with it. My afro doesn't look too nice on me as it's too short right now, and twists don't look so nice either as they look too short and babyish unless I tie them back into a ponytail, or do a nice twistout style.

So yeah, I'm wearing a half wig these days now. And no, it's not because of any of this self-hating bull****, it's just much easier to deal with. Instead of bothering to style my hair every single day for college or whatever, it's just easier to throw on my nice wig and go.

When my hair gets much longer (if that'll ever happen) then I'll probably be wearing it out natural more.

Meh, personally, no matter what I try my real hair's just a mess 90% of time, whether it's natural or relaxed :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It's not Black FRRRRRRDAYY FRRRRDAYYY.

Black hair in general is fragile, it's very hard to manage and dries easily especially in cold weather. All a black woman can do in order to prevent hair 'breakage' is to tie it all black, and that's well... boring plain Jane. Besides black hair doesn't grow as fast as white hair.

Weave/braids adds variety, locks in moisture and prevents hair damage/loss (provided the hair is fixed properly).

Edit - BUT black hair NEEDS to breathe, weaves/braids must be done in moderation. Or else your hair will be even more fragile (thus leading to hair loss/breakage) and the hair line might start receding (due to the constant pulling and tightness of a weave). :lolwut:

A lot of black girls wear weaves/lace wigs toooo often that it causes irreversible damage to their natural hair. Hence the reason why they wear weaves/wigs non stop.

My hair is almost always natural (50% of the time) or in braids (50% of the time). I personally don't particularly like weaves. I don't wear them often.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.