Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is your experience of university - Good? Bad? Both? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know, these people who are saying they don't get on with their flatmates - are you living with friends you've made through course/socs next year, or living in a shared house with random flatmates?

My experience from my first uni was dire. But I'm looking forward to going back, yet scared I'll be put in a flat with people I don't get on with again :/

ReputationRep:
    First year at uni was the worst year of my life & failed the year, im in my second year now, ive still made no friends (had one in semester 2 of my first year who was soooooooooooooooo lovely but he left (( ), i dont know why, its not necessarily that im finding it difficult to its that i dont want to, everyone i meet is just boring (to me) & not my type of person, i'd rather spend my time alone than with someone i think is 'just ok' i want to be with someone i truly enjoy the company of. Joined this society met loads of people but deliberately lost contact with all of them and left the society because i didnt enjoy any of their company, must'v been about 30 of em aswell, didnt like a single person :/ whyyyy

I have no idea whats going on with me really i dont know what to do, i'm transferring into course level 2 to a different uni for next year so i guess all i can do is hope it will be better there than it was here. There's that same little spark of excitement i had before coming to this uni but i know that if im being realistic it will end up being the same experience as here.

if someone asked me to explain my life at the moment , the best way to explain it would be to draw a huge question mark on a piece of A3 paper and hold it up

ReputationRep:
    It's got progressively better. At the start it was awful. I hated halls (still do actually) and the people I am living with but now that I've made friends with people outside of halls it has got SO much better. Got my house and housemates sorted for next year and just enjoying my course and social life. Uni life is pretty good for me right now

ReputationRep:
    It really is luck of the draw in the first year because you have to live with whoever they stick you with. They could be really nice or they could be awful.

I think they should do a questionnaire you fill out about interests, how much you go out etc and then put you with similar people depending on that.

For example:

What is your ideal evening?
    - Clubbing, drinking and then vomiting.
    - Watching the Finger Scating Championship
    - 9 hours of Xbox.

You get the idea ...

ReputationRep:
    It was almost universally good. The only tough bit was my first few months of living in the US, but that didn't last long.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your responses everyone. I am glad to hear it was not just me.

My grandad died the day before I started uni, and my nana was really, really ill for most of my second term so uni has been quite turbulent for me so far. It's the first time I've ever really felt (properly) depressed and keeping going was a real struggle at times. That said, one of the primary reasons I didn't drop out was the friends I made there, and it's also been one of the funnest, most eye-opening and life-changing experiences of my life and I wouldn't change anything for the world!

ReputationRep:
    It's been good on the whole - the oppourtunities I have had have been brilliant.

However I've probably only enjoyed about a quarter of my modules, subsequently done horrific in essays and had to work my butt off to get a 2.1. Hoping this year will be better as I love all my modules. All of this and having to first cope with a long distance relationship then that LDR ending and going through a period of depression combined with exams and having to apply for mitigating circumstances wasn't good. I would say my third year looks to be better if not a little more stressful. My relationship (the same one as before) is brilliant now so that should spur me on a little.

I am however quite fed up of education and want to move on so I can't wait for graduation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I know this forum is about two years old, but here's my experience...

I'm transferring to Brunel from Sheffield Hallam and moving up north from London was the biggest mistake of my life. I always thought uni was the best year of your life, and my experience at Hallam was marked by making only a few friends, unpleasant coursemates, unpleasant flatmates in first year and badly run societies destroying my confidence. There were only a few odd positives, like briefly working for the student magazine and being part of the improv society. However, they weren't enough to overshadow the negatives.

SHU Drama Society is the worst society ever, which is a shame as I love drama and was part of a youth theatre group. The group description had misleading information, like saying they do workshops and as a matter of fact, they don't. The selection process for shows is based in who is friends with the committee or the production team of shows. It's the same thing for proposing shows for SHU Drama. It's laughable that the society has an equal opportunities officer, because the society is more of a conspiracy. When I was a member there, I wasn't appreciated for anything, like when I helped backstage and did publicity for the shows, and although some of the members were ok, pretty much everyone were very unpleasant and were too stuck up and snobby. In fact, just recently, nobody from that society wished my happy birthday. It may not seem like a big deal, but the fact NOBODY from SHU Drama did just shows how hurtful they are.

Even though what happened at Hallam really annoys me, despite the few odd positives, I am so happy to be transferring to Brunel and I am confident of having a much better experience there. With Brunel being in London, it doesn't seem adventurous staying in London, but I gave it over a year in Sheffield, so I have tried living outside of London. I do love living in London and I know that I will enjoy going to Brunel.

ReputationRep:
    In 2nd year now and so far it has been mostly boring.

