Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is any one else doing history coursework with the question: Access the significance of the role of individuals in reducing racial discrimination in the USA in the period 1877 – 1981.?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt anyone here is doing exactly the same question as yours. Each school does different topics for their coursework (e.g. American civil war, Russian revolution, etc.), and after that, the teachers of each of those schools devise their own questions for their students, or to mix things up even more they may allow them to set their own.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, let me re-phrase then; is anyone doing a similar type of question to me?
    I just don't know how to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    Help?! I'm so stuck on this coursework!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmin11)
    Is any one else doing history coursework with the question: Access the significance of the role of individuals in reducing racial discrimination in the USA in the period 1877 – 1981.?
    I would start by researching notable anti-racism individuals active in the period in America.

Figures such as Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and even Bob Dylan could be used. I am not sure of any earlier prominant people - there will be though, its your essay, up to you to research :P

Then you could go on to assess their impact on reducing racial discrimination. One argument could be that these people were crucial to the campaign, acting as catalysts for change, providing leadership to the population.

The contrasting view could be that individuals hintered and exacerbated racial discrimination, you would write about Malcolm X whos violent tactics alienated the black rights movement and caused divisions to the movement.

I think any essay should include a mention of the benefits and drawbacks of individuals role.

The topic is vast and there is, of course, no one right answer. I have just outlined how I would start to plan an essay, I haven't studied this topic so I'm not the most reliable person on this.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh I have a similar title for my coursework and am SO lost with it. The deadline is in two weeks and all I have is an introduction and half of the most detailed plan ever made. No one has a clue what they're doing in my class because our teacher left a couple of weeks ago (and decided not to tell us about this until the day before he left) and he didn't really teach us a lot of the course. My exact title is:

To what extent, in the context of the period 1877 to 2009, did President Kennedy and Doctor Martin Luther King “make justice a reality for all of God’s children”?

It is hideous and I've been doing all nighters a couple of nights every week and I'm still getting nowhere AND I have no idea what Martin Luther King actually did. Pretty sure he just spoke a lot and used stupid extended metaphors. I've read two of his books and I still don't see what he contributed to the civil rights movement. Eugh, Levels are hard.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and for your title I guess I would talk about the lesser known people like A Philip Randalph, Jo Ann Robinson, James Meredith, etc etc and maybe contrast the big names like JFK, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X with the less infamous people that arguably did more (Johnson, leaders of CORE and SNCC etc). You could also say some stuff about landmark Supreme Court cases such as Brown vs Topeka Board of Education or Plessy vs Ferguson (my personal favourite). The obvious things to talk about judging by your time period would be the 1877 Compromise and the lynching of Michael Donald in Alabama in 1981. Sorry if this is completely useless but I'm not exactly doing amazingly with my own coursework haha.

ReputationRep:
    Wow your question seems hard! Makes mine look a lot easier! My coursework is due in a week and I've done 900 words My main point of argument was going to be as individuals impact was limited but as a collective movement change was more prominent.
    King's main significance was that he motivated and inspired others to become active in the movement (even white people). Also due to his high media and national profile, King was able to act as the link between the civil rights movement and the White House. But his influence was centered in the South and he was just simply a figurehead. In the sense of real achievements he didn't do much. And President Kennedy was pushed into helping African Americans by the many protests rather than doing anything by his own accord.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.