Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

French: past/imperfect tense watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    It's Passé Simple. And we use the Passé composé simply because it's informal. The passé simple tends to disappear and to be reduced to very formal or old-fashioned speech, or narration. Maybe it is similar to "is it not?" and "isn't it?".

The reason why we use the passé composé is because it's simpler. Longer maybe but simpler to use. The structure is [present form of Avoir/Être] + [Past participle], it's easy and there are almost no irregulars. While the passé simple has many (Il fut, il eut, etc). Might also be because it's usually simpler to pronounce: compare Nous fîmes de la natation and Nous avons fait de la natation (or even On a fait de la natation) for instance.
    I'm not sure it's objectively more complicated. We use it less so we are less used to it, but it does not seem more complicated than conditionel or the subjonctif (objectively, the former two seems easier because we use them everyday).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LysFromParis)
    I'm not sure it's objectively more complicated. We use it less so we are less used to it, but it does not seem more complicated than conditionel or the subjonctif (objectively, the former two seems easier because we use them everyday).
    It's not but considering these are modes that don't have an equivalent... But then we don't use the Subjonctif passé anymore as well, proof that the stilted/complicated forms tend to disappear from the common language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Are we, by any chance, doing your homework for you?
    haha kinda, just kinda stuck ya know

(Original post by year9sucks)
    haha kinda, just kinda stuck ya know
    Not funny, really. If everyone did that when they got stuck, nobody would ever learn anything.

(Original post by LysFromParis)
    Omelette au fromage.
    Just to be awkward, I'm going to say I want an omelette et fromage. Plus de fromage. Tres plus!

Yes. I know my French is awful. I was joking. I speak Norse. Egg ok ostr!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.