The best way I can describe university is that it isn't too dissimilar to school. You still get your bullies, your try hards, your slackers and the popular people doing useless degrees.

1st year was finding your feet as like any other first year with timetables and whatnot. The most I have learnt so far within uni is the politicking that goes on. Lots and lots of insecure young people wanting to feel important at every opportunity along with a hell of a lot of tutors pets. There is this one mature student who looks down on everyone because she is a single mother of two and is head of one of the societies because she got friendly with one of the lecturers rather than have an election.

The work is ok I guess although for 9 grand I feel I am getting very ripped off for what I'm actually getting.

Can't wait to finish to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Awful.

Can't think of anything worse than hundreds and hundreds of young adults packed into one place. *shudder*

ReputationRep:
    1st year and so far it has been absolutely fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely loved it, as did most people I know, this thread is so negative!

ReputationRep:
    Good and bad, I've made friends on the course, keeping on top of my work and have hobbies but weekends are utter crap because of my flatmates. The 2 I get along with go home for the weekend along with another who I'm OK with. I'm left with 2 who only leave their rooms to cook and go to lectures, but they never clean up after themselves. There's one who I don't even know her name after 2 months of living with her because she won't talk to anyone

ReputationRep:
    Who keeps resurrecting these threads?

Being the generally unsocial person that I am, it's been ok but hardly the best years of my life. I'm lucky enough to know plenty of people as unsocial as me though

First year was great but I wish I'd joined more societies. Went out a fair amount until about halfway through then realised that it just wasn't my thing.
    Second year was tolerable but had a pretty high difficulty gradient. Also my living situation wasn't great.
    Third year, this year is busy. I have way too much work and never feel like I've done enough. Add placement applications to the mix and I have a pretty hefty sleep debt
    That being said, it's not too bad but I'd like to try to meet some more people.
    I can only imagine the workload for 4th year, not looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I went to two different Universities and had a vastly different experience at either one. I can honestly say that I hated my life while I was at one, and absolutely loved every second of the experience in the other. It really depends on the school.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time! 3 years of pointless crap unless your doing Medicine or a related degree. Better to have on the job training. 75% of the material you learn you will never ever use in your life.

ReputationRep:
    As I'm nearly halfway through final year, I think I can say that, discounting any proper miracles next semester, it's been pretty poor for me. First year was disappointing - I struggled to make friends and became very depressed and isolated, and don't have the fun memories that a lot of people do of that year. Things were better in second year once I moved in with a couple of friends, but we also had to deal with a complete nightmare living situation with the worst housemates ever. Third year has been pretty grim so far, so much work on a course I don't care about anymore and not enough play.

I've enjoyed living in a city and being independent - uni has taught me that I'm a lot more responsible and intelligent that I give myself credit for. I'm also quite proud of myself for sticking it out through the dreadful times I've endured, especially in first year when it would have been so easy for me to just pack it all in and leave. I've had some good times, but they've been few and far between, and made only a couple of good friends. I feel more sad and disappointed than anything else, when I think back to how excited I was before uni and how it's turned out to be for me. I think I'll be glad to leave next summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph87)
    Ok, I know this forum is about two years old, but here's my experience...

I'm transferring to Brunel from Sheffield Hallam and moving up north from London was the biggest mistake of my life. I always thought uni was the best year of your life, and my experience at Hallam was marked by making only a few friends, unpleasant coursemates, unpleasant flatmates in first year and badly run societies destroying my confidence. There were only a few odd positives, like briefly working for the student magazine and being part of the improv society. However, they weren't enough to overshadow the negatives.

SHU Drama Society is the worst society ever, which is a shame as I love drama and was part of a youth theatre group. The group description had misleading information, like saying they do workshops and as a matter of fact, they don't. The selection process for shows is based in who is friends with the committee or the production team of shows. It's the same thing for proposing shows for SHU Drama. It's laughable that the society has an equal opportunities officer, because the society is more of a conspiracy. When I was a member there, I wasn't appreciated for anything, like when I helped backstage and did publicity for the shows, and although some of the members were ok, pretty much everyone were very unpleasant and were too stuck up and snobby. In fact, just recently, nobody from that society wished my happy birthday. It may not seem like a big deal, but the fact NOBODY from SHU Drama did just shows how hurtful they are.

Even though what happened at Hallam really annoys me, despite the few odd positives, I am so happy to be transferring to Brunel and I am confident of having a much better experience there. With Brunel being in London, it doesn't seem adventurous staying in London, but I gave it over a year in Sheffield, so I have tried living outside of London. I do love living in London and I know that I will enjoy going to Brunel.
    SH is one of my options o.o

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.