Turn on thread page Beta

Independent school pupils dominate medicine courses watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    i'm writing up a phd, doing a teaching job at a russell group uni. gep entrant for 2011. fellow ex-grammar school boy, ha.
    ahh right, well good luck

lol grammar schools are the best thing EVER - the solution to all the problems!

ReputationRep:
    got a place, so relaxing on the luck front for now... until term starts! but thanks
    I agree re: grammar schools, magic wand for education problems to some extent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Well i can tell you that the FY1s at my hospital are almost scared to talk to other departments lol, they're hardly rude to them!

Its the consultants that are the worst offenders
    some are, i know one of the MLA used to just try and ruin anyone new, including the F1, but than she had been there like 40+ years

talking to other departments is scray for a few times, its when the senior starts going here talk to this person, or a patient when you have had no real training to do that apart from on the job

its not so much rude, more lacking something, A&E are the best

as a F1 you really are the ***** of the hospital at times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    Well, you don't need contacts to get a work experience placement. It will probably help but it isn't required by any means since many hospitals run their own work experience programmes which applicants can apply for, regardless of their background.
    Most of mine was through "contacts" (who I endlessly nagged), and I had to pay for one week of work experience somewhere (luckily I could afford it) but it's a shame that this particular placement priced people out.
    I got 2 days from my local hospital. Which took about a year.
    And I can't apply anywhere else in my county now.

Also talking to friends from private schools the difference is huge.
    8 people to a class, endless extra curriculars etc. but tons of them don't get in as well.
    I think the people worst off are the ones at genuinely terrible, bottom of the league table schools who are there just because they live in the wrong area.

Bring back grammar schools maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    hello
    I can't rep you more than once, so I just would like to say, very well argued.

(And that means very objectively argued, as far as I can tell. I don't get the ad hominem "chip on your shoulder" attacks... didn't see anything in your posts to imply this at all.)

Good luck with your PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    ahh right, well good luck

lol grammar schools are the best thing EVER - the solution to all the problems!
    Not IMO they're not.

I've gone into length about the pitfalls of grammar schools on other threads, but for all intents and purposes, they're basically private-school 'lite'.

I much prefer comprehensives with sets and bands.

Then again, of course, they would only suffer from the same problems as grammars do.

Money talks. Money will get you private tutoring at whatever level you want it, so money will always skew the education system in one way or another. Sadly. I would much prefer a total meritocracy, where each child is valued on their academic merit and nothing else, but that would never happen.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.