Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where would you like to work, and with which firm? watch

ReputationRep:
    So, now that I've got some VS's secured and can relax a bit until the summer, thought I'd start a light-hearted thread and see how it goes. I don't know with which firm, but I am really interested in the idea of working in New York. I spent 6 months there and in LA during my gap year, it's an amazing place and just a little bit more spectacular to somebody who has lived in London their whole lives like me.

Don't really know how I'd end up making that transition, except with firms who offer extended associate periods in other offices (can't imagine a 6 month secondment being sufficient?) and it's such an upheaval that it will take some thought, but it's nice to consider once in a while.

Shoot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob Loblaw)
    So, now that I've got some VS's secured and can relax a bit until the summer, thought I'd start a light-hearted thread and see how it goes. I don't know with which firm, but I am really interested in the idea of working in New York. I spent 6 months there and in LA during my gap year, it's an amazing place and just a little bit more spectacular to somebody who has lived in London their whole lives like me.

Don't really know how I'd end up making that transition, except with firms who offer extended associate periods in other offices (can't imagine a 6 month secondment being sufficient?) and it's such an upheaval that it will take some thought, but it's nice to consider once in a while.

Shoot.
    hey what job did u do in new york as im currently would like to work there for my gap year

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a huge fan of NY - it's just a massive grid! I much prefer the variety of London. That said, I could see myself happily working and living there. The only other place I would possibly consider is Hong Kong.

ReputationRep:
    I have never spent time in NY but would definitely like to visit it sometime soon... I presume that I will like it, so if I got a chance to work there, I'd probably jump at it any day. I would also consider Moscow, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, Zurich/Geneva, Paris and Brussels. Of course, these choices might vary once I decide which practice area I am most interested in.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to work at Cleary in NYC, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    I'd like to work at Cleary in NYC, I think.
    (On an unrelated note, your avatar is fantastic.)

For me, New York. Still not sure whether solicitor or barrister yet, let alone which firm/chambers.

ReputationRep:
    NY HK or the Middle East would be amazing for shorter periods of time (say 6 months- 2 year secondment periods), but i think i'd probably prefer to based in London for most of my career especially once i've settled down.

Can't imagine being more than a quick plane ride away from Scotland ;-)

In terms of firms, i think any of the firms with a great international footprint i.e. the MC, Hogan Lovells etc, one or two from the US BigLaw (but personally i've found most of these firms pay only lip service to properly penetrating international markets beyond the Middle East and Europe)

Definitely like transactional elements so would prefer a Corporate - Finance firm that one geared more towards litigation or niche practice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite enjoying a stint in the Middle East - good weather, cheap taxis and food and short commutes are big pluses. I could see myself working here/Hong Kong/Singapore or maybe even New Zealand/Australia in the future. Personally I'm not so keen on working in New York, I've had enough of living in a very big city that takes ages to get around in from living in London. It is tempting to do a Chalks, I hear on the grape vine that Oz firms are paying quite well at the moment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.