Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge is elitist watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is a 'Cambridge double'?

I know someone who saw him around Oxford recently. Maybe we're paying him on the sly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anycon)
    What is a 'Cambridge double'?
    I think he refers to the fact that he now has one degree from each uni in Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Although great academics such as Quentin Skinner have been awarded double starred first degrees from Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    He knows as much about Cambridge uni right now as I do...

You can't make valuable comments about an institution you attended decades ago, it defies all logic.

What awful alumni you have, a comedian humiliating cambridge for being elitist, as if they haven't got enough problems already...
    he's still bitter because since he left they let women in all the colleges...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navindu)
    he's still bitter because since he left they let women in all the colleges...
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    Although great academics such as Quentin Skinner have been awarded double starred first degrees from Cambridge.
    and Roy Porter ... and Alain de Botton (lol)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I feel there is elitism at cambridge, intellectual elitism and i'm glad there are still centres of excellence. As a big fat single-parent pikey who came from a sink estate and left school without an O Level, I can honestly say i have never resented the existence of such establishments. I got lucky, made some dosh got my kid a better education , now in cambridge. a bloke who is priviledged but whose every family member is working class. A public school boy who is as uninterested in owning things as i am. Learning is a wonderful thing and predjudice abounds in all classes without doubt.
    PS I read Stephen Fry's biography and he was determined to go up to cambridge and was thrilled to get his place. I think Cambridge showed a refreshing openess to him. He has without doubt a wonderful brain and comes from the right kind of family, if we are to follow that line of thinking. However he was a convicted fraudster and this shows me that his college was more interested in his ability than his social status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigsy)
    Yes, I feel there is elitism at cambridge, intellectual elitism and i'm glad there are still centres of excellence. As a big fat single-parent pikey who came from a sink estate and left school without an O Level, I can honestly say i have never resented the existence of such establishments. I got lucky, made some dosh got my kid a better education , now in cambridge. a bloke who is priviledged but whose every family member is working class. A public school boy who is as uninterested in owning things as i am. Learning is a wonderful thing and predjudice abounds in all classes without doubt.
    PS I read Stephen Fry's biography and he was determined to go up to cambridge and was thrilled to get his place. I think Cambridge showed a refreshing openess to him. He has without doubt a wonderful brain and comes from the right kind of family, if we are to follow that line of thinking. However he was a convicted fraudster and this shows me that his college was more interested in his ability than his social status.

good on ya! I wish i knew more people like you. RESPECT>

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i think there IS elitism in Cambridge, and probably Oxford, too (i wouldn't know, i don't live there).
    I know that because i ****ed up on my GCSEs- i was seriously ill- i have a slim to none chance of getting in should i apply. And i'm as clever as the next applicant. I may not have gone to a public school, but from living in Cambridge all my life, i can tell you that there is this (rarely silent) snobbery that hangs about. And it's not just the students. It's the whole of the upper class.

Anglia Ruskin is not the equivalent of Brookes. Just so you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harpy)
    Personally, i think there IS elitism in Cambridge, and probably Oxford, too (i wouldn't know, i don't live there).
    I know that because i ****ed up on my GCSEs- i was seriously ill- i have a slim to none chance of getting in should i apply. And i'm as clever as the next applicant. I may not have gone to a public school, but from living in Cambridge all my life, i can tell you that there is this (rarely silent) snobbery that hangs about. And it's not just the students. It's the whole of the upper class.

Anglia Ruskin is not the equivalent of Brookes. Just so you know.
    I'm a first year and I have no idea how clever I am relative to the 130 other people doing my course. I have no idea how clever I am comapred to the 40 people who applied for mycourse at jesus and I only have a vague idea how clever I am compared to the 6 other people doing my course at jesus, let alone the other people at the college. I therefore don't see how you know you are as clever as the next applicant.

I did poorly in my gcses (1A* 5As 3Bs 1U) but I got an offer, there are plenty of people here who did badly at gcse for whatever reason but got in. they judge your potential and although you will be disadvantaged to an extent its not going to completely ruin your application chances (there are schemes available that people will be able to tell you about). If it is mentioned in your personal statement or reference that yo were ill it will be taken into account.

Yes there is snobbery here but you seem to equate students as all being part of the upper classes,which they are not. Yes there are some people here who are from the upper classes, some of them are snobbish. However you can equallly be snobbish and from a working class background - there are a few class warriors here who think because daddy didnt pay for their education they are better than everyone else. The make up of oxbridge is hugely disimilar to many other universities - which are hardly ever accused of snobbery. Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    and QI isn't?

fool.

ReputationRep:
    QI? and who was that aimed at, im lost

ReputationRep:
    Mr Fry - it's a thaer highbrow TV show he has hosted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    I'm a first year and I have no idea how clever I am relative to the 130 other people doing my course. I have no idea how clever I am comapred to the 40 people who applied for mycourse at jesus and I only have a vague idea how clever I am compared to the 6 other people doing my course at jesus, let alone the other people at the college. I therefore don't see how you know you are as clever as the next applicant.
    What i meant is that, compared to my peers who are applying, have applied, or will apply to oxbridge, i am roughly of the same intelligence. We get the same marks in tests- sometimes i do better, sometimes they do, it changes- we take the same subjects, to an extent; we are all roughly on the same level. I'm sure if they all did IQ tests, theirs would come out about the same spot as mine. It's just.. how it is.

