Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you make of the 'artist making process' on reality shows watch

Like the X Factor, Britains got Talent even (refer to Susan Boyle, a success story more than anything) and how stars with a lot or even little talent (Jedward) seem to automatically be churned out, whether they place first and win the competition or 3rd, 4th, 5th - Cher Lloyd seems to think she's a celebrity already and Katie Waissels album was out the other day...

Did you buy it? Yeah, neither did I

To be fair, not all of the artists that come out reality shows are bad and this is a re-hashed and tired discussion but I just wanted to see what people on Tsr think - I think that genuinely talented and worthwhile artists can be produced but more often than not that isn't the case - hell even the person that wins the whole show isn't always the best choice (in my opinion)

Alexandra Burke for example, was great at her debut and in the first 2-3 months of her solo career but she's slipped into generic dance and pop music with no soul or real effort in my eyes, her songs are forgettable now and she just objectifies herself so much it's a wonder she's the same person that seemed so reserved back when she auditioned - Fame, it changes people and 'corrupts' good intentioned artists perhaps

I just find it odd when people placed between say 4th and 10th in the runner up category come out with albums and are still considered artists.... not all of the runners up are terrible, but yeah it's almost as if just placing in the final top 10 almost guarantees you an album regardless. Meh

You don't need any singing ability, just the ability to act/mime at a basic level.

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.