Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Unless the OP has personal issues that were best kept private, I'm assuming this thread was started as a result of the recent press coverage of Pak/Bangi cousin marriage health issue. My earlier post offered the links, here's a quote, links in original:
    But if a typical British Pakistani, whose family tree is already entangled by inbreeding, marries his first cousin, the odds are tripled. Also, although it's not stated here, the odds are that the child will suffer various forms of in-breeding depression that don't rise to the level of a specific disease, but are still mildly deleterious, such as losing a few points of IQ.

Moreover, cousin marriage is to be deplored on multiple grounds. It goes hand in hand with arranged marriages, which we in the West despise. White Europeans are supposed to be beating themselves up with guilt right now over their failure to "integrate" Muslims, but arranged cousin marriages are the surest engine for maintaining Muslim ethnocentrism. And, finally, Muslim cousin marriages are a major engine of immigration fraud. Believing in true love, European countries allow their citizens/subjects to bring in their foreign spouses, but these arranged cousin marriages seldom have anything to do with romance, and often everything to do with getting visas for extended family members.

Obviously, European countries need to stop first cousins from marrying. But, that's not the way you're allowed to think about the problem:

"The problem that faces clinicians is how to deliver genetic services without stigmatizing British Pakistanis on the basis of their marriage pattern."

Stigmatization of cousin marriage is exactly what Britain needs, but it won't happen because it's associated with a politically privileged minority group. As we've seen in the U.S., stigmatization can work when a behavior is seen as either being common among the majority (e.g., drunk driving, smoking) or within a non-privileged minority (e.g., cousin marriage was easily stigmatized because it was associated with white hillbillies, who aren't a political force qua hillbillies). But when a form of bad behavior is linked to a privileged minority, such as gangsta rap or illegitimacy is linked with blacks, it is much harder to stigmatize in a multi-culti society.

The article also hints that British Pakistanis are not razor-sharp thinkers when it comes to modern scientific concepts like genetics:

"The research has found that, for many UK Pakistanis, the very idea of ‘genetic’ disease is unfamiliar, and competes with social, environmental and spiritual understandings of the causes of illness. It has also found that families understand probabilistic risk information not in abstract terms, but according to the social context and circumstances of their lives. Where a recessive disorder is diagnosed, the one in four recurrence risk is interpreted in very different ways by different couples. Their interpretations reflect their prior experiences of fertility and disability, the expectations and experiences of other family members such as siblings and senior kin, their marital and family circumstances, and the social environment of contemporary Britain."

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2005/11/e...-marriage.html
    Also covered here: http://isteve.blogspot.com/2005/11/m...n-britain.html

Cousin marriage is an issue for the forum and for the Brits only as it affects Pak/Bangis and as they affect us. We have to bring them and their cultural norms into the debate, or discuss them in their absence...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Who made that rule?
    It's legal, so it's your business, really.
    Of course your family might be upset.
    Is the first (semi-)incest related thread in which the OP has admitted that they are actually interested in doing it?

i thought it's a "rule" everyone has heard. the thing with a first cousin is that the genetics are still pretty close or something so dating the second cousin is considered safe. i do agree that it's personal business though

ReputationRep:
    I think incest as a concept was around to stop people feeling sexually threatened in their own homes, hence why it's also illegal between adopted children.

So unless you and your cousin are under the same roof and don't plan on producing some bizarre mutant offspring, I see nothing morally wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was going to get back some very critical posts but I'm surprised by how many people agree with it.
    I don't live with and I only see him if there is a big family b'day or funeral, and that's what every few years....
    I'm not sure my family would and I don't intend to find out, if I ever went near my cousin it would be for fun only (sounds a bit wrong) and if I started to develop feelings for them then I would stop, I don't want a relationship of family with him maybe I would if he wasn't family but otherwise ....no, it's just too much hassle for something which I could find with someone else.

And as for the "rule" I have never heard that, also I think European countries should stop cousins marrying, I think it should be illegal because of all the genetic problems etc. And because it can cause a lot of unrest between families.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    Although legal, there is nevertheless a greater likelihood of a child being born with a genetic abnormality/disease than for the general population, although of course not as likely as for closer incestuous relationships.
    This likelihood is minuscule. Even actual brother/sister incest doesn't increase risks by very much, cousin genes hardly register on the risk scale.
    So genetically, no objections, morally, no objections (imo).

ReputationRep:
    It is not illegal and neither is it incest. You are perfectly entitled to marry you cousin. Whether you wanted to or not is another matter!!!

This likelihood is minuscule. Even actual brother/sister incest doesn't increase risks by very much, cousin genes hardly register on the risk scale.
    So genetically, no objections, morally, no objections (imo).
    :confused: :confused:

There are HUGE genetic implications!!! Children born to close relatives are at a massive risk of abnormalities and disease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireharmz)
    And as for the "rule" I have never heard that, also I think European countries should stop cousins marrying, I think it should be illegal because of all the genetic problems etc. And because it can cause a lot of unrest between families.
    You really want to have your cake and eat it, don't'cha?

--------------

... perhaps replacing the word 'cake' with 'cousin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireharmz)
    What do you think about cousins having relationships, as a couple or not, do you consider it wrong?
    It isn't illegal in a law sense, but I think it should be and why is it allowed but still people frown it?

The reason I ask is because I recently met my cousin who I haven't seen for about 5 years, he's absolutely gorgeous and we had real chemistry, it was clear he liked me too but I felt so guilty and so well ugh! for even thinking about him like that, I would never act on it but is it wrong to contemplate it?

xxx
    It isn't. If you don't have children at all, there's no objection. If you don't come from a family which has practised cousin marriage for some generations- which presumably you don't, going by your response- there isn't avery high chance of your children having genetic defects. It takes quite a few repeated intrafamilial matings for that to happen usually. Another debate which discuuses this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t146943.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    blegh
    Insightful, if anything.

--------------

(Original post by LuverlyLawyer)
    It is not illegal and neither is it incest. You are perfectly entitled to marry you cousin. Whether you wanted to or not is another matter!!!

:confused: :confused:

There are HUGE genetic implications!!! Children born to close relatives are at a massive risk of abnormalities and disease.
    What if they take precautions?

And Luton's a dump with chavs and scallies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuverlyLawyer)
    Look it up and I think you'll find they're really not as massive as people think. Less so that certain couples with recessive genes from certain diseases, and they're allowed to have children.

ReputationRep:
    How would you feel if your son married your sisters daughter when your older? (or vice versa). I would be slightly sickened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    You really want to have your cake and eat it, don't'cha?

--------------

... perhaps replacing the word 'cake' with 'cousin'
    :flute:

ReputationRep:
    And Luton's a dump with chavs and scallies.
    Thanks for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    It's true. It's a shithole. Best to nuke it.

ReputationRep:
    You're probably right Which bit in particular don't you like?

ReputationRep:
    There's chavs everywhere...

...and I don't really care if cousins are getting on.

ReputationRep:
    I don,t think that it is wrong as such to have relations with your cousin but it can be dangerous and cause a lot of genetic problems were the cousins/couple to later decide to have children together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishx)
    I don,t think that it is wrong as such to have relations with your cousin but it can be dangerous and cause a lot of genetic problems were the cousins/couple to later decide to have children together
    Well, they could just abort the feotus then or give it to a nice gay couple to look after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    Best to nuke it.
    I thought somebody already had.

--------------

(Original post by spk)
    Well, they could just abort the feotus then or give it to a nice gay couple to look after.
    Why a gay couple?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why a gay couple?
    Why not?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.