I did poorly in my gcses (1A* 5As 3Bs 1U) but I got an offer, there are plenty of people here who did badly at gcse for whatever reason but got in. they judge your potential and although you will be disadvantaged to an extent its not going to completely ruin your application chances (there are schemes available that people will be able to tell you about). If it is mentioned in your personal statement or reference that yo were ill it will be taken into account.
    Hmm, let's hope so. I got 1A* 5As 3Bs 1C, so if you got an offer, maybe i'd get one. Who knows?

Yes there is snobbery here but you seem to equate students as all being part of the upper classes,which they are not. Yes there are some people here who are from the upper classes, some of them are snobbish. However you can equallly be snobbish and from a working class background - there are a few class warriors here who think because daddy didnt pay for their education they are better than everyone else. The make up of oxbridge is hugely disimilar to many other universities - which are hardly ever accused of snobbery.
    I know the students aren't all upper class, not anymore. And a fair few aren't snobby or elitist. And ys, it does seem that the most snobby are the ones with a working-class chip on their shoulders. But what can you do? I mean, despite all the Joe/Joanne Bloggses who get a place at Cambridge there still seems to be something that hangs about, giving off airs. I think, like Stpehen Fry said, the problems are more in not going than going.
    Maybe the problem lies in those who don't get accepted? There's probably a lot of resentment towads those who do get places from those who didn't quite. Who knows?

I'm thinking of applying to Southhampton for Medicine; Sheffield, Edinburgh and Manchester for six-year Medicine, aaaaaand.. somewhere else for chemistry or English. I'm not sure about those 2 choices yet. I got 10 months, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Mr Fry - it's a thaer highbrow TV show he has hosted.
    I'd disagree and say that QI is not so much highbrow as hilarious. But then, I do find those kind of complete random facts interesting, and, well, Alan Davies... legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harpy)
    What i meant is that, compared to my peers who are applying, have applied, or will apply to oxbridge, i am roughly of the same intelligence. We get the same marks in tests- sometimes i do better, sometimes they do, it changes- we take the same subjects, to an extent; we are all roughly on the same level. I'm sure if they all did IQ tests, theirs would come out about the same spot as mine. It's just.. how it is.

Hmm, let's hope so. I got 1A* 5As 3Bs 1C, so if you got an offer, maybe i'd get one. Who knows?

I know the students aren't all upper class, not anymore. And a fair few aren't snobby or elitist. And ys, it does seem that the most snobby are the ones with a working-class chip on their shoulders. But what can you do? I mean, despite all the Joe/Joanne Bloggses who get a place at Cambridge there still seems to be something that hangs about, giving off airs. I think, like Stpehen Fry said, the problems are more in not going than going.
    Maybe the problem lies in those who don't get accepted? There's probably a lot of resentment towads those who do get places from those who didn't quite. Who knows?

I'm thinking of applying to Southhampton for Medicine; Sheffield, Edinburgh and Manchester for six-year Medicine, aaaaaand.. somewhere else for chemistry or English. I'm not sure about those 2 choices yet. I got 10 months, so...
    Not even a majority of the students are uppper class. The majority are middle class. I don't know anyone who was rejected who has resentment to the place, maybe the odd pang of jealousy but to be honest most of them are enjoying a fun time at a russell group uni, have realised they will get a decent job at the end and are enjoy telling me about their 2 essays a term compared to my 2 a week. The make up of your medicine courses won't be very much different to cambridge to be honest, in fact its likely to be more 'socially exclusive' due to the expense of the degree.

Students all over the country can appear arrogant, students do stupid things and we generally don't have the greatest idea of how the world works and are thus prone to making silly political statements and do stupid arrogant things. This isn't something that is exclusive to Oxbridge but it seems that a student doing stupid arrogant things at Leeds/Sheffield is just a silly drunk student doing silly student ghings. At Oxbridge they are a stupid drunk *posh* student being an upper class arrogant c***.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    I'd disagree and say that QI is not so much highbrow as hilarious. But then, I do find those kind of complete random facts interesting, and, well, Alan Davies... legend.
    Yeah, agreed. I LOVE Alan Davies in the show!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harpy)
    I know that because i ****ed up on my GCSEs- i was seriously ill- i have a slim to none chance of getting in should i apply.
    Clearly you need a lesson in logic. harpy, you haven't even applied. you don't know whether cambridge would take you, because you have made assumptions and so decided not to bother. i can't see how you can honestly believe that the fact that you're not going to go to cambridge is a sign of snobbery. it's mostly just a sign that you're not applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    Clearly you need a lesson in logic. harpy, you haven't even applied. you don't know whether cambridge would take you, because you have made assumptions and so decided not to bother. i can't see how you can honestly believe that the fact that you're not going to go to cambridge is a sign of snobbery. it's mostly just a sign that you're not applying.
    I said elitism. And it stands to reason, doesn't it- usually only people with outstanding gcse results get in, therefore Cambridge is elitist. It picks the elite.

Oh, and from what i heard, as i have a legitimate reason for my **** up on my gcses, i could get in, so maybe i will apply.

ReputationRep:
    cam is elitist, so what?

so many equate the elite with snobs. Why?

elite= the best group. The whole idea of ox/cam is to select the best (their success at which seems to be split with the ones with an offer supporting the system and the ones without not). Thus they are elitist.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.