Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

buying car insurance over phone watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apparently buying car insurance over the phone is a better way than buying over the internet as on the phone you can haggle down the prices whereas online, the price you see is the price you get. However how does this work? Once they have quoted you cheaper over the phone and you don't want to buy the insurance until the next week what do you do about the quote you have just been given? do you have to take the person from the insurance company's name? How do you keep the quote you have just been given over the phone so that its there for when you are ready to buy it?

Once you've got a quote you like, get them to give you the reference number. Next time you phone up just quote the reference number and they can call it up (although it'll only be valid for a certain amount of time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    Apparently buying car insurance over the phone is a better way than buying over the internet as on the phone you can haggle down the prices whereas online, the price you see is the price you get. However how does this work? Once they have quoted you cheaper over the phone and you don't want to buy the insurance until the next week what do you do about the quote you have just been given? do you have to take the person from the insurance company's name? How do you keep the quote you have just been given over the phone so that its there for when you are ready to buy it?
    quotes are usually only valid for one day as the rate of insurance fluctuates. My Dad haggled his down he got his renewal quote rang them and asked if it was their best price and they said it was - so he did an online compare the meerkat quote and got lower prices so called them back asking to cancel and they said they could beat the price he'd been offered elsewhere and he said he had asked them for their best price before so that's what he should have been told - said he wasn't happy and they'd have to do him a really good deal. so they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Once you've got a quote you like, get them to give you the reference number. Next time you phone up just quote the reference number and they can call it up (although it'll only be valid for a certain amount of time).

BINGO!! thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    I know online you get a reference number so you can go back to it later on (if you dont want to pay there and then or whatever.) I think you can get a reference number over the phone too (im not 100% sure though). I know when i did my insurance yesterday- i got a reference number online, then phoned up, used that reference number and paid for it over the phone- because their website went funny every time i went to pay and wouldnt let me pay online. Quotes you get are only usually valid for a certain length of time though as prices change and all that.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Emma:-);30419749]I know online you get a reference number so you can go back to it later on (if you dont want to pay there and then or whatever.) I think you can get a reference number over the phone too (im not 100% sure though). I know when i did my insurance yesterday- i got a reference number online, then phoned up, used that reference number and paid for it over the phone- because their website went funny every time i went to pay and wouldnt let me pay online. Quotes you get are only usually valid for a certain length of time though

Okay thanks, ps: what time is the moon supposed to show tonight?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    [QUOTE=berryboysh;30419824]
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I know online you get a reference number so you can go back to it later on (if you dont want to pay there and then or whatever.) I think you can get a reference number over the phone too (im not 100% sure though). I know when i did my insurance yesterday- i got a reference number online, then phoned up, used that reference number and paid for it over the phone- because their website went funny every time i went to pay and wouldnt let me pay online. Quotes you get are only usually valid for a certain length of time though

Okay thanks, ps: what time is the moon supposed to show tonight?
    erm, a bit random, but i think it happened about 6-6:30pm ish tonight. Or something like that. I know it was meant to be before i finished work at 7 anyway.